Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Salmon Economist Admits Distortions

BigHornRam

Salmon study author scales back findings
By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian

Early last year, economist Don Reading released a study estimating Idaho stood to hook into a whopping $544 million each year if wild salmon runs were fully restored.

But a recent independent review of his work has adjusted that figure downward a bit - to a paltry $7 million a year, in fact, forcing Reading back to the economic drawing board.

“I'm redoing parts of the study,” Reading said. “Some of the things in the review I tend to agree with, and some I don't, but I am working on revising the numbers.”

How Reading's big fish story shrank with the telling has much to do with what gets counted, how it gets counted, and what you choose to call the stuff you're counting.

A consulting economist for Ben Johnson Associates, Reading has been measuring fish dollars for years, and his 2005 study was not his first to project large gains from sport angling.

In it, he counted anglers, river trips and costs, and finally estimated that a fully restored salmon and steelhead sport fishery would boost Idaho's economy by hundreds of millions of dollars.

“Most of the $544 million benefit projected by this study would come to small, rural communities in Idaho,” he reported, “the very towns that need it most.”

Others, especially those in the environmental community, took his numbers and ran, extrapolating to suggest a $5.5 billion boost once Washington and Oregon were included.

The study was endorsed and hailed by local chambers of commerce and other Idaho business groups.

Trouble was, even Reading admits the “$544 million benefit” he spoke of is not, exactly, a “benefit.”

Instead, it's an “impact.”

And that's an important distinction, likely worth many tens of millions of dollars.

When Reading worked up his numbers, he simply counted how much money would leave anglers' wallets while they were fishing in Idaho. But when analyzed by an independent review panel - convened by the Northwest Power and Conservation Council - it became clear that economic “benefits” could only be determined by first subtracting the amount Idaho would have to spend reeling in those anglers.

An example: If a fisherman comes to Idaho and buys a fancy new rod, that's a $500 economic “impact.” But that $500 rod cost the retailer $300, so the economic “benefit” is only $200.

“I wish I hadn't used the word ‘benefit,' ” Reading said in retrospect. “I should have used the word ‘impact.' ”

Of course, an impact doesn't put money in people's pockets the way a benefit does, and the panel recommended Reading quantify changes to personal income and jobs rather than simply money changing hands.

Reading also admits his study looked at the total salmon and steelhead fishing economy, including existing business. Any income added from a restored fishery, then, could only be calculated once the existing salmon economy is subtracted out.

In addition, reviewers said Reading did not adequately separate out local fishermen from out-of-state anglers. And he did not analyze what other sectors of the angling economy might lose if, say, local anglers went salmon fishing instead of trout fishing.

He also said he included costs that might, in fact, be paid in other places as anglers travel to Idaho from their home states.

“Like all things in economics,” he said, “it depends on what kind of questions you ask. I asked very certain kinds of questions, and they think I should have asked other kinds of questions. That's fair. I'll ask new questions.”

Reading is remarkably generous and open to those who have challenged his work, saying the discrepancy should spark more focused investigation into the value of sport fisheries.

“Hopefully,” he said, “we'll start to get to where we all want to go. Let's get the numbers in line and make this thing work.”

But on some points, he said, the reviewers just didn't get it. His study, for instance, openly assumes that a sufficient business infrastructure exists to relieve all those fishermen of their money, even though everyone knows it does not.

Critics said the reality is that the infrastructure isn't there to fully support the salmon and steelhead economy, but Reading argues that isn't the point.

“I'm looking at the big picture of what's possible for these towns,” he said. “I've said all along that the study is looking down the road at what could be, not what is.”

He admits his $544 million projection is too high for any real “benefit,” but he suspects the council's $7 million estimate will prove too low. The council, for its part, sticks by the assertion that although Reading's work “substantially overstates” the potential gains, a restored fishery “can result in large local impacts in some cases.”

“Look,” he said, “we're still talking millions and millions of dollars, very big bucks to these small towns. Nobody disputes that.”

