Caribou Gear Tarp

Pitch the stock or pitch the gun?

I like Stocky's Stocks and have bought a few stocks from them, but for B&C stocks it works out better to buy directly from them. Big selection, and better prices.

I'm big on bedding the stocks and actually don't think there a stock made that can't be bedded well. Problem with stocks is some seem awfully flimsey and even though you cam make most shoot, hard to stop flimsy one's from moving around. personally I think the best way to fix a flimsy stock is to invest in a wood stock! I have a Rem plastic stock here that came on a 700 ADL years ago. Absolutely the worst bedded stock I
ve ever seen. had to beat the barrel on the back of the couch to get the barreled action out of the thing, didn't shoot even remotely well! Re-bedded the thing in the plastic stock so I could just pick the loose barreled action out of it and it shot like a house on fire! Still a plastic stock and I simply don't like them but showed me that proper bedding can mean a lot to a rifle that won't shoot, even with a junk stock. Kinda of steping on my own opinion on stocks but I believe most stocks that are keeping a rifle from shooting can be fixed, plastic sure is ugly though and ust don't feel right. One thing I like about some plastic is the metal bedding block. Need that in a wood stock but then good hard wood should work fine. I do not believe even the bedding block will match up perfect on each rifle its designed for, if I had one I believe I would use a layer of liquid steel on the block. Only talking about thousands ere and there but they do add up! I also believe there has never been a .000" group shot for no other reason than perfection is about imposible to reach!

The worst shootingrifle I ever had was a Rem mod 7 when they came out. Wood stock and went through the bedding several times an nothing worked on it. I believe something was messed up in the action that I wasn't smart enough to fix. At this point I suspect the stock was about as good as it could be. One bad thing about wood stocks, or so I've read, is softing of the wood at the action screws. Happens, so I understands fron cleaning fluid being allowed to leach into the wood. But I also think it would take years to show up as a problem.

As for a 30-06 being to heavy, 30-06 is still gonna recoil like a 30-06 and people seem to always want a lighter stock whick will make the recoil feel even heavier. if your gonn chase light weight, your gonna find recoild you won't care fore sooner or later. Woork out and shoot more. learn to handle what you have and the problem hides itself! I had an L61R Sako in 7mm mag and 338 mag, both fairly heavy as rifles go and brutal to shoot. Carrying never bother me near as bad as recoil but I did over come the recoil part with lots of shooting. used to shoot ground squirrels up im Montana with them just to stay in practice. Can be awful to try shooting well with a rifle which recoil bothers you. Worst rifle I had like that though was a 30-06. Don't remember if it was a Remington or Winchester but never could get used to it! That I suspect had to do with stock design!

back to the beginning, a well bedded stock, no matter plastic or wood will shoot well but a poor barreled action just might not! Also good as a well bedded plastic or wood stock may shoot, if it's not built well it really ups the felt recoil and the problem then likely becomes the shooter. I bet that 30-06 I had shot a lot better than I was able to shoot it!
I’m not so much worried about the recoil on a 30-06. I’m more interested in a lighter weight stock that isn’t Monte Carlo. I shoot a 6 lb 300 WBY no issues, just want to shake things up with the -06. Making it a “project gun” sounds fun.

I’m not so much worried about the recoil on a 30-06. I’m more interested in a lighter weight stock that isn’t Monte Carlo. I shoot a 6 lb 300 WBY no issues, just want to shake things up with the -06. Making it a “project gun” sounds fun.
If you handload there are bullets and powder that really wake up the .06. mtmuley

Doesn't get much lighter than this, adjustable cheek rest it is not though. Got one of these for my Howa Mini, few scuff marks on the stock is all.

Don't know what your budget is. Peak44 makes the factory ultralight sticks for Weatherby.

This is what I really want but boy is it steep. By the time I pay for this I could save the same amount, trade in my Vanguard and get a Mark V hunter for a bit more.

I personally would replace the stock and keep the rifle. However, you stated you want an adjustable comb and lightweight- these two attributes are often not found together. If you buy a quality stock and mount a hunting scope nice and low, you shouldn't need an adjustable comb. If you do, I'd look for something aftermarket. Take a look at Peak 44. I believe it's the stock that is used on some of the Mark V's.

I didn't read all the posts. If I wanted a light weight rifle I would start with one. If I was looking to reduce the weight about one pound or less I might consider working with my current rifle.
I would establish my weight goal and then try and figure the cost to achieve it and what I really am going end up with. Then decide.

I got one of these from Stocky's bargain bin for my 257 Wby. I couldn't be happier. Super light but still rigid.

Doesn't get much lighter than this, adjustable cheek rest it is not though. Got one of these for my Howa Mini, few scuff marks on the stock is all.
The weatherby vanguard/howa1500 action is a boat anchor by itself. Your best bet is grabbing one of these Stockys carbon stocks to shave some weight.

The weatherby vanguard/howa1500 action is a boat anchor by itself. Your best bet is grabbing one of these Stockys carbon stocks to shave some weight.
Thanks a lot, @brockel. Ordered one for my Vanguard 240 WBY and also saw that they were having a sale for the Rem 700 Carbon stocks, have two stocks on the way.

Well I think I made up my mind. The carbon fiber stock at stockeys is very close to match what I’m wanting without the cheek riser. I don’t have the right drill for it so I will use my current alternate which is a sleeve with a folded optics cloth raising the inside and getting the lowest rings I can find. I’m then going to replace the scope.

I’m going to ruin a perfectly working $1000 Weatherby gun and make it better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back