Caribou Gear Tarp

Sleeping in truck or tent

I have spent about 295 nights in the backseat of Tundra since about May 2016. Cheap and quick starts in the morning. 😁
I've been thinking about just sleeping in the backseat of my Tundra while elk hunting. How comfortable is trying sleeping this way.

I've been thinking about just sleeping in the backseat of my Tundra while elk hunting. How comfortable is trying sleeping this way.
I've spent many of nights in my 04 Tundra. I lay down the backrest of my backseat which makes a flat platform to layout a foam beadroll. I'm 6', so I can't completely straighten out my legs which is the downside. Its really nice to turn over the truck and get some heat blasting when elk hunting in November.

I picked up a canvas cutter this year to throw down in the bed of my truck and see how that goes.

This year is my year to hunt... a lot! I've put in for multiple Western States for elk & deer and will be going for antelope as well.

My wife is good with me taking off Thursday evenings and coming back on Sunday evening as much as I need to. I definitely married up!

Right now I have a 2016 Duramax, 6.6' bed, and I'm 5'10, so I can layout in the bed without having to sleep on an angle.

I also just bought a "Decked" drawer system to keep my gear ready to rock and roll when I leave Thursday after work.

The nice thing about the Decked system is that it gives you a larger raised platform for a bed area.

But I'm debating throwing a A.R.E topper on the truck and sleeping inside the shell OR going the truck tent route. I don't have experience with either... I've primarily been a set up a tent and sleep on the ground hunter.

However, with the amount of hunting I want to be doing, I'm not too keen on the ground tent. Kinda want to keep it mobile.

I would be hunting end of August through November, so the temperatures are going to swing pretty decently over those months.

Does anyone have experience with sleeping/hunting out of a truck with a topper or should I lean more towards the truck tent like the Smittybilt GEN2 Overlander Tent XL?

I have all the gear to make either option comfortable and warm...

Thanks in advance!
I opted for a RTT…happy with my choice. Can set up and tear down in a few minutes.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back