And while he doesn't yet know what the final estimate will look like, neither does he - nor anyone else for that matter - know what it would cost to bring such a fishery to reality.

For decades, salmon and steelhead runs have dwindled, blocked by big hydroelectric dams in the Columbia River basin. There have been plans to tweak the dams for fish passage, to truck fish around the dams and to remove the dams. Others say the answer will be found in hatcheries, or in reducing the downstream commercial catch.

Meanwhile, upstream in Montana, dam operators struggle to provide enough water for Idaho's migrating salmon and steelhead while at the same time holding back enough for resident bull trout and westslope cutthroat trout. The wrangling over water and dam operations has been expensive and contentious, by all accounts.

Still no one, Reading said, knows what a fully restored Idaho fishery might cost.

If you could restore it for a quick billion and receive benefits totaling $500 million a year, he said, then it might make pretty good sense. But if restoration runs $100 billion and benefits total just $7 million a year, then it's obviously a much tougher sell.

For now, he said, it's enough to just estimate how much benefit there might be. He's sure it won't be the $544 million he initially projected, saying “it could come down a long ways from that, and if it does, I won't be surprised at all.”

His revised work, he said, should be on the table for reviewers by winter's end.

The economic benefits of restoring salmon and steelhead sport fisheries highlights the agenda at the January meeting of the Northwest Power and Conservation Council. Set for the 17th and 18th, the meeting takes place in Vancouver, Wash. For a full schedule, link to www.nwcouncil.org.

I dont think you need any independent council to review anything...just ask some folks that run restaurants, motels, tackle stores, etc. in Riggins, Kamiah, Orifino, etc. if better runs would be better for their ecomony.

For Christ sake, its not rocket science.

During the 2002 salmon season in Riggins, I got lucky and bought the last 3 bags of ice a store had. The owner told me he'd gone through 300 bags of ice THAT DAY.

BHR, quit reading stories about "idependent power council studies". Buy a license, buy some gas for your 1970 ford, spool up with 30 pound test and go see what the economic impacts of salmon and steelhead really are.

Yep, go to Orofino and you will see that there isn't enough of an infrastructure to wad a shotgun. Let's just buy into all of the over-hyped BS from the special interest groups and sacrifice the good of 95% of the population so Buzz, Hose-B and all their buddies can have a nice secure retirement. Funny thing is that this proves what the voters have already figured out-the environmental fringe has lied about years of research to force their agenda on the public and that party is over. Like the boy who cried wolf and it is a shame since the basic premise of conservation has merit. Hard to convince the voters and the courts once you are caught lieing. You guys are no better than your opponents in the "unbiased" area.

Ringer,

You're so full of shit it isnt even funny.

Give us some numbers on the amount of money sport fishing provides to the economy of the UNITED STATES.

My guess is you cant come up with anything, other than your idiotic opinion.

Hey Ringer,

Do you expect anyone to believe your crap? Heres what the USFWS has to say about the economic impacts of sport fishing. If you need help understanding the words larger than 5 letters in length, dont be afraid to ask for help.

The Economic Importance of Sport Fishing

Economic data on sport fishing throughout the United States.

This webpage was developed from the report of the same title by the American Sportfishing Association which was funded by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service using Sport Fish Restoration adminstrative funds.

Recreational Fishing is much more than a traditional American pastime. It creates nearly 1.2 million jobs nationwide. New studies now show that annual spending by America's 35.2 million adult anglers (16 years old and older) amounts to a whopping $37.8 billion. By comparison, if sport fishing were a corporation it would be in thirteenth place on the fortune 500 list of America's largest business, ranking above such global giants at Texaco and DuPont.

If we consider the "ripple" effect this figure grows tremendously. When economists at the American Sportfishing Association (ASA) "crunched" the numbers they saw that anglers' annual spending was shown to have:

Created a nationwide economic impact of about $108.4 billion.
Supported 1.2 million jobs, or slightly more than 1 percent of America's entire civilian labor force, in all sectors of the American economy.

