Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sand hill cranes

TOM IN TENNESSEE

I will be damned!!! The TN Wildlife Commission actually approved a season after 5 or 6 years of recommendation by Biologists staff!
They did manage to pizz antis off and hunters off in just one vote!
To appease anti's, they cut the quota and season length in half of what Professional staff recommended. And hunting hours are sunRise to one hour before sunset so you won't confuse them with Whoopers. Last count, there was around 80,000 Sand Hills and NINE Whoopers.... I would note that the Commission is political appointees.
My buddies and I have a good Red Head hole. Unfortunately, Cans like it too. In years when the limit on Cans was ZERO, we passed many an early morning shot....guess us waterfowlers can't be trusted to have good sense and judgment...

At least we finally have a season! Draw, three bird limit and take a test to prove you can tell difference in Whooper and Sand Hill....Crane Federation is out now painting red stripes on Whoopers heads I guess....

Last edited:
I wish they'd approve a season here. THOUSANDS stop through, but at this point they are only eye candy. I had a permit for one in Utah while there, but struck out...

I killed a crane last fall. Don't fall for the "best tasting" crap. The damn thing was terrible. And I know how to cook meat. I will never kill one again it was so bad. I rank it right up there with Swan. A feathered turd.

I killed a crane last fall. Don't fall for the "best tasting" crap. The damn thing was terrible. And I know how to cook meat. I will never kill one again it was so bad. I rank it right up there with Swan. A feathered turd.

No idea on Swan, but that's what I've always heard on Cranes. Around here you get the license for free if you buy your upland bird stamp. Thousands of them. I've never bothered to even attempt to shoot one.

I have always wanted to hunt them, I hear they are the prime rib of waterfowl to some people.

jlmatthew & I used to see them more often....

_MG_8943-L.jpg

But the dry conditions have left them passing us by. You can see them down near John Martin Res, but usually a mile high and headed to Bosque.

Oh, and yes, they are delicious!

The ones I've killed in ND have been fine eating. I would not be surprised if the flavor changes as the birds migrate and maybe the diet changes some.

I have always wanted to hunt them, I hear they are the prime rib of waterfowl to some people.

You might want to be out east this year, I was looking for deer recently and there are a lot of flooded wheat/cornfields. Lets just hope they stay that way a little longer ;)

I wish they'd approve a season here. THOUSANDS stop through, but at this point they are only eye candy. I had a permit for one in Utah while there, but struck out...

go east out of momence on 114 and head towards the kankakee conservation area. ground is covered by these things.

Cush & Mud too, cant have any hurt feelings now

We should all pitch in and buy an old VW Van like the Hippies rode around in. We can Pimp it out and let the whole state know we're coming to kill stuff! Maybe Randy will give us a 5 minute segment on Fresh Tracks to show it off! :p

Cush & Mud too, cant have any hurt feelings now

We should all pitch in and buy an old VW Van like the Hippies rode around in. We can Pimp it out and let the whole state know we're coming to kill stuff! Maybe Randy will give us a 5 minute segment on Fresh Tracks to show it off! :p

Back