Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shotgun of choice?

Remington 870 Turkey Express. Full advantage camo. Does a number on turkeys and coyotes! Bought in 1996 and it has never let me down.

The answer would be all of the guns listed, depending on the species and location of the hunt. For me, it's mostly deer, and with buckshot in the swamp with the dogs running the deer, I'll usually go with a Remington 1100 2 3/4" .12 gauge with a modified choke tube and 00 buckshot (having 5 shots is sometimes a necessity in the swamp). If we're running the dogs in an area where long open shots are a possibility, then it's a Mossberg 935 .12 gauge loaded with 3 1/2" 00 buckshot and full choke tube. If we're driving some light, open hardwoods, then I might pick my Beretta 3" .12 gauge loaded with 1 buck, again with a modified choke. Turkeys I use a Charles Daily .12 gauge pump with an X-tra full turkey choke and 3" #5 turkey loads (6 shots, since we can kill two gobblers per day, down here). Dove, quail, rabbits, and squirrels, then it's time for the Stoeger .20 gauge O/U, and an open and a modified choke, or a Mossberg 500 .12 gauge with a fixed modified barrel.

That's why I'm a firm believer in having more than one gun, since I like specific guns for specific types of game and conditions. We won't go into rifle choices, since that wasn't in the original question.

I got a cheap semi auto that jams a browning bps I can't get the choke out of but by far this guy has killed more game than either of them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 596
Just added the Beretta Urika 2 to my collection this spring. Very nice gun with little recoil and a good shooter. Full camo on gubbroker.com for $950.00.

good luck to all
the dog

I used a Benelli M1 for everything until last season. I purchased a Caesar Guerini O/U 20 last year for uplands and couldn't be happier.
Elitist... ;) That is a beautiful gun!

I use either a camo, ugly as all get out Mossberg 500 12ga or a Rem 870 Express in 20ga. One day I hope to be fancy like miller. I really want a classy, light SXS to hunt with someday.

I really like them all! I use the Mossberg 935 for turkeys and geese. Browning Maxxus for ducks,pheasants, quail, doves. (the Browning is crazy light to carry) Mossberg 500 that I'm modifying for ZOMBIES!!! LOL. If I want to feel like I have money (i don't) I will carry the Ruger Red Label while hunting pheasants sometimes. :)

The good ol Remmington 870 12 ga. pump is the field go to. Gold trigger.
A Krieghoff sits in the gun case too much.

Beretta 390 and 391. Love them and they have never failed me. I do a lot of shotgunning each year for duck, geese, pheasants, some grouse, and deer.

Im not graceful enough to trust myself to own an expensive shotgun. I fall too much. I use my 12 ga. Benelli for duck and geese. The 20 ga. Charles Daly semi-auto goes with me when chasing upland in the hills.

I've shot a ton of shotguns, and some pretty nice ones. But, my nicest shotgun, a Benelli SBE usually sits in the safe. It's nice, and I'm not afraid to use it, but I always find myself resorting back to my Winchester 1300. I don't know what it is about the 1300s, but I love them. I actually just picked up another one of Gunbroker, like new, for $250. Weird, I know. I still like using my little youth Remington 1100 20 gauge with English stock that I received for my 12th birthday. It's fun for dove hunting, even though I'm twice the size that I was when I got it! My deer gun is a Savage 220F bolt.

This year it looks like a Beretta AL391 Urika 20ga.

You should like that gun. I have one and it is all I carry anymore for most of my upland hunting. Those things are so light!!!

I also have a Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U...haven't hardly used it since I bought the auto though.

870,12 gauge it has killed deer,turkeys,pheasant and even a bear last year. I wouldnt trade it for anything!!

Browning BPS Hunter 20 gauge for all upland birds and 12 ga. Ithica pump for everything water-bound. Neither shotgun has ever failed, besides operator error that is. I've run thousands of rounds through them. I can shoot just as fast as my buddies with their $1600.00 autos if speed is a concern to you.

I've got an ugly synthetic Beretta 391 Urika 12 gauge that see's most of upland duty these days, but also use my grandpa's Weatherby Orion 12ga. O/U on occasion. Next shotgun I purchase will probably be a 20 gauge, I just have a hard time deciding on weather to go with another Beretta auto or a semi fancy O/U.

I've got a benelli nova, picked it up last year. It's pretty light I like it, the price was good to. I would suggest that or good ol 870.

I have a Beretta AL 391 12 guage that I used for upland and waterfowl, I love it. I had an opportunity to pick up the same gun in a 20 guage when Scheel's was moving stores in Great Falls. Super price, but I didn't have the money. I always kick myself for that when I'm climbing around the chukar hills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back