Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Should Have Bought A Tundra

Just jumping to show my 2021 tundra I just picked up had a '14 double cab with the 4.6 the new one has the 5.7 and crewmax for the kids. Wanted to upgrade before the engine change in 2022.Hoping once I add a cap I can fit enough coolers to bring a possible 2 elk back home. Im guessing a hitch rack may be in order also.20201227_092200.jpg

Biggest mistake I've ever made, vehicle wise, was to go from a Toyota Tacoma to a Chevy Silverado...

I owned my Taco 10 years and only changed two ball joints on it and it was most likely due to the fact that I was running a 3in lift, 33s and spacers. Now, I've owned my Silverado for a year now and have had at least 4 recalls, changed the tailgate mechanism, changed a bunch of stuff in the POS radio display, had the power steering give out, etc.

Biggest mistake I've ever made, vehicle wise, was to go from a Toyota Tacoma to a Chevy Silverado...

I owned my Taco 10 years and only changed two ball joints on it and it was most likely due to the fact that I was running a 3in lift, 33s and spacers. Now, I've owned my Silverado for a year now and have had at least 4 recalls, changed the tailgate mechanism, changed a bunch of stuff in the POS radio display, had the power steering give out, etc.

I've always been a Chevy guy and have had good luck, but I hear you. They are always having recalls and I think they put too much emphasis on fancy electronics and tailgates, etc. when they should really be chasing Toyota's reliability. I have diesel Colorado that has 50k miles now and I'm hoping for another 100k before trading up. It's been pretty solid so far other than the turbo needing to be replaced at 20k (replaced under warranty). Probably would've bought a Tundra if the mileage wasn't so poor. I like that Toyota is slow to "modernize" their vehicles though. They place a premium on reliability and working out the kinds and don't care too much about the fanciest new gadgets.

I've always been a Chevy guy and have had good luck, but I hear you. They are always having recalls and I think they put too much emphasis on fancy electronics and tailgates, etc. when they should really be chasing Toyota's reliability. I have diesel Colorado that has 50k miles now and I'm hoping for another 100k before trading up. It's been pretty solid so far other than the turbo needing to be replaced at 20k (replaced under warranty). Probably would've bought a Tundra if the mileage wasn't so poor. I like that Toyota is slow to "modernize" their vehicles though. They place a premium on reliability and working out the kinds and don't care too much about the fanciest new gadgets.

I hate gadgets on a truck, everything is turning to electronics and it sucks. Sure these are all "nice things" when they're up and running, but I would rather have a reliable truck with limited electronics... It's just expensive stuff that can break and the repair cost for the "electrical guy" are insane...

I hate gadgets on a truck, everything is turning to electronics and it sucks. Sure these are all "nice things" when they're up and running, but I would rather have a reliable truck with limited electronics... It's just expensive stuff that can break and the repair cost for the "electrical guy" are insane...
Yup wish you could buy knejust like they were back in the day, when I bought my current truck a '16 the guy said oh this is kinda plain. It still has more shit on it than I want.

Just got a new silverado today to replace my totalled tacoma. Thanks for giving a guy confidence in his decision 🤣

I’m having the same issue. I think it’s great everybody loves their trucks. I buy Toyota for reliability and longevity. Problem is I need a 4 door 1 ton diesel with an 8’ bed. Toyota can’t meet this need. Looking for the best ~10 year old 1 ton, if anybody has any thoughts... any model years to stay away from? I don’t plan to mod or even chip. Just need to haul and keep it on the road.

Last edited:
I just got a 2021 ram 1/2 ton as work issued vehicle. I had to at least replace the wheels from factory form out of pocket. It’s light years ahead of the 2017 I had(also a mopar). It’s just as nice or nicer to drive than my wife’s 2020 tundra but if it comes down to my own money bent spent and all other factors I just have to go with Toyota.

i will say that being a two-pickup family has always been a dream of mine tho.38035B2E-368B-4C02-8A4D-1EEB102362EB.jpegC4CD7841-5752-4B62-8291-7B5BD06C1064.jpeg

I’m having the same issue. I think it’s great everybody loves their trucks. I buy Toyota for reliability and longevity. Problem is I need a 4 door 1 ton diesel with an 8’ bed. Toyota can’t meet this need. Looking for the best ~10 year old 1 ton, if anybody has any thoughts... any model years to stay away from? I don’t plan to mod or even chip. Just need to haul and keep it on the road.
Find a early 2000s Ford with the 7.3l stroker in it. Shouldn't be too hard to find one with under 150k miles on it.

