Savage 6.5 creed moor for secondary rifle

huntin' lunatic

We are headed to New Mexico in October for elk. Got a great deal on this rifle and it was topped with a Weaver 3x9-40 Kaspa scope. It is on their lower scale and I've never owned a Weaver. Anyone use Weaver? I love the feel, weight and smoothness of how she just rolls up to my shoulder. I took off a Leupold VX-1 3x9-40 that I mounted on my 7 mag back in 1999. I had to have one of those Vortex Viper's. My question is, should I swap out the Weaver with my old Leupold or get new optics? Going to start running some Hornady 143 gr ELD-X and 140 gr Hornady ELD Match ammo to see what she likes.
Planning on using my 7 mag and bringing the Creed moor or my .06 for backup. Sure like the weight of the creedmoor compared to my old Remington. To me, this is part of the fun of going on an elk hunt, the planning and preparation.

With that chambering and the bullets you are looking to use I vote for a scope with an adjustable elevation turret. Cheapest route would be to have your Leupold retrofitted with a CDS or M1 turret. If you go with a new scope Judi suggest one where the turret and reticle are in the same units.

Move the Leupold, or buy a new scope. The Kaspa line isn't horrible, but it is a low end scope and doesn't have the build quality of the Leupold. Strangely, it probably has better glass in it, though. The VX1 line sacrifices a lot in the glass to get the price down.

If you want a new scope, the Redfield 4-12X40 is a nice lower cost choice with the accurange reticle. A gimmick reticle, yes, but it actually works. Otherwise, give us a price range for the scope and I am sure we can help spend your money.

Jeremy

The ELD match bullets aren't designed for hunting, so I would not recommend using those. My brother has the same rifle and it loves the 143gr ELD-X and has had good success with it on elk last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back