Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Should Have Bought A Tundra

06' manual Corolla.... 250k I'm still on the original clutch.

woof

i had to replace the clutch on my manual '96 suby at 160k or so last summer. was slipping like the dickens. maybe more due to the clutch having been manufactured 20 years prior compared to yours, or just not being a toyota clutch. who knows

damn car is bulletproof though. still have it. hard to rationalize why i bought a truck

Own a Tundra now but my previous 2007 GMC Duramax cost me 43k new, drove it for 12 years put 100k miles on it and sold it in 24hrs for 35k. New diesels are so expensive the old ones are like gold around here. Not sure my Tundra will do that well in resale.

I drive a 2013 Tundra, and I've put 125K miles on it thus far. Drove a GMC before that. Unless Toyota screws things up, my next truck will be another Tundra.

Maybe boots are a good analogy. I like autos that last forever and require very little maintenance and I don't care very much about looks or comfort or widgets. Boots, on the other hand, I want comfortable and lightweight, even though they may only last a season or two.

I just enjoy watching the mental gymnastics some will go through to defend their choice, rather than just admitting that brand B is not as reliable as brand A. And too often, in my opinion, brand A is ruled out because it is just not cool in certain social circles.
Kinda like posting this thread in the first place. mtmuley

I just enjoy watching the mental gymnastics some will go through to defend their choice, rather than just admitting that brand B is not as reliable as brand A. And too often, in my opinion, brand A is ruled out because it is just not cool in certain social circles
I agree with your premise but what you fail to take into consideration when demanding A is better than B to some based on a study is someone like me for example who owns a toyota currently and four of them over the years. I freaking love them! That being said a 99 4Runner with 188k took a complete crap on me going 75mph down the interstate. $1000s to fix it. Had a 2013 Corolla bought with 6k on it before 30k the transmission went out. Under warranty and free fix.
I also currently own an 09 silverado with 120k and have owned 2 other chevys over the years. None of which ever broke down on me like 2 of my toyotas. My father has owned Silverados since the 80s and to my memory growing up we never broke down. Both species were regularly maintained the same. So I grew up in a chevy they have taken care of me my whole life. Never a bad memory in one. Grandfather owned ford since before I was born and runs a farm still farming in his 80s now and the F150 has been a farm workhorse the whole time with great reliability.
So with all that said you wanna throw a study at me and expect me to say A is better than B or C. That wont happen because as the study relates to me it would be wrong. But I still love my toyotas!!

And I have not once said one is better than the other in this thread to be clear. Because it's an unanswerable question. 😉

I'm really curious on this also.

When I bought my FJ, I could've bought a brand new Tacoma for a very similar price. The FJ was spec'd much more for what I wanted and more capable, and had already lost it's depreciation. It was still a really hard decision and I'm not sure it was the right one.
I've taken the buy it new and never sell approach as an adult. I saw my parents struggle with lemons. However, I have two coworkers that flip rigs pretty frequently and so far haven't been burned and typically break even on costs between purchase and sales. So they're effectively driving for free outside of maintenance and gas. You just have to be really picky and, at least in WA, stick with Toyotas and Hondas. Sometimes people just don't do the research and post a car for less than they could get because they just want it gone. And on the selling side, there's a sucker born every minute. On that latter note, I couldn't believe how much someone paid for my '93 Toyota pickup when I sold it, I really didn't want to but we needed a larger truck for a growing family so I put an number down that was a shade below outrageous and eventually someone took me up on it.

Bought 02 hd2500 chev with 3 miles on it in 01.

It just rolled over 170k.

My "new truck" is a 04 3500 cummins that celebrated its 109k mark by losing second gear(I know big shocker there)

I tend to rotate trucks. The 02 is a work truck until the 04 replaces it.

However. For the most part I can turn wrenches on them.

These new ones?

I'm not an electrical engineer.

If the sticker doesn't scare you to death, the thought of all that electrical wire in my truck sure does.

I really am thinking 3500 cummins chasis cab with a manual and vinyl floor.?

Then never taking it out of the garage and scratching it😵

Assuming you drive a car until it dies what do you think about buying new versus 5 years old?
Do you like you are more likely to do a better job of maintenance in years 1-5, to extend the cars life and offset the deprecation curve costs?

I was crunching the numbers on this back in Dec 16 - Jan 17. Sorry, didn't save my work. Ended up buying a new 2017 Tundra, pretty sure the agreed upon price was around 38k + sales tax and other small fees. I had been looking for something with <50k miles and there were very few options and prices didn't seem that much lower. So decided to go new. Plan on having it for many years.

My wife's 2010 Honda CRV was also bought new for similar reasons. Just hit 152k on the CRV, but putting less miles on it now so I think it might take 8-10 yrs to hit 200k.

I will never run anything but a Tundra from here on. The one that I have will probably last my lifetime if I want it to. It only has 137,000 miles on it, so it is finally broken in! I have done nothing to this but normal service and upgrades. Buy the other trash at your own risk.

For those that do not know, Tundras are built ONLY in San Antonio, Texas, so it is a truly American truck.

I BUY NEW TRUCKS. I SMOKE WEED. I DONT CARE WHAT YOU DRIVE BECAUSE IM TOO BUSY PLANNING MY NEXT HUNT.

DO YOU WORRY ABOUT THE DEPRECIATION OF THAT BAG OF DORITOS? HELL NO...

Bought my Tundra new in '16 and 103k now. A bit pissed that one of the tires gave out on me before its time. Other than that it has done OK. Fingers crossed. ;)

Attachments

• Scenery-12.jpg
    Scenery-12.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 26
I've taken the buy it new and never sell approach as an adult. I saw my parents struggle with lemons. However, I have two coworkers that flip rigs pretty frequently and so far haven't been burned and typically break even on costs between purchase and sales. So they're effectively driving for free outside of maintenance and gas. You just have to be really picky and, at least in WA, stick with Toyotas and Hondas. Sometimes people just don't do the research and post a car for less than they could get because they just want it gone. And on the selling side, there's a sucker born every minute. On that latter note, I couldn't believe how much someone paid for my '93 Toyota pickup when I sold it, I really didn't want to but we needed a larger truck for a growing family so I put an number down that was a shade below outrageous and eventually someone took me up on it.
It's not really driving for free if you always have a car payment.

No doubt the tundras are reliable and a great choice if you don't care about fuel mileage. The Detroit big 3 have to add so much tech to meet CAFE standards that the odds of something going wrong are simply higher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back