Sell me on a 45-70

If you plan on using it for the illinois firearm season you will need to convert it to a single shot. Seems like a drop magazine sled might be an easy way to go. Im not sure if you could plug the magazine tube on a lever gun like you can a shotgun.

Marlin 1895 guide gun is the model I've always liked the most from an aesthetic stand point.
I had one of these (45-70) when I lived in Alaska. I sold it after I moved back to the lower 48 as I didn’t have any need for it. They do look cool but it wasn’t very accurate. Or I should say that I wasn’t very accurate with it. Lever guns are sexy but the only lever that I have now is a BLR .308. It’s smooth, accurate, fits me well, shoulders fast and it’s a .308! I did love the thump of the 45-70 but the cartridge does have its drawbacks.

If you want a JM guide gun, I think the 1895SDT LTD guns were the coolest variant. They were a limited run for davidsons with 16.25” barrels and straight stocks. I bought the 18.5” version during that run and slightly regret it. But I’m hearing good things about the ruger guns and wouldn’t have many regrets about buying a ruger in a similar style for less money as a shooter. Both of my davidsons specials (I have a 336 also) have the Williams peep sights and “happy triggers” added. They’re fun.

Last edited:
The 70s and 80s 1895s are nice, I think '83 was the 1st year they added the safety. The cowboy and LTD models are also really nice, and have a rifle length barrel. You can get safety deletes that look like screws from Beartooth Mercantile.

There's always the original square bolt 1895s that @BrentD posted.

The 1886s are very handsome, but something about their stock design makes them feel like they recoil harder. Im not a huge fan of the top eject guns either.

The new production 1895s are very nice. The blued model comes with laminate stocks but that's an easy swap.

I have a Marlin 30-30 lever that my dad hunted with as a kid. I've shot 45-70 levers too. Don't think- just buy. It's impossible to be sad while shooting a lever gun.

If you plan on using it for the illinois firearm season you will need to convert it to a single shot. Seems like a drop magazine sled might be an easy way to go. Im not sure if you could plug the magazine tube on a lever gun like you can a shotgun.
Cut off an old wooden arrow to the right length.

Do not hesitate on a jm era marlin. Awesome rifles. Hearing the good things about new production (Ruger) but you want to pass on the Remington era guns.

I’d also steer you to the longer barrel length too, unless you really want that carbine. I have a few different marlins and just think the short barreled variants feel a bit club-like. Personal preference.

Although I have 45/70 as well, I am deciding on committing to a long term relationship with my 450 marlins, but I reload and need to stock a lifetime of components to be safe. The 45/70 by comparison is easy to find ammo for but for “max” performance you will still want to reload. I just sold my 444 too cause its just not getting used. I also have 30/30s and a 35 rem. All marlins. Be careful… its a slippery slope with levers! LOL

Looking into a .45-70, I went to the Henry website and while not a lever gun, they offer a single shot in .45-70 with a 22" barrel, and the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope, for around $500. For me, I would have to get the scope rail and hammer extension and mount a scope. It would make a nifty little deer and black bear rifle. Dang, just another thing that I don't need but would like to have. Oh well, many times for me it's not about need anyway...;)

Last edited:
I have a CVA scout in 45-70... its a tack driver and puts stuff down with some solid authority.
I will second what others have said on the Marlins. My 35 Rem and my 375 Win both are wonderful shooters and absolutely hammer critters. The JM Marlins are in my opinion far superior in many ways to about everything else I have shot or own. Including a couple 94s in 30-30 that are great guns but just not as solid feeling as the Marlins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back