Caribou Gear Tarp

Shiloh Sharps

noharleyyet

Met a nice fellow at the range yesterday who kindly let me shoot his 45-70. Gorgeous rifle....25 or so lbs. From bags I squinted thru the peep aligning the tiny blade on where I thought the middle of the 3" red circle of a 17" target @ 100 yds was, set the rear trigger and squeezed a 350 gr. round that punched 12 o'clock at the top of the bull....recoil was a gentle push, rush was immediate. Beautiful rifle. Offhand would be a different story.

..wish I'd taken pics. Anyone have a Sharps?

I've always wanted one and have seen some of the Pre-Montana made Shiloh Sharps rifles for sale for what I thought was a good price (though well out of my price range). I think Pedersoli made a decent imitation but haven't seen one in quite awhile.

If you ever get a wild hair, there is a long range target shoot in Forsyth, MT over the Father's Day weekend every year called the Quigley Shoot. The only time I was there they had the rifles used in Quigley Down Under on display. I watched a 10 year old girl hit a buffalo target at 800 yards with ease.

I have 2, one is a #3 with a 30 inch standard weight oct. barrel chambered in 45 2.6 also known as a 45-100. This is my hunting rifle and I use the barrel sights, semi buckhorn rear and a copper penny front blade. The other one is a Montana Roughrider 30 inch heavy 1/2 round in 45-70 aka 45 2.1. I have a 23 inch MVA scope and MVA long range Buffalo Soule and MVA front sight with windage adjustable. I use this one for BPCR silhouette. Both are great rifles and the workman ship is absolutely fabulous. They are pricey but they are well worth the price. You can get it built the way you want with all the options you would ever want. Check out their web site. Both Shiloh and MVA are Montana company's and customer service is awesome.
The 45-70 you can use smokeless or black powder which ever your happy with. In the larger cases black powder is recommended by Shiloh, you can get smokeless loading info from the Lyman manual's but the best way to go is with black powder and cast bullets.
Dan

I got a client out of a serious tax train wreck. Sent them a huge bill for three years of fighting with IRS auditors. The stack of invoices I sent was so big it almost needed to go via Yellow Freight. By far the most complicated project of my CPA life, dealing with Federal and multi-state trust taxation issues.

One day I go over to meet with the ranch manager and discuss some cash planning ideas and he tells me he has something for me. I almost fell over.

The out-of-state owners felt I did not charge them enough, so they had the ranch manager order me a Shilo Sharps 45-70 Model 1874. Has my name engraved and the finest Walnut finish. Too pretty to take out in the field. It has never been shot, due to me always going to the range with guns I need to get dialed in for the TV show. Seeing some of you know a bit about them, maybe I can pick your brain to find a way to get this one "broke in."

Seeing this thread got me to thinking about it and I pulled it out of the case to admire it. It is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3906.JPG

I have always wanted one but have never literally or figuratively pulled the trigger. Actually, my dream sharps would look a lot like Randy's. Beautiful rifle, maybe it should go on your Bison hunt this year.

Question for some of you "Sharp's" folks. I have a pedersoli (sp) model in 45-70. I'm starting to have real difficulty in seeing the open sights well enough to shoot accurately. Are there any sights that I could install that would be easier to see or should I opt for the Malcolm? I read somewhere that most of the original Sharp's were issued with scopes.

Seeing some of you know a bit about them, maybe I can pick your brain to find a way to get this one "broke in."

Put 70 grains of FFFg black powder in a case, seat the 405 grain bullet on top and shoot a bunch of them.

Make sure, if you shoot black powder, that you have a blow tube (a 45-70case with the primer pocket reamed out and some plastic tubing inserted) to keep the powder from fouling too much.

My chamber is very tight, so sizing of brass is important, as is C.O.L. It would be a shame to put factory rounds through that weapon. It deserves some hand-rolled smokers.

Question for some of you "Sharp's" folks. I have a pedersoli (sp) model in 45-70. I'm starting to have real difficulty in seeing the open sights well enough to shoot accurately. Are there any sights that I could install that would be easier to see or should I opt for the Malcolm? I read somewhere that most of the original Sharp's were issued with scopes.

Dan,
I like the Wm Malcom scope quite a bit. Other options, assuming you're dealing with the semi-buckhorn, is a good peep sight like a Soule: http://www.buffaloarms.com/kelley_soule_sights_pr-4081.aspx

Ben, where's the best source for the Malcolm? I'm assuming mounting that would be a smithy's job (not a veterinarian).....

I have a friend who has a couple of shiloh sharps rifles and I plan to borrow one to take a buffalo when the tag Gods finally smile upon me. They are sure beautiful weapons.

I have a friend who has a couple of shiloh sharps rifles and I plan to borrow one to take a buffalo when the tag Gods finally smile upon me. They are sure beautiful weapons.

What do you mean finally?

Randy :eek: Today I change my reason for doing taxes. Yesterday it was for the women and the glamour, today it is in hopes someone gives me a Sharps.

well they did smile once with Wyoming several years ago and I took a very nice buffalo with the bow, but I am waiting on a couple of other states to allow me the privilege one more time.

Randy it appears you have a #1 with the semi fancy grade wood. Beautiful rifle!!!!! The Shiloh Sharps can handle any 45-70 load up to and including the Ruger #1 load levels. This is a hot high pressure load getting close to 458 mag levels (recoil included) I would recommend cast lead bullets cast 1-30 for hunting or 1-20 for targets propelled by either 2f or 3f black powder Goex Old E is a good powder and available or Swiss 1.5 is also very good. A good flat point 420 grain is a good starting bullet and they really shine with a 500 grain to 535 grain bullet. The Lyman 520 govt round nose is a good hunting bullet also. One important thing with black powder you must fill the case and leave no air space or you can ring your chamber. A good starting load would be a Federal 215 large rifle mag primer, 70 grains of 2f or 3f, a .60 walters card wad over the powder and then seat your bullet lubed with a good black powder lube DGL or SPG both available from Shiloh. The powder will need to be compressed to seat your bullet and you will need a compression die to do that don't use your bullet to compress the powder as it will distort the slug. There are some good books out there explaining the loading process with black powder. Mike Venturino has some good books covering this. Shiloh has some good ones. Mike lives just down the road from you in Livingston. I'd be happy to help you make some smoke with your Sharps they are lots of fun.
Dan

Put 70 grains of FFFg black powder in a case, seat the 405 grain bullet on top and shoot a bunch of them.

Make sure, if you shoot black powder, that you have a blow tube (a 45-70case with the primer pocket reamed out and some plastic tubing inserted) to keep the powder from fouling too much.

My chamber is very tight, so sizing of brass is important, as is C.O.L. It would be a shame to put factory rounds through that weapon. It deserves some hand-rolled smokers.

Dan,
I like the Wm Malcom scope quite a bit. Other options, assuming you're dealing with the semi-buckhorn, is a good peep sight like a Soule: http://www.buffaloarms.com/kelley_soule_sights_pr-4081.aspx

Ben
I have tried the tang sights and insert front sights for hunting and found they are great until you have low light or heavy timber. The standard barrel sights with the copper penny front sight works great for hunting. I have a marbles style tang sight also and still like the semi buckhorn better for hunting. MVA has also come out with a copy of the Winchester B5 scope sight that would be good for hunting or silhouette. They come in 3,4 or 5 power. MVA is located in Belgrade and give great customer service.
Dan

Ben
I have tried the tang sights and insert front sights for hunting and found they are great until you have low light or heavy timber. The standard barrel sights with the copper penny front sight works great for hunting. I have a marbles style tang sight also and still like the semi buckhorn better for hunting. MVA has also come out with a copy of the Winchester B5 scope sight that would be good for hunting or silhouette. They come in 3,4 or 5 power. MVA is located in Belgrade and give great customer service.
Dan

I'll have to check out the MVA scopes. Thanks!

I use the buckhorns on my 86 & 94 Winchesters and love them for hunting. Fast acquisition and once you get the hang of them, dead nuts accurate out to 200 yards. You're a tougher man than I am hauling a sharps in the timber!

Thanks for destroying my evening guys...I must have watched 3 hrs of black powder cartridge videos on Youtube. I want one more than ever for the 4th or 5th time in my life. Luckily dropping $3K on a rifle isn't in the cards right now and since I already have a 45-70 lever gun I'm already setup for throwing some major lead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back