PEAX Equipment

Pitch the stock or pitch the gun?

Well I think I made up my mind. The carbon fiber stock at stockeys is very close to match what I’m wanting without the cheek riser. I don’t have the right drill for it so I will use my current alternate which is a sleeve with a folded optics cloth raising the inside and getting the lowest rings I can find. I’m then going to replace the scope.

I’m going to ruin a perfectly working $1000 Weatherby gun and make it better.
Vet wrap and a chunk of foam works to make a cheek riser too

H Hop
ON On
D Dumb
A _SS

They are really dependable though. I shoot Vanguards cuz they have a little longer barrel than Howa's but still not as long as the Weatherbys. I can't afford those. The actions are smoother than the 700's for sure.

H Hop
ON On
D Dumb
A _SS

They are really dependable though. I shoot Vanguards cuz they have a little longer barrel than Howa's but still not as long as the Weatherbys. I can't afford those. The actions are smoother than the 700's for sure.

Probably smoother than the mark Vs then too!

This is what I really want but boy is it steep. By the time I pay for this I could save the same amount, trade in my Vanguard and get a Mark V hunter for a bit more.

Looks like the mk v hunter has a plastic version of the peak 44 stock. Other than cerakote and muzzle threads, what is better on the mk v hunter? Build quality? Bedding?

I’m also not real well versed on howa actions but I’m not particularly a fan of the mk v actions. The mk v action is the worst part of some of the newer upscale weatherbys that come in nice configurations IMO.

Looks like the mk v hunter has a plastic version of the peak 44 stock. Other than cerakote and muzzle threads, what is better on the mk v hunter? Build quality? Bedding?

I’m also not real well versed on howa actions but I’m not particularly a fan of the mk v actions. The mk v action is the worst part of some of the newer upscale weatherbys that come in nice configurations IMO.
The cartridge. Not all MkVs are made in the generally accepted cartridges except the Hunter and one other one, I think. The actions are a big heavy and clunky on the MkV but I can only speak on the 9-lug. I’d be interested to hear from someone who has a 6 lug. I will say the vanguard has a smoother and better action than the MkV

Kind of held off on this project. Mostly due to ignorance. I started reading threads about guys not being able to hold the rifle accurate because it’s TOO lightweight. I walked around with an 8.5 lb shotgun strapped to my pack and really didn’t have any issues. I do know I don’t like Monte Carlo stocks so I kind of want to replace the stock anyway. But now I wonder if I like the color of the ceracote. The other issue is stocky doesn’t have much in stock right now. Ugh

Maybe I just don’t know what I want anymore.

It's just my own personal opinion, but I think that stock is just flat "buttt ugly!"
My SIL has a Vanguard. Very accurate, nice rifle. I like it. You couldn't give me a Weatherby. 700 heathen here. mtmuley
So I must have the best of both worlds. I've had my SS Rem 700 in 7 mm RM for about 29 years and that rifle has been very good to me. I glass and pillar bedded it's action, floated the barrel, lengthened the stock to fit me and gave it a spider web finish that I liked.

But after I bought a couple of Weatherby Vanguards a few years ago, I really liked their Griptonite stocks, so last year I put my Rem 700 7mm RM in a Wby Griptonite stock and I'm loving it.

Ok rookie question so that I can finally make a decision. I like my current barrel except the color of the cerakote. Does that have to come off to get a completely different color?

I'm confused....

Do you want a Weatherby?
Or do you want a Vangard?
:unsure:

If your spending $1,000 on a Howa marketed for Weatherby. Save up the extra $300 and get a Mark V Hunter.
Or $600 for a Weathermark.
Note, i've seen the Hunter going for $1,200 new.

The Kydex cheek risers remind me of the old Savage long range rifles.
I tried one out with that type of riser and hated it!
Way too bulky.
It pushes your face to the side, away from the stock.

Boyds stocks are inexpensive, but they aren't light.
I have two weathermarks and I love them both! They are worth checking out!

There was a similar thread for a Vanguard replacement but it didn’t seem to fit what I’m looking for. Unless I’m ignorant.

I have a 30-06 Vanguard with the heavy plastic. Good gun but I don’t like how heavy it is. The scope is a big part of it and that’ll get replaced this year.

I’m at a crossroads of either getting a different stock or a different gun. I like the 30-06 and it groups well, so I thought of just replacing the stock with a lightweight stock with an adjustable comb. Couldn’t find one so I may need to add the comb on my own.

Or I could get a new rifle. Not sure I really want to do that. I like Weatherby and the only other Vanguard I can get that’s lightweight is another $1000.

Aaaand go!
I have a vanguard in 7mm and got a HS precision and it seemed to help at times. I say at times because it would shoot groups awesome one minute then the next group would be all over. Got a new scope and still did the same thing. Sold it and I have a seekins precision on layaway now. Wanted to keep the rifle but was getting aggravated with it.

I have a vanguard in 7mm and got a HS precision and it seemed to help at times. I say at times because it would shoot groups awesome one minute then the next group would be all over. Got a new scope and still did the same thing. Sold it and I have a seekins precision on layaway now. Wanted to keep the rifle but was getting aggravated with it.
I worry that this will happen.

Stocky stocks has 3 unanswered phone calls from me. Not really enjoying the experience thus far. Just need to know what barrel channel I need to order. Pretty sure factory sporter is correct but don’t know for sure.

McMillan is getting a call tomorrow.

I worry that this will happen.
I hope it does not for you. I wanted to love the rifle. I shot 3-4 deer with it but they were all under 150 if it was further than that, no bueno. I could use my Remington 700 in .308 and drop deer out to 350-400 with no problem or the trusty .264.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back