Caribou Gear

Secondary Draw Thoughts

Nick_CO

Thanks for correction Oak...

I'm curious how others feel about this new opportunity for obtaining Colorado leftover tags. I like the idea better than the usual "Computer crashing/lines out the door of Bass Pro" that is typical on opening day of leftover tag sales. I am also less than excited by most of the tags available in this secondary draw, which could just be a result of increased apps this year.

CPW is however doing a pretty good job making me feel like I'm being "nickel and dimed" to death. Must have qualifying license to apply, must pay application fee per species, must then pay application fee per species in secondary draw even though you were unsuccessful in the first draw where you already paid a non refundable application fee per species ...

Last edited:
The secondary draw deadline is in July.
+1
AA.jpg

The Secondary Draw deadline has now passed and I'm curious how others feel about this new opportunity for obtaining Colorado leftover tags. I like the idea better than the usual "Computer crashing/lines out the door of Bass Pro" that is typical on opening day of leftover tag sales. I was also less than excited by most of the tags available in this secondary draw, which could just be a result of increased apps this year. Personally I would rather wait until later in the summer when more of the returned tags are entered into the pool before any Secondary Draw takes place.

CPW is however doing a pretty good job making me feel like I'm being "nickel and dimed" to death. Must have qualifying license to apply, must pay application fee per species, must then pay application fee per species in secondary draw even though you were unsuccessful in the first draw where you already paid a non refundable application fee per species ...
Consider it a charitable donation that goes to helping CPW manage the resource, and as oak said it closes in July, the 7th and 8pm to be exact.

The secondary draw deadline is in July.
Do you know if returned tags are entered into the draw similar to how they typically have been in the past leftover license system? So theoretically if someone waits until the last minute to apply for the secondary draw, will there be more tags to apply for?

Do you know if returned tags are entered into the draw similar to how they typically have been in the past leftover license system? So theoretically if someone waits until the last minute to apply for the secondary draw, will there be more tags to apply for?
Leftover list will happen after the second draw like it used to, primarily returned tags and anything not taken in the second draw.

This is better than finger blasting my mouse trying to get a tag. Far more reasonable and organized IMO. The list didn't look particularly exciting to me this year as I noticed a few tags that were abundant in years past nowhere to be seen this year.
I agree, Colorado was a popular state this year, lots of so so tags have become desirable lately.

This is better than finger blasting my mouse trying to get a tag. Far more reasonable and organized IMO. The list didn't look particularly exciting to me this year as I noticed a few tags that were abundant in years past nowhere to be seen this year.
Oh - you'll get your chance to wear out your mouse and keyboard on August 4 when the reissue list comes out. Hopefully a few more folks than normal get their true leftovers in the Secondary draw, but given the timing this year, August 4 will still be just as much of a goat rodeo as it has been in the last few years.

While I am frustrated at the multiple $7 dollar donations (but honestly I told my wife she doesn't get her coffee today). What I am excited about is my daughter, who just completed her hunter safety, will be getting a tag in the second draw each year until she is no longer considered a youth, hopefully anyway. We have a few big hunts that we apply for as a group and got goosed this year on primary and stacked more preference points.

Good luck to all in the secondary

To add, I also think the idea of a second round of application fees is a bit greedy. If I didn't know the money was staying with CPW it would peeve me more. I also think this is more reasonable than the mass "camping" done at license outlets (especially the CPW office here in the Springs).

If you learn how to use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices through the primary draw, this 2nd draw becomes unnecessary

If you learn how to use your 2nd, 3rd and 4th choices through the primary draw, this 2nd draw becomes unnecessary
Not necessarily. The secondary draw allows me to pick up a second limited license for a species I already drew in the first draw, which likely won’t be available on the leftover list in August.

Not necessarily. The secondary draw allows me to pick up a second limited license for a species I already drew in the first draw, which likely won’t be available on the leftover list in August.

excatly, get your buck tag, then have a chance at a doe tag in the same or neighboring unit that may be gone before you get past the swirly wheel mouse pointer come leftover day in august

same thing with bull and cow tags

When does everyone think the secondary draw results will be announced?

Yeah I didnt apply but did check the list. Several tags I was interested in were available on last year's leftover list but gone this year. Maybe some of those will appear on the reissue list in August??

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back