I'd love to see a TRD Pro hybrid.
You might not have to wait long. 2022 model year the Tundras will be getting a full make over. No more V8s, new frames, new body styles, new digi-hubs in the interior, and the rumor is there will be 2 versions of the twin turbo v6 from the lexus. One will have a hybrid drive option in it.

My 2012 has just over 100k on it, another few years will give mine time to age like a fine wine and these new ones time to marinate so I can see what types of problems they have... then I can just pay cash for a used one that some dipshit drove for 2 years/25k before trading it in to please his ego.

I have a 2017 Tundra. Can I put spacers on the front and run vbar chains. If so what size.1.5”,1.75,2”. Does anybody do it?

You might not have to wait long. 2022 model year the Tundras will be getting a full make over. No more V8s, new frames, new body styles, new digi-hubs in the interior, and the rumor is there will be 2 versions of the twin turbo v6 from the lexus. One will have a hybrid drive option in it.

My 2012 has just over 100k on it, another few years will give mine time to age like a fine wine and these new ones time to marinate so I can see what types of problems they have... then I can just pay cash for a used one that some dipshit drove for 2 years/25k before trading it in to please his ego.
I have similar plans. My 08 is about to hit 100k. In 8-9 years it'll be around 225-250k. I'll sell it for $10,000 and buy one of the 4th generations, unless there is something better on the used market at that time.

I have similar plans. My 08 is about to hit 100k. In 8-9 years it'll be around 225-250k. I'll sell it for $10,000 and buy one of the 4th generations, unless there is something better on the used market at that time.
As terrible as this sounds, I'm keeping mine due to sentimental value...and something tells me I'll always like the idea of having an old gasser V8 in my garage for me to tinker with.

I'm really curious on this also.

When I bought my FJ, I could've bought a brand new Tacoma for a very similar price. The FJ was spec'd much more for what I wanted and more capable, and had already lost it's depreciation. It was still a really hard decision and I'm not sure it was the right one.
What year FJ? I own a 2012 and use it mostly for hunting...thing is a tank, but I don’t dare go far without my 5 ga jerry. Was able to fit 10 days worth of backpacking gear, food, water and haul a 6x6 bull out in Sep. Head was on the roof of course, but still...

What year FJ? I own a 2012 and use it mostly for hunting...thing is a tank, but I don’t dare go far without my 5 ga jerry. Was able to fit 10 days worth of backpacking gear, food, water and haul a 6x6 bull out in Sep. Head was on the roof of course, but still...
Wish I had bought an FJ a few years ago when I was considering it. Where I am, they literally do not depreciate.

They can spar all they want over the longest lasting. F150, silverado, and ram in that order are still the best selling vehicles every year. That's vehicles not just trucks. They must get from point A to point B pretty good.
To each their own like JLS said drive what makes you happy, But this argument with today's technology is just pointless.
Tundra sells so badly there is talk of discontinuing the truck. I like tundras but when it comes to sales they dont have a leg to stand on. They just cant crack the American full size pickup nut.
Until Toyota can come up with a truck that can compete with "heavy load hauling" it's not even an option for most who are serious about actually using a full size truck for what it was made for. If your day to day grocery getting and maybe a small boat or trailer towing from time to time and need room for lumber on occasion or hauling some gravel I guess a Tundra will work but ask it to do real work and it's gonna be lagging far behind any of the big 3 diesel models. All perspective here. When you compare the tundra to all full size model trucks for heavy use it falls short. If it's for daily getting around, commuting and the like, sure it's not. a bad truck at all and may even be a better option if you're in the market for that sort of full size truck. Just my .02

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back