Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sleeping in truck or tent

I'd go raised topper for sure. I've spent a bunch of nights in mine and the extra headroom, especially with a raised sleeping platform is really nice. There is also no setup involved with the topper. For weekend hunts, I lay out my sleeping bag first and then pack around it. Basically, sleeping bag on one side and coolers and maybe a water jug on the other. Everything else goes in the cab or in the drawers under the sleeping platform. You have to get a little clever with your packing, but you've got a big truck so it shouldn't be too hard as long as you don't need a ton of comfort items.
I have a big yeti 210. Do you think that is a bad idea to keep the cooler in the shell if I’m trying to keep warm on a cold night?

Moving that thing is a beast, and I was thinking about just hopping in the down sleeping bag and throw a beanie on my head and call it good. Cooler seems insulated enough. I just don’t want it to cool down the enclosed area I’m trying to keep warm. Does that make sense?

I have a big yeti 210. Do you think that is a bad idea to keep the cooler in the shell if I’m trying to keep warm on a cold night?

Moving that thing is a beast, and I was thinking about just hopping in the down sleeping bag and throw a beanie on my head and call it good. Cooler seems insulated enough. I just don’t want it to cool down the enclosed area I’m trying to keep warm. Does that make sense?

The beauty of good coolers is they don't exchange heat with their surroundings. You could run a Mr. Heater Buddy and not warm up your cooler, and visa versa.

My son and I spent around 12 nights in the back of the truck (with ARE topper) this past season and I much prefer it to the tent. As others have mentioned everything is either in totes or coolers so they come out in minutes. If it's just me, they stay in as there is plenty of room for 1.

I like the topper because it frees up all the room in the cab of the truck as well. Without the topper I was always nervous about leaving anything in the bed of my truck so I'd be locking coolers and everything in the cab when I was out hunting. Granted if someone wants to steal anything, they'll just break the window but I feel safer with everything locked under the topper.

I am absolutely convinced the truck topper is the way to go now!

Because I’m doing the “decked” drawer system, my only concern with my big yeti 210 is where to fit it? I’m sure it would fit in the topper on the decked platform, but that thing is HEAVY and worry about moving it with ice, especially to fill with elk quarters.

Had a shell on both my Toyota's. Rack with basket is big help. Bins & 120qt coolers hold gear. Great for mobility.
I did have a nice 4 person dome tent that I would take too if I had base camp. Quick to get up and you could stand up in. I broke a rod.Gotta get fix kit for that...until then my packing tent goes in shell.

I came to add my 2 cents but you've already decided. Yeah, skip the truck tent. Camper shell is the best bang for the buck way to be fast and comfortable (relatively).

Re. the cooler: Once you start loading up the big coolers IMO they stay where they are unless you've got an extra set of hands. The hitch carrier is a good idea (with it's own drawbacks). Another is: just don't worry about it. If you've shot an animal then you're headed home, right? So no big deal if it takes up your sleeping space. And if you don't have an animal in there then you can move the cooler in and out. Or just sleep beside it. I've done both.

Also: with the Decked system you're ahead of hte game already. That increases the usefuless of the shell a lot.

We have a rooftop tent on our Tundra, it works well when its my wife and I doing quick weekend trips for hiking/fishing or whatever. Its slightly bigger than a queen size bed and the foam mattress is a lot nicer and more comfortable than using our 3-person backpacking tent. Sets up and goes down pretty fast, even with one person but it does not "feel" mobile if that makes sense. I just don't like to use it for hunting since it doesn't work well as a basecamp and I don't want to spend the $$ on an overland trailer. So recently ended up ordering a Kodiak tent for a basecamp.

Because I’m doing the “decked” drawer system, my only concern with my big yeti 210 is where to fit it? I’m sure it would fit in the topper on the decked platform, but that thing is HEAVY and worry about moving it with ice, especially to fill with elk quarters.
What I have done is get the full opening windows on the side of the topper. Put the cooler inside lengthwise with the latches facing the side opening window. When you need to get in and out of it, you can just pop open the side window and open the cooler from there. It isn't the greatest solution and may or may not work with a bone-in elk quarter, but it'll work with deboned meat and just about anything else as long as it fits through the side window. The side opening windows are a huge help in lots of situations and I'd definitely recommend at least one side having one, especially with a big truck.

I came to add my 2 cents but you've already decided. Yeah, skip the truck tent. Camper shell is the best bang for the buck way to be fast and comfortable (relatively).

Re. the cooler: Once you start loading up the big coolers IMO they stay where they are unless you've got an extra set of hands. The hitch carrier is a good idea (with it's own drawbacks). Another is: just don't worry about it. If you've shot an animal then you're headed home, right? So no big deal if it takes up your sleeping space. And if you don't have an animal in there then you can move the cooler in and out. Or just sleep beside it. I've done both.

Also: with the Decked system you're ahead of hte game already. That increases the usefuless of the shell a lot.
I kind of just had a aha moment that putting the yeti 210 inside of a shell, might raise it too close to the ceiling of the topper (using the decked system) and not being able to open the lid! Yikes.

I've spent a few nights in Hotel Nissan when the Lund Arms is inhospitable...aka raining. Also stayed there on my last trip to Wyoming...works well but just remember where you are when standing up at night to do business 😬😬

Get the tall topper, I have a cab-height one and Decked drawers and I can't sit up in there, a extra few inches of headroom would be golden...

Last edited:
Last year alone I spent about 50 nights in my topper. I love it for the quick trips and staying mobile... nothing to set up or tear down. Archery hunting I just leave the big cooler on a hitch rack and climb over it, it's a beat to crap cheapo cooler so not worried about it getting stolen.
Once it gets real cold I don't mess around with sleeping in the truck though... later rifle season till about april I'm setting up a cozy wall tent and wood stove.

I am another vote for the topper camping set up. I have an ARE on my Tacoma, built a plywood platform to sleep on. I use a couple plastic tubs and an old footlocker to keep things organized. I also removed the rear seats from the truck and built a platform in there to stow my cooler and a few other items as well. Everything is organized and moving camp is a matter of strapping down my rifle and pack in their spot and heading out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back