Pitch the stock or pitch the gun?

Stocky's returned my calls. And I've made a decision. Getting a pistol grip carbon fiber stock and will be tearing down my current 30-06 and keeping the original cerakote on it. It'll be raw so good enough for any light sanding and special paint scheme I want to put on it, then a clearcoat. Scope on order, expected to arrive this week. Just need rings/pic rail. Gun will be worked on in June.

Alright I'm going off the deep end here. So with this build I'm doing, I'm also going to replace the trigger guard and integral magazine with a removable one. I got to thinking, maybe I should do the trigger as well.

What characteristics of a trigger do you look for? The stock one is fine and is adjustable to 2.5 lbs. Based on that, i don't need to, but what I'm curious what value do I get with upgrading to a Timney trigger?

Here’s the final pictures before the rebirth. Weight is the stock gun without muzzle break or scope.

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpeg
    IMG_0458.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Stock finally came in today. They said it would be a rough finish. When I got it, it had some dust on it. I wiped it with a paper towel and it looked okay. Some blemishes here and there. Not sure where they get off saying it wasn’t finished. I pulled my MkV with a Peak 44 stock and the finish on it was very similar. The sponge paint on that stock wasn’t even gone over with a clear coat. I ended up sponge dabbing it for a subtle camo pattern. I was going to clear coat it but not sure I see the point unless it was to keep my sponge paint on. I think I’ll roll with it for now.

Should have it fully assembled and weighed tomorrow. Have to do some measurement for a pic rail and scope rings, but it’ll be ready to go soon.

Here’s the final product.

Weatherby Vanguard First Lite 30-06
Stocky’s VG2 carbon fiber stock, custom sponge paint
Vortex Viper 4x16x50 dead hood BDC w/ Warne pic rail and rings, Vortex cant bubble level
Stock trigger adjusted to 3 lbs
Factory spotter barrel with factory muzzle break
Harris 9x13 bipod
Quake sling
Cheek rest cover from Amazon
Grand total weight of 9 lbs 14 oz. Bit heavier than I wanted but it’s stable and stout. Bore sighted and ready for the range.

Thanks for everyone’s help, it was a fun process. Hopefully it groups well!

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Well just got back from the range. It was a bit warmer today so I was patient between shots. Ultimately got it zeroed at 100 yards. Barnes cartridges seem to foul the barrel more than other ammo I’ve bought so that was part of my issue today. However, with a cooled barrel, I was able to get sun MOA most of the time. Hardly any recoil on a bag. Overall very happy with the gun. My new go-to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back