.44 mag hunting loads

This article is a bit dated as the author is advising wheel weight lead, 2% tin. However, the gas checked Lyman Devastator was used in a Blackhawk field trial, success on a mule deer. So, if you’re thinking to cast and roll your own, Devastator HP may be what works.

Dangerous rabbit hole there. I love Frixell's stuff.

I found a coffee can full of Lyman 429421HP boolits in an old shed about five years ago.

I went to the MP mold because it is the essentially the same boolit with the crimp groove moved back to optimize the longer Ruger cylinder.544F7E3F-B7B2-476F-A496-5626A8DD9422.jpeg

I’ve never messed around with casting bullets at all, but those cast hollow points are seriously cool. I bet they make a hell of a wound channel out of a .44 as well.
It’s seriously cheap to get a mold and basic necessities (my first run was just a Lee mold, camp stove, pot and spoon from Goodwill, big piece of cardboard). I’ve used Hornady balls and also reclaimed lead from the range, all shoot fine. @44hunter45 has the wisdom for reference; he’s a reloading encyclopedia.

It’s seriously cheap to get a mold and basic necessities (my first run was just a Lee mold, camp stove, pot and spoon from Goodwill, big piece of cardboard). I’ve used Hornady balls and also reclaimed lead from the range, all shoot fine. @44hunter45 has the wisdom for reference; he’s a reloading encyclopedia.
Ha!

I honored you think so. Mostly I’m not afraid to experiment and learned from my mistakes.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back