Caribou Gear Tarp

Santa i want a icemule!

ccc23454

Gear question for you guys, do i want a icemule cooler or is there a different brand you prefer for a rolltop durable packable cooler?

Gear question for you guys, do i want a icemule cooler or is there a different brand you prefer for a rolltop durable packable cooler?
get one and report back. They appear solidly built and much more affordable than the brand that is named after a folklore character that is seen semi-frequently in the woods but only grainy photos have been taken of.

I picked up a Lifetime 48 cooler online. CHEAP.
Thing is a tank and keeps my food cold on the way home from store.
Looks and feels like a top end brand with the same features.

I was considering a big fancy cooler for a WY antelope trip in mid-september. Decided to try something different. I flew out there, and bought a 60qt coleman cooler from walmart. Got my pronghorn, this cooler held it great. Froze the quarters and straps solid. Then the last day packed the meat in with enough ice to keep it from rattling around, and duct taped it shut. Drove from Lander WY to denver, flew to Richmond, VA (did have to pay oversize/overweight fees for southwest). Drove home and opened up cooler, everything was still frozen solid, wheels and handle still work great on cooler.
If you want a pricy cooler go for it. But for the price, hard to beat an igloo or coleman.

To the top one last try,
None of you alaska guys maybe @Salmonchaser or maybe @seeth07 ever use them?
We have two of these:

We use them as our carry on when flying and they are fantastic for flying home with. Just gets heavy carrying them around the airport when they weigh over 60# packed full of elk meat!

If your application is really for packing, I'm not sure these are the best. They do fold/roll down but not into anything like the product you posted. They are however very good coolers that held frozen elk meat for us completely frozen for about 36 hours with zero blood ending up at the bottom of the bags when we got home.

Yes I’ve seen various forms of those, mostly used for transporting salmon fillets or Moose meat. Not aware of anyone having any trouble with the airlines. I would not advertise that youre packing frozen or semi frozen meat.
I have seen the airlines reject ice chests full of ziplock bags stuffed with unfrozen salmon.
I have a couple of the Rtic chests a 54 and a 48? The smaller one held a boned antelope just fine.
Just an fyi a cheap igloo 48 quart ice chest packed tight with fillets weighs in at 50 pounds plus or minus a couple pounds, all day long. Those cheap chests will get your frozen fish to Florida or Boston based on routine connections with out any problem.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back