Created household income (Salaries and wages) totaling $28.3 billion, which is roughly equivalent to almost half of America's entire military payroll.

Added $2.4 billion to state tax revenues, or nearly 1 percent of all annual state tax revenues combined.

Contributed $3.1 billion in federal income taxes, which equates to nearly a third of the entire federal budget for agriculture.

Angler Spending Increased in 1996. Every five years the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife Associated Recreation, determine economic spending numbers. This is conducted in conjunction with the U.S. Census Bureau. Economic analysts for ASA then use sophisticated computer models to determine the effects of that spending nationwide.
Aggregate spending on sport fishing increased in real dollars by an amazing 36 percent in the five years since the last survey was taken in 1991, when the total was $27 billion (adjusted for inflation to 1996 dollars).

Comparison of sport Fishing Economic Impact in 1991 and 1996
Nation wide 1991 1996
Expenditures $27.6 billion $37.8 billion
Overall Economic Impact $79.8 billion $108.4 billion
Wages and Salaries $22.0 billion $28.2 billion
Jobs 924,600 1,210,100
State Sales Tax $1.2 billion $1.9 billion
State Income Tax $261 million
Federal Income Tax $2.4 billion

1996 CALIFORNIA SUMMARY

Total Anglers 16 and Older 2 million 2 million
Expenditures $1.7 billion $3.3 billion
Economic Output $3.6 billion $7.1billion
Earnings $1.9 billion
Jobs 40,250 74,420
State Sales Tax $199 million
State Income Taxes $27 million
Federal Income Taxes $214 million
"Sport Fish Restoration
Excise Tax Apportionment"
$9 million

Of the $37.8 billion total spent by anglers in 1996, 15.5 billion was for travel-related costs while another $19 billion went for equipment ranging from reels and fishing lures to sport utility vehicles and boats. Another $2.3 billion was spent on land leases or land ownership for fishing, and about $570 million went for fishing licenses, permits, and fees.

While the spending figures are impressive by themselves, they become even more so through consideration of "ripple" or multiplier effects. This is basically the modern economist's way of saying that money is like manure because the more it's spread around the more good it does. Each dollar spent by an angler increases another person's income, enabling that person (or business) to spend more, which in turn increases income for somebody else. The process continues as wide series of ripples through local regional, and national economies until the spreading fragments of the original dollar become so small they can no longer be measured.

Tourism - based economies depend on sport fishing. There are numerous examples showing this. Lake fork in Texas, for example, is a reservoir with superlative bass fishing that draws anglers from all over the country. According to a 1996 study by Texas A&M University, anglers there spend a whopping 27.5 million a year in the immediate, tri-county area on things such as motels, groceries, gasoline, and marina fees. More than half of that money comes in from outside the immediate area, creating jobs and benefiting families there in ways that might not otherwise be possible. From king Salmon, Alaska, to Greenville, Maine, to Flamingo, Florida, the story's much the same. Sport fishing means jobs, wages and dinner on the table for tens of thousands of families in areas where alternatives are often limited. Clearly, better fishing is better business too.

That also helps to point out the importance of sport fishing tourism as an economic force. A recent study in Massachusetts, as another example, showed that about $93 million a year was being spent in that state by nonresident marine anglers - an amount that was supporting 3,300 local jobs.

The enormously beneficial effects of anglers' spending depend on the continued or improved availability of fishing opportunities. As this new analysis clearly shows, Americans have more reasons than ever before to preserve and enhance fish habitat - an effort that greatly benefits the country as a whole.

It is through environmental measures that improve fish populations that the sport fishing industry can maintain its profitability while helping to protect and enhance the angling heritage of all Americans.

At least I don't get paid to publish research that is off by a bazillion percent then try to bullshit people by admitting my parameters were way off. Very credible spokesman you have there. Maybe he just wanted to be able to "fix" the first project thus doubling the length of his employment.

Hey Ringer,

Try this research on for size:

Dwayne Pfenninger thinks the sport fishing industry has a public relations problem.

