Sleeping in truck or tent

mxracer317

This year is my year to hunt... a lot! I've put in for multiple Western States for elk & deer and will be going for antelope as well.

My wife is good with me taking off Thursday evenings and coming back on Sunday evening as much as I need to. I definitely married up!

Right now I have a 2016 Duramax, 6.6' bed, and I'm 5'10, so I can layout in the bed without having to sleep on an angle.

I also just bought a "Decked" drawer system to keep my gear ready to rock and roll when I leave Thursday after work.

The nice thing about the Decked system is that it gives you a larger raised platform for a bed area.

But I'm debating throwing a A.R.E topper on the truck and sleeping inside the shell OR going the truck tent route. I don't have experience with either... I've primarily been a set up a tent and sleep on the ground hunter.

However, with the amount of hunting I want to be doing, I'm not too keen on the ground tent. Kinda want to keep it mobile.

I would be hunting end of August through November, so the temperatures are going to swing pretty decently over those months.

Does anyone have experience with sleeping/hunting out of a truck with a topper or should I lean more towards the truck tent like the Smittybilt GEN2 Overlander Tent XL?

I have all the gear to make either option comfortable and warm...

Thanks in advance!

So I’ve prob only done this like 7 nights.
5 in Bozeman the 1st week in March(coldish) 2 in Kansas/Colorado in September (hotish) but the rei all season bivy worked well for me as a solo car camping setup.
In fact, after recently spending 4 nights in a hilleberg directly on snow the thought of that all season bivy in the bed of my pickup after a day of skiing seems like a fine hotel.
It sets up instantly.
If shit hits the fan, get in the car.

I've spent quite a few nites in my rig over the years... most of September last year. Truck toppers are great, especially if you have one of those drawer systems.. just make sure you have plenty of blankets/pads/bags. It gets cold in those things! 2 years ago I bought a well used Toyota sequoia.. doesn't have the room a truck bed does but for one guy it's perfect. As mentioned crack a window slightly, I use big Tupperware bins if I have much gear with me so I can quickly sit it outside if need be. BE SURE to find as level a spot to park as possible. Also dust is the mortal enemy of anyone who camps in their truck bed.. plan accordingly

Attachments

• 20200926_192308.jpg
    20200926_192308.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
I will say a con is that you have to move things out of the topper to make room to sleep. Easier than pitching a tent though.
What kind of things will need to be moved out to sleep? That's what I was hoping the Decked system would take care of.

So I’ve prob only done this like 7 nights.
5 in Bozeman the 1st week in March(coldish) 2 in Kansas/Colorado in September (hotish) but the rei all season bivy worked well for me as a solo car camping setup.
In fact, after recently spending 4 nights in a hilleberg directly on snow the thought of that all season bivy in the bed of my pickup after a day of skiing seems like a fine hotel.
It sets up instantly.
If shit hits the fan, get in the car.
The Hilleberg seemed like a fine hotel? Which model and how long is the set up?

I don’t really get the appeal of truck tents, but I’ve never used one. It takes about 3 minutes to set up your backpacking tent on the ground and it won’t cost you $1500. Or sleep under a topper if you want.
I guess I'm kinda liking the idea of going more mobile? If I can convince my wife to come (big IF) then the security of being off the ground is something that will give her more peace of mind.

How about none of the above.

I did a trip through CO, MT, ID, and OR last year, 45 day hunting in all. I've got a 4dr Tundra. I took out the back seat and the passenger seat. Then I cut up a 14" memory foam mattress to fit where the seats used to be. Bought 4 memory foam pillows for extra padding where I might need it. If your going to do it, position the mattress to leave some room for your feet underneath the dash. Removing the back seat opens up more room to store stuff behind the drivers seat. During the day I stored equipment on the mattress, at night I moved it off onto drivers seat and floorboard. I also had a heater when I needed it. I had 6 extra gas cans in the back for when I wanted to be mobile for days without having to gas up. I'm 6'4" and I slept like a baby. Had a blast.

Bought the mattress of Facebook for $30 and the pillows from Craigslist for $10 each.

It’s all about budget and expenses. What do you already own at this point or what can you spend moving on? You can buy a camper (even used) but get a lot of hotel nights for the price. Would you want one anyway? I’m a shell guy but been enjoying not having one right now. A shell is great to sleep in, store gear, and adventure out of but budgets dictate all. Ha

The Hilleberg seemed like a fine hotel? Which model and how long is the set up?
Actually I was referring to the rei all season bivy. I think several other companies make comparable models.
I think this one was $200 full retail and for my 7 day car camping career I’ve found it to be very convenient.
It weighs and packs down to almost nothing. About the size of a 25oz bud light.
you literally just unroll it and slide in one pole.
If you’re right there at the car with heat and oh shit shelter it’s not a bad way to go.

I don’t think it’s my cup of tea for backpacking though.
from 1 nights experience and forum masters advice I found out that if it’s raining while you’re trying to go to sleep the bivy is a pita IMO.

Back