SAR insurance, who has it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

A very good friend of mine got airlifted out of the Bob Marshall a year ago, and in turn got a very big bill.

Who all has SAR insurance? What plan? I was looking at the plans associated with Garmin InReach services.

@Straight Arrow I recall you have this I think?

I have helo insurance, just in case. Covered in the county. It is a wilderness...

I think my Inreach plan has 100k coverage for airlift. Yearly bill that is separate from my messaging subscription and for a fair amount in my opinion.
Which plan did you get? I’m trying to decipher the difference between each.

@Straight Arrow I recall you have this I think?
No, I won the SAR airlift lottery in August 2020, when I was injured six miles, two thousand feet above the river in the Gates of the Mountain Wilderness. Two Bear Air out of Kalispell plucked us off the mountain and flew me to the ambulance at the interstate highway ... all free gratis! Eastern Washington, Idaho, and western Montana are blessed to have the services of Two Bear Air, all paid by a very generous and apparently caring citizen, Mike Goguen of Whitefish. God Bless him!

No, I won the SAR airlift lottery in August 2020, when I was injured six miles, two thousand feet above the river in the Gates of the Mountain Wilderness. Two Bear Air out of Kalispell plucked us off the mountain and flew me to the ambulance at the interstate highway ... all free gratis! Eastern Washington, Idaho, and western Montana are blessed to have the services of Two Bear Air, all paid by a very generous and apparently caring citizen, Mike Goguen of Whitefish. God Bless him!
My buddy said Two Bear was also en route, but the other helo was closer so they took him.

I've always been hesitant after reading the details up here in Alaska.
For example, with LifeMed Alaska, you must first have air and ground medical transport benefits with an insurance provider.
"medical transportation from LifeMed Alaska, LifeMed Alaska will bill my insurance or other responsible third party payer. Membership is secondary to insurance or coverage provided by another third party payer. LifeMed Alaska will accept the amount paid by my insurance or third party payer for any medically necessary transport. The Membership fee constitutes prepayment for the patient responsibility amount indicated by the insurance company’s explanation of benefit for all emergent and medically necessary air medical transport services."

Id have to look it up but on my Garmin account it gives you a few different coverage options for insurance. I'll send you some info. Hope your friend is doing ok.

Should we ask Zach Griffith who he used when he scratched his arm?
I can’t believe I forgot about that. I pulled a hangnail off my pinky toe last week that bled more.

Had MediVac when I rode Motorcycles. I suppose it would’ve been good for hunts also. Was really pretty cheap.

I think my Inreach plan has 100k coverage for airlift. Yearly bill that is separate from my messaging subscription and for a fair amount in my opinion.
I have this too, but know little about it. Good reminder to login and refresh my memory.

I just bought a Global Rescue membership for predetermined dates in the future for an adventurous international trip. I just bought the medical extraction part but they offer security type of services too.

Currently no coverage...living and hunting within 2 Bear Air coverage so I have a false sense of financial protection. I have no idea what local SAR costs (if anything)

Check out global rescue. They are always at the top of the list for providing SAR coverage. If you travel much they also provide coverage for just about any type of emergency. From a lost passport to rescue from civil disturbances etc etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back