Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sand Hill Cranes in TN

TOM IN TENNESSEE

After 12-15 years of wishing, lobbying , writing letters to TWRA and newspapers and attending TN Wildlife Commission meetings, we finally got us a Sand Hill Crane season.
Rules ended being present at a live drawing for 400 permits with each permit valid for up to three birds for the season. To help control the anti's, rules required a TN hunting license, TN duck stamp and Federal stamp before being allowed to participate. Season opened on Nov 28 and last til end of Dec. NR's could apply but had to meet the requirements to participate in draw.
This morning was first time I could get out. Met a buddy and we got to our spot around 8:30, put out a couple of dozen Canada Goose decoys for "confidence" and besides, goose season is open too. Sat on buckets on edge of field in weeds and privet.
Dammitman! After 15 years of anticipating a Crane hunt, we were picking up decoys at 9:20.....waited 15 years for a 35 minute hunt! Whacked our three apiece with 4 mature and two juveniles. Sometimes life is GOOD!!!
I will see if a picture can be posted.

Sweet! Wish they'd open one here in Indiana. Literally thousands stop over in a few locations, but all's we get to do is look.

Nice. I'm with 1pt, I see thousands of them. . .but no season. I did see something the other day in Vermillion Co that I have never seen. . .about 60 swans in a cornfield. We will get 1 or 2 at the lake on occasion, but, nothing like this.

I think they taste better than any goose including Specks. Killed several thru the years in SASK.
Generally prepare like a goose......gonna do some "chikkin" tenders out of a breast tomorrow.

1_pointer, same "flock" that comes thru IND is the flock we are now getting to hunt! KY started hunting them a cuppla years ago. You need to raise some hell with your Fish and Game!

better than "the Ribeye of the sky"? Dang, they must be good. Maybe 1pt and I will march on the capital!!! lol

Congrats on getting your birds!

I've never eaten a goose, but I didn't think they were terrible. Got these guys back when I was at NDSU. We couldn't get permission to get on a goose field, so we hunted the thousands of cranes there were in this one!

Bens1stsandhillcrane_zps0eae5bb8.jpg

SandhillCraneHunt3_zps14c826ed.jpg

After 12-15 years of wishing, lobbying , writing letters to TWRA and newspapers and attending TN Wildlife Commission meetings, we finally got us a Sand Hill Crane season.
Rules ended being present at a live drawing for 400 permits with each permit valid for up to three birds for the season. To help control the anti's, rules required a TN hunting license, TN duck stamp and Federal stamp before being allowed to participate. Season opened on Nov 28 and last til end of Dec. NR's could apply but had to meet the requirements to participate in draw.
This morning was first time I could get out. Met a buddy and we got to our spot around 8:30, put out a couple of dozen Canada Goose decoys for "confidence" and besides, goose season is open too. Sat on buckets on edge of field in weeds and privet.
Dammitman! After 15 years of anticipating a Crane hunt, we were picking up decoys at 9:20.....waited 15 years for a 35 minute hunt! Whacked our three apiece with 4 mature and two juveniles. Sometimes life is GOOD!!!
I will see if a picture can be posted.

I know what this means. here ya go.

I'm going to have to knuckle down and get a MT permit. Definitely have wanted to bag one but haven't found the time.

Congrats on the successful hunt, short though it was :)

Sweet! Wish they'd open one here in Indiana. Literally thousands stop over in a few locations, but all's we get to do is look.

Ditto here in WI. I think we are closer, I know farmers can now get crop damage tags.

Y'all in WI and IN need to do some serious lobbying! It is same flock KY and TN can now hunt! They start assembling in WI and then group together bigtime in that big Indiana refuge before coming South. I can think of no waterfowl mgmt. issue that should deny you the opportunity to hunt them also!

BTW, cooked some yesterday for my visiting son and my lunch. Used a really complicated recipe! Sliced a couple of breast into strips (like chikkin tenders), sprinkled a moderate amount of Tony's Creole seasoning over each piece and let set for a couple of hours, dipped them in egg with a few dashes of Crystal hot sauce, rolled in all purpose flour and fried in skillet with olive oil. Outstanding! Probably tasted more like round steak than sirloin but dang good!

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back