Shotgun of choice?

JWP58

Banned
What does everyone hunt with? Semi, pump, SxS, O/U, single?

Last year I used a CZ SxS 20ga. This year it looks like a Beretta AL391 Urika 20ga.

I really need to save up for a Benelli Ultralight 12ga..

Winchester 500 ranger 12 ga pump for deer, Ruger Red Label 12 or Parker-Hale side by side 20 ga for grouse.

Pump. Never fails me even if cold, wet, dusty or sandy. Grew up shooting Winchester Mod 12 in 12 gauge for anything with wings but for years turkey is my only winged game and I use a Binelli Nova 12 ga with an after market super full choke insert.

Over and under for me.
I was always told, if you are over 5' 10'' get a Browning, if you are shorter get a Beretta, i used to own a Browning Citori, i didn't do well (i am 5' 9'') i then bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon 3 O/U 12g, never looked back.
It worked for me, had lots of left and rights and came very close to joining the woodcock club last year.
Cheers
Richard

God i need sleep, just got in from the pub, its 1.00am here!

Old reliable...Remington 870 express magnum. Not one problem in nearly 15 years with her. It lasted longer than my first marriage.

Benelli Super Black Eagle. I have had it for 12 plus years and it has never failed me. Take it from hunting resident geese to dove on the same day only changing chokes.

Remington 870 special field for me. Been shooting it all my life and would love to find another one for sale. I'm used to the english stock now and the pistol style grips on all other shotguns just feel different to me.

As a kid, I started out shooting my Dad's Browning Double Auto Twelvette 12ga semiauto at mostly quail, ducks, and an occasional pheasant. At just over 6 lbs. it pointed like a dream and was easy to carry in the field. When they started requiring steel shot for ducks, I bought a Rem. 870 pump. Great all around gun and affordable on a high schooler's budget. In college, I broke my wrist during the middle of the hunting season and with the cast I found I couldn't eject the shell from my 870. That's when my buddy lent me one of his over and under shotguns to use for the season. I have been an over and under fan ever since. My favorite shotgun to shoot now is a Beretta Onyx 20ga. that my wife bought me as a gift on our first Christmas together. The Beretta fits me well and I use it on all my chukar and hun hunts. But every once in a while I will bring out the old Browning when it is time to chase some pheasant or quail.

I used a Benelli M1 for everything until last season. I purchased a Caesar Guerini O/U 20 last year for uplands and couldn't be happier.

The best shotgun for you is the one that points where you look. I love my SX3 auto, had it 3 years andprobably 4000 shells through it without a hiccup. Have a sporting clays silver pigeon that is fun to shot at clays, but love the SX3 in the field, love the third shot for those triples : )

20 ga 870 wingmaster for about 15 years now. only gun ive ever hunted with. never really likes anything else. just got my wife the sx3 tho, and i really like it

It worked for me, had lots of left and rights and came very close to joining the woodcock club last year.
Cheers
Richard

God i need sleep, just got in from the pub, its 1.00am here!

Just missed out on the woodcock club myself a few years ago when over your way. I'm on the far left stand and the beaters pushed a pair out to my left but too far, so the "Timber Doodles" lived to fly another day.

Just missed out on the woodcock club myself a few years ago when over your way. I'm on the far left stand and the beaters pushed a pair out to my left but too far, so the "Timber Doodles" lived to fly another day.
Tarheel, do you remember the bit of advice often given when you flush a wood @#)(#?

I could have kicked myself with my experience, my friends dog flushed the woodcock and i dropped it, i waited a few seconds, but the dog came back out of the thicket, i assumed nothing else in there, broke my gun to reload and out came another:eek: i dropped it as well but i had reloaded so it didnt count.
Cheers
Richard

Tarheel, do you remember the bit of advice often given when you flush a wood @#)(#?

I could have kicked myself with my experience, my friends dog flushed the woodcock and i dropped it, i waited a few seconds, but the dog came back out of the thicket, i assumed nothing else in there, broke my gun to reload and out came another:eek: i dropped it as well but i had reloaded so it didnt count.
Cheers
Richard

Patience Richard, patience. The double custom isn't observed over here; they're migratory where I live so the window is narrow. If we get one we consider ourselves lucky. I was shooting over a bulb field up in the Fens and had been advised about the possibility of woodcock, so was ready. The pair came out of a small neck of regrowth woods, flying right to left about 25 feet apart, perfect for a double, but they were just ethically too far. The gun on my right was a Knight of the Realm and I had already wiped his tears twice at that location, so didn't want him to think badly of me. He did allow me to shout him a glass of ale at the pub later; nice bloke.

Yep migratory, they come from Scandinavia i believe.
And the answer to my question, 'shoot them before they shit' which might sound crude but is great advice, i guarantee 100% that every time they take off they shit within a couple of seconds, its after they empty their bowels they start to 'chink' and become very difficult to shoot, until they get out of range that is!
Cheers
Richard
Apologies to the OP as this has gone of track.

What does everyone hunt with? Semi, pump, SxS, O/U, single?

YES is the short answer.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back