Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sand hill crane hunt.

Coyotes-R-Us

Crane hunting in this part of the state is by draw permit only.
The closest area by me is a 255 mile round trip and there are 10 permits given out.
This is my second tag in three years, go figure. Cranes by Nature are not water birds.
They fallow the water courses and roost standing in the water or near by trees. Then go out to the grain fields to feed.
We are not supposed to shoot then in there roosting areas so we set back a ways and pass shoot them as the go or return from feeding.
These are BIG birds , some as tall as I am. I feel you need some serous shot shells.
Last time I used my coyote loads Lead "F" shot 3 1/2" 1 5/8 oz..
Maybe a little over the top, did the job My boy and I each had a tag and we filled then in the first half hour of the season.
This year I loaded some #5 nickel plated lead 1 1/2oz. in 3' hulls powered by a GOOD charge of blue dot.
I shot them in my 870 and a .669 extended ported choke.
We snuck in well before sunup. There a bit lazy getting up to feed. We can shoot them 1/2 hour before sunup but the never seam to get going till the sun hits the water.
Two minutes after sunup the 870 barked and a nice mature sand hill crane plummeted to the ground, almost.
As you see in the video it rolled in to the river and my camera man, my boy had to do a water rescue.
All is good, I was prepared to go for a dip but he beat me to it and it was only a foot deep.

CRUSHED the crane!!!
WOW was I impressed for a 50 yard shot

It was a little bigger then the last two.

101_2839.jpg

101_2847.jpg

101_2853.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0FDbnM5p4&feature=youtu.be

Last time

101_1230.jpg

Last edited:
Where were you at?

I will be going out to Dillon this weekend to fill my two tags. My bird should be back from the taxidermist anyday now.

@Cushman, it is really good. huge breasts with red meat. Not dark or rich like waterfowl.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back