175 ELD-X or 175 Nosler ABLR

IDHUNTNFISH

So I just bought a new Christensen Arm Ridgeline FFT 7PRC and put a Leupold VX6 3-18 x 44 on it. Now I'm trying to decide what bullets to load for it. I'm down to the Hornady ELD-X 175 or the Nosler 175 ABLR. I know it comes down to what bullet the gun likes best, but I'm willing to give up a little bit of accuracy for over all performance. I've shot Nosler Accubonds 160 gr out of my 7mm Rem Mag and they have never let me down. I've heard the ELD-X are very accurate but stay off the shoulder with in 200 years, what if that's the only shot you have? Thanks for any input. Oh and I know all the mixed reviews with Christensen now. I rolled the dice. 😅

I hear a lot about how finicky the ABLR is to get to shoot. I can't confirm but personally I avoid them. Like you mention keeping off the shoulder with high impact velocity is best (generally regardless of bullet).

If you suspect you may have one of the Christensens that has QC issues, start with a box of factory ammo before investing time in reloading.

I wouldn’t waste my time with ablr unless you’re hoping to get lucky or fry a barrel trying. Eldx are good but shoot for lungs if your up close. If I we’re building a 7prc I would go with Berger 175 elite hunters. If you’re not planning on stretching it crazy far the 160’s will be just fine.

I hear a lot about how finicky the ABLR is to get to shoot. I can't confirm but personally I avoid them. Like you mention keeping off the shoulder with high impact velocity is best (generally regardless of bullet).

If you suspect you may have one of the Christensens that has QC issues, start with a box of factory ammo before investing time in reloading.
Thanks for the fed back. I've heard the ABLR can be finicky too.

I bought 4 boxes of factory 175 ELDX to do the muzzle break in.

I wouldn’t waste my time with ablr unless you’re hoping to get lucky or fry a barrel trying. Eldx are good but shoot for lungs if your up close. If I we’re building a 7prc I would go with Berger 175 elite hunters. If you’re not planning on stretching it crazy far the 160’s will be just fine.
It might be smart for me to just stick with the 160's :cool:

I've played with ABLRs a bit in my .280 AI. I can attest - finicky. I don't have a lot of experience with the ELD-X, but was pretty underwhelmed when I tried them in my daughter's 7mm-08. Like others have suggested, those 160gn Accubonds are darn good bullets. I can understand wanting to try something different, but there's also something to be said for the tried and true.

Interesting thread...

I haven't had any issues of finding a load for either bullet out of any of my 7mm rifles.
Jump 0.020-0.030" off the lands & go hunt!

The ABLR seem to fly a little better than their BC suggests.

I haven't shot game with the ELDX, but i have with the ABLR.
I was actually surprised at the lack of damage to my buck last year with the ABLR.
35 yards from my 7mm Rem Mag.
Through and through.
Deer went 10ft, back pedaling on its hind legs.

The doe at 300 yards had more damage. Go figure.

It's not on your list but I'd give the 160 grain CX a try if you can find some. I loaded some 150's for my 280AI this year. On an antelope, 2 WT and raghorn bull, I was happy with the performance.

Do not use ABLR for hunting. Use regular Accubonds. ABLR are super accurate but do not hold up at shorter or longer distances from high velocity/energy guns.

I just shot my buddies 7PRC at long distance. 990 and 908 yards. Awesome round for LR shooting. But for the love of Jesus please nobody shoot critters at that distance for many reasons.

My .28 Nosler shoots 160 Accubonds and has given me 6 dead elk. If you like shoulder shots then try Barns LRX. IMO it’s the best out there on critters if you like to hit bone. I have done it many times.

I've heard the ELD-X are very accurate but stay off the shoulder with in 200 years, what if that's the only shot you have?

If you are going to be more upset about ruining shoulder meat than you would be about missing out on an animal, dont shoot. Otherwise send it and be happy with the 3 good quarters you get.

Why shoot 160gr bullets in a chamber that was specifically designed for 175-180 gr bullets??? If your going to shoot 160s get a 7mm mag or other traditional chambered .284 rifle. The 7prc was designed to shoot the long high BC bullets
...and just dont shoot an elk in the shoulder on purpose. 30yrs and Ive never deliberately shoulder shot an elk.

Last edited:
I've played with ABLRs a bit in my .280 AI. I can attest - finicky. I don't have a lot of experience with the ELD-X, but was pretty underwhelmed when I tried them in my daughter's 7mm-08. Like others have suggested, those 160gn Accubonds are darn good bullets. I can understand wanting to try something different, but there's also something to be said for the tried and true.
Thanks for your input. I shoot 160 Accubonds out of my 7 Mag.

Interesting thread...

I haven't had any issues of finding a load for either bullet out of any of my 7mm rifles.
Jump 0.020-0.030" off the lands & go hunt!

The ABLR seem to fly a little better than their BC suggests.

I haven't shot game with the ELDX, but i have with the ABLR.
I was actually surprised at the lack of damage to my buck last year with the ABLR.
35 yards from my 7mm Rem Mag.
Through and through.
Deer went 10ft, back pedaling on its hind legs.

The doe at 300 yards had more damage. Go figure.
Thank you for your feedback.

It's not on your list but I'd give the 160 grain CX a try if you can find some. I loaded some 150's for my 280AI this year. On an antelope, 2 WT and raghorn bull, I was happy with the performance.
I've heard great things about these bullets too, but I think I need to shoot a heavier bullet to maximize the PRC.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back