Seriously?

mtmuley

Saw on another site a discussion on how much weight a Cerakote application would add to a rifle. I'm way behind on this lightweight craze. mtmuley

I run a sander over my rifle occasionally, just to lighten it up a bit, and smooth out the dings.

Saw on another site a discussion on how much weight a Cerakote application would add to a rifle. I'm way behind on this lightweight craze. mtmuley

I saw that discussion also. I had to refrain from commenting!! Don't get me wrong I like cerakote and use it often but never did I think hey I'm probably adding 2-3oz of weight to my rifle!

That's why I shoot solid copper bullets. They are way lighter than the ones filled with lead.

I should probably sand the cerakote out of my bolt flutes before I get a hernia.

I'm experimenting w methods to extract the air from my barrel once loaded/locked. Should save weight and increase velocity to shoot into a vacuum. Anyone try this?

I use tape to keep debris out of my rifle's muzzle. My understanding is that the air in the barrel is compressed by the bullet moving down the barrel and blowing the tape off before the bullet gets there. Just think of the accuracy loss if the bullet hit the tape in a vacuum. Its something to think about. I may lose sleep tonight. GJ

I only carry one bullet into the field, just think of the oz. I save

Interesting...I cut my toenails today, that should save a few grams right? When did people get so scared of carrying stuff??

I have a 12.5 lb rifle. That is just ridiculous to carry very far. My main hunting rifle is around 8.5 lbs, and I feel that's about right for me.

I personally feel a little silly worrying about a few ounces here or there on my gear, when I'm simultaneously scarfing down 3 cheeseburgers on the way to the trailhead.

I do occasionally backpack hunt, but most of my hunting is from a road-based camp. Maybe that's the difference.

Back