"We as a fishing industry have to do a better job of bringing our message to the people," he said. Pfenninger is general manager of All-Sports, a Clackamas wholesaler that supplies fishing gear to stores such as Bi-Mart and G.I. Joe's.

To do that, businesses that previously were more interested in competing than cooperating organized a few years ago into the Northwest Sportfishing Industry Association. Members range from mom-and-pop bait shops to corporate giants such as Fred Meyer Inc.

"We could see the salmon resource crumbling around us and other industries deciding our fate," said Liz Hamilton, executive director of the group. "We decided we wanted to be at the table and bring a positive, jobs-and-money message to the debate."

To bolster the industry's position, Hamilton offers figures from 1991, the last year they were compiled. That year, salmon and steelhead angling generated $1.2 billion for the economies of Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Northern California, according to the American Sportfishing Assocation.

In Oregon, salmon anglers spent $489 million, the Sport Fishing Institute said. In the four states combined, the industry supported 43,000 jobs, generating nearly $736 million in personal income.

Ringer,

Apparently your last firing brain cell has quit working.

Go ahead, prove that sport fishing has no economic importance to the U.S. economy.

This should be real entertaining.

Buzz-we were typing at the same time. Very impressive that you could find so much info on America's #1 recreation activity. Now isolate the economic contribution of adding more salmon and steelhead to the area we are discussing. Can't count saltwater, bass fishing, trout fishing, pike fishing or urban lakes fishing. Now let's consider that the areas in question already have a solid contribution from the existing runs of fish as well as trout, sturgeon etc. Now give me what you think would be ADDED revenue and subtract whatever the real cost of breaching would be and give me a payback projection in years for the voters in the affected areas to consider. I think that is what your researcher was attempting to do; however, he failed to inform his sponsors that he couldn't find his ass with both hands.

Just read the Oregon scenario and you haven't said a friggin thing there. The question at hand is in regards to doing radical and expensive projects to increase the salmon and steelhead runs. Your information basically says that UNDER CURRENT CONDITIONS the industry is thriving. I am willing to bet that spending has increased every year in history so can't say that your position would add those dollars. You need to focus on ADDITIONAL revenue so we can sell your position to the VOTERS since they are the ones who must pay for your proposal. Sort of like if you owned your own business and were justifying a capital expenditure but I doubt you could fathom how that works.

Ringer,

You cant isolate anadromous fish. The runs are fished from Alaska to Northern California...both in fresh and salt water.

What about the economic impact that would be added by commercial fishing?

If you want something local, I can use Orifino for an example. The Guide Shop in Orifino more than doubled its revenues during the salmon seasons. They also purchased additional boats, employed more guides, went through more tackle, etc. etc. etc.

If you could find a motel room...it had to be a cancellation. Restaurants were crowded and packed all the time. I dont know for sure...but I heard the bars like the Jet Club were busier than usual. Dales Tackle had an absolute bitch of a time keeping tackle on the shelves.

When you cant find a place to stay, buy pencil lead or 2/0 salmon hooks, and you have to wait 10 minutes for a beer in the Jet Club...I'd say theres some pretty serious economic impact from salmon.

What was your observation? Thats right, YOU WERENT THERE.

Ringer,

The dams have put every run of anadromous fish in the state of Idaho on the list of threatened and endangered species.

Well over 1 billion has been spent BY LAW, to restore them. In other words, the tax payers are getting screwed by the dams on several fronts. They have to pay for salmon recovery as well as all the subsidies paid for the initial installation of the dams. Not to mention the maintainence thats required, the subisidized barge transportation, etc. etc. etc.

Many more billions will be spent trying stupid ideas like barging salmon, turbin screens, killing pike minnows, and fighting litigation of dam spillage, etc.

The tax payers have no choice, they cant afford not to restore salmon and steelhead. They're required to by law.

You just dont get it.

