Sharing the wealth?

Another facet of this subject given the rarity and reputation of elk meat delicacy here in the flatlands is people who ask if they can 'try some'.

Yep, just want to try one roast! I think the average person thinks animals are solid meat an one elk will feed a small community for the winter. LOL

Sounds like college.....

Big Eddy!

I helped pack out Randy11's goat while he sat around camp and ate my Mountain House meal. The only meat he offered was a couple slices of charred goat tenderloin....View attachment 57925 But hey, I'm not bitter or anything. I doubt it crosses my mind more than five or six times a day. :cool:

To be fair, I did make you another mountain house. And then promptly sat on it. It didn't hatch.

I found a couple packs of mountain goat burger hiding in the corner or my freezer, they're headed your way!

That takes some nerve, taking part of your elk then complaining that you weren't given enough. I'm a sharing kind of guy, but I may not have reacted well to that.

Yes that does take some nerve. Some people also think that if you get an elk that weighs 600-700lbs you get that much meat.
I had one friend who is a non-hunter look at a pic of my sons bull and said "those things weigh like 1500lbs".

Wow.

I think I would have replied that the next time she kills an elk, you'll be more than happy to let her decide what's fair.

I like the JLS strategy myself. ;)

....mouthy wimmens is a whole 'nother topic....ought'a be a forum section for it.:D

Unless it's tried and true family or friends, JLS is doing it right.

Last edited:
I went on one elk hunt with 5 guys, we had no agreement before hand. One guy got an elk and a mule deer the rest of us tag soup. We hunted separate and no sharing of the packing chores but we had horses. He kept trying to give his deer away but no offer of elk. Fine by me but my buddy thought it should be shared so he could get a taste. We got a taste alright and shared what seemed like most of a processing bill. If my buddy wanted a taste so bad maybe he should of taken a cow when he had the opportunity to. A prior agreement might of been nice but lots of variables to think about. Right now living where I do I just wish I had the problem of helping somebody pack out an elk. I'd do it in a heart beat just don't take your phone off the hook when I go hunting.

Hunting alone out west isn't really an option for me, mainly due to the cost of going solo. Interesting all the different thoughts on this topic. I always plan on sharing, but guess I'll have to shoot bigger elk so some get a larger portion.

Normally hunt solo but when I hunt with my friend neither of us expect a share of the other persons elk no matter how long and hard the pack out is. That's how we do it and it works good for us. Might even make both of us work harder to fill the freezer for ourselves

You have several different perspectives here and the answers is going to vary based on these perspectives. For simplicity I would break it into three groups.

1. Guy that may elk hunt a few times in there life they typically don't live in an elk state. Which so far is me. Typically these types of guys go out in a group. The success rate is very low so as a group you are pretty dam happy to get one elk out of the group. With this I would say sharing is a must and you should all agree on this prior to going. Everyone is most likely going to share costs and work. I think this should be pretty equal in the sharing of the meat. You may have guys hunting in this group that don't really care about the meat anyway.

2. Guys that don't live in a elk state but hunt yearly. Similar on this but probably not as much sharing because the guys are probably successful at a higher rate therefore they know what elk meat taste like.

3. Guys that live in Elk states and are very highly successful. These guys don't always hunt in a group but if they get one down they know who to call. I can understand them not sharing much because you are always helping pack or having someone help you and there is probably more meat to go around.

Living in Iowa I always assume I am going to have 4-5 deer to eat. Every once in a while I will get a non hunter ask for some and I give them some processed meat. I typically head back to WI for the rifle season. If I shoot one there 9 out of 10 times I will give it to one of the guys in the group. I have a lot more deer than they do from where I live. I don't expect anything I just give them the deer. Ya it cost me a bit of money to drive and hunt out of state but I am going to hang with the group and experience deer camp as much as I care about shooting something. If I shoot something it is an added bonus.

Thanks for all the replies! There is obviously a story behind the question, so in summary....I always hunt with the same crew; 3 friends. We have hunted elk for 3 years. Last year I shot my first Elk; nobody else was successful or has been successful in those 3 yrs. All helped pack a load to camp...about 1 mile. The remaining few days in camp, while they were out hunting, I cooked up steaks for them for supper. On return home, I kept about half and gave them the rest. I have also had their families over no less than 5 times for elk dinners since. Anyway, one of the wives has mentioned to my wife that they feel their share wasn't enough. So, this year when I shoot my 2nd elk, I want to make sure I'm being fair and give each friend enough. It has and always will be my plan to share the wealth of my success, but I for one would never ask, nor expect another persons kill. I'll gladly help pack, cut, clean, etc and not expect a thing in return...well maybe just to share a beer or two with the successful hunter/friend.

The wives will mess it up everytime.

I wonder if the other wife mentioned it to your wife with the thought being more like, "I had no idea how much meat our family actually goes through, I thought an elk would feed everyone for the whole year, I hope the guys get two next year" of a comment?

I am going on my first archery elk hunt this fall so my opinion may change and I have no experience, but my brother and most of the group we are going with this year went last year and it sounds like they shared it pretty evenly with everyone that helped pack out. I get the feeling our group views elk hunting as a team experience, we have 4 guys and hopefully together we can shoot some elk and bring some meat home - which I really like. I would have no problem sharing my elk evenly to everyone that helps out in the process. Besides, with 350 pounds of meat, if you don't share it and some goes bad before you eat it, that's just not right to the animal...

Im curious, does anyone know what happens to all the animals from Fresh Tracks? Im sure Big Fin allows none to go to waste I'm just wondering how he handles it all because it sure seems like a lot!

350 pounds of meat isn't really that much if you use it in place of beef like I do. In the last 5 years I have gotten 3 cow elk tags, one antelope tag, and my son got a bull elk and the meat from those never makes it to the next season. We have not bought any beef in that time period.
When my brother comes and helps us or when I go to his state to help him we always split one of the backstraps. It's only fitting that we share the best part with each other.

I have not dealt with an elk in a long time but I am always amazed by how little meat one does get off an animal. Even if you have a fairly clean kill there isn't as much meat on a whitetail per say as one would think. We eat about 5 of them a year in my family of 5 and we still eat a lot of beef. I use deer in so many ways that it just doesn't last long.

Canned, jerky, summer sausage, Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, and brats. I typically save all the back straps for steaks and then the rest gets used as I wrote. 5 deer gets eaten up pretty quick. Funny is I try to time it out so I still have a little left before the next season starts. Sometimes that means we don't eat much right away and then other times it seems like I am pounding a bunch before season to get the freezer space opened up.

We hunt as a team and we split the elk as a team. I was the only successful shooter last year, but it was a team effort all the way.

I always steal meat from my brother, he just puts in for cows and does, younger the better and doesn't care about horns.

This is more necessary for those that don't live out west. Definitely want people to take at least a few steaks home that have invested a week and $1500 into what we take for granted. We don't really split meat in our group because we all help each other pack out the next guys bull the following weekend, goes around.

You shared plenty!!! I think it sounds like you did a great amount of sharing....Cooked steaks and dinner each night at camp is worth a lot. You took half and gave away half----that's great I'd say.....A bull elk usually only has around 200-220 lbs of cleaned up meat....maybe a little more,

http://www.wyomingextension.org/agpubs/pubs/B594R.pdf
(Reference page 3 and 4)

I think a lot of guys think there is way more meat on a bull than there actually is.....I'd show your crew this report just as an informational piece---if you only took 100 lbs of great elk meat and you have a family it won't last that long!
My vote is you did a great job sharing your wealth......Heck, who cares how much a guy shares, Just great that a friend acknowledges the help and says thanks with some meat. I was always taught it's more the thought that counts, kinda like buying a beer at the bar for a friend helping out....
*nobody really needs the $3 beer bought for them, just the thought that says thanks....

I don't know if there's any set answer for this one. There's a lot of variables that come into play. Once I had two friends that simultaneously shot 2 Bulls that were close together, and in a bad, tough pack out area. I think I did more actual packing work and trips than they did, as I was perhaps the most fit and strongest of our threesome. I never asked for anything, and they didn't offer any meat. I had a crappy pack frame too. A couple weeks later, an Alaska Pack Frame came in the mail, which was over $100 bucks at the time.
The other sidebar issue that comes with this question, is what to do when your partner shoots an Elk and the time you need to pack it out takes away from the valuable time the partners lose if they help pack it out. Sometimes this can take up the balance of their prime time season opportunity. Some of this can be discussed around the campfire before the scenario develops, but it's all in a state of flux, depending on many variables. You just have to try and do the right and fair thing.

Back