Oh, I spent plenty of days fishing the Clearwater and you are not getting my drift. You can't count what is currently contributed in any of your examples. You have to build a case for improving the runs and that can only be done by isolating INCREMENTAL dollars. Politicians are experts and counting the same dollar hundreds of times to prove their point. If you are going to make progress in your efforts you need to hire people who can honestly research the incremental impact on the area's economy. Lay the emotion aside and start thinking tactically and you may have some success. Good luck.

Ringer,

Use this for an example:

From 1978-1998 how much money did salmon bring to the economy of Idaho?

I'll answer for you...not one frickin' cent...there werent any seasons.

From 1998-2003 you can take all the revenues from salmon fishing and add that to your "incremental amount". Now, tell me it isnt in the tens of millions of dollars per year ADDED to the economy of Idaho.

Like I said, you just dont get it.

Take out the sportfishing revenues from other species and the steelhead fishery and you might have a number. I doubt it will be tens of millions incrementally. Give me the real economic costs of breaching so we can subtract that amount and BINGO! Then sell it to the voters and start breaching. The law and court issue you brought up may or may not work so you need a credible plan if it doesn't. My whole point is that the voters and the courts are going away from the environmental fringe point of view so there needs to be a better focus on logic and sales or you will never win your arguement. Actually I hope you do win and there is a tremendous resurgence of salmon and steelhead up the rivers. Probably will need a nice nuke plant to get the job done.

ringer said:
My whole point is that the voters and the courts are going away from the environmental fringe point of view so there needs to be a better focus on logic and sales or you will never win your arguement. .

Ringer,
You have any data or anecdotes to support that bullshit statement?

Every year, more and more voters support breaching the dams. Judge Redden continues to hand the "environmental fringe" more and more victories over management of the Columbia River System.

But I await your information.....

Here is one of ringer's rulings that seems not to support his claim. ringer, can you explain where the judge is going away from the "environmental fringe"?
Judge orders extra spill at dams to aid salmon

By JEFF BARNARD
AP environmental writer

GRANTS PASS — A federal judge Thursday ordered the federal government to continue spilling extra water over dams on the lower Snake and lower Columbia rivers to help young salmon and steelhead migrate to the ocean.

The order from U.S. District Judge James Redden in Portland came as a result of his ruling earlier this year that the Bush administration’s latest plan for operating the federally owned hydroelectric dams in the Columbia Basin jeopardized the survival of threatened and endangered salmon and steelhead.

NOAA Fisheries, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Bonneville Power Administration had proposed putting about half the young fish in barges and tank trucks to get them around the dams on the lower Snake and lower Columbia rivers and relying on spill for the other half. That would spread the risks for the salmon and avoid the loss of tens of millions of dollars in electricity revenues.

The judge approved the government’s plans for spring and summer spills over the dams, but extended it during both seasons, saying that the scientific justification for barging and trucking the fish was not conclusive.

“We are a long way from solving this problem from bringing back salmon for all the communities and people that depend on them,’’ Earthjustice attorney Todd True, who represents the conservation and fishing groups that won the lawsuit, said in a statement. “But once again, the court has recognized that doing nothing is completely unacceptable.

“The ball is squarely in the federal agencies court to come up with a plan that makes the major changes in dams and dam operations that our region needs. We will see in the coming months if they can meet the challenge.’’

Bonneville Power Administration spokesman Mike Hansen said the agency that markets power produced by the dams would continue to focus its efforts looking for ways to operate the dams without harming salmon that are agreeable to all interests, including the government, Indian tribes, the fishing industry, and utilities.

BPA will have an estimate in a couple weeks on the cost of the spill ordered by the judge, Hansen said. However, the amount of water spilled over the dams last summer under Redden’s orders amounted to $75 million in lost revenues, accounting for a 2 percent to 3 percent increase in wholesale power rates for BPA customers.

NOAA Fisheries and the Corps of Engineers did not immediately return calls for comment.

Meanwhile, NOAA Fisheries, the Army Corps of Engineers and BPA are appealing Redden’s May ruling to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Dams affected by the order are Lower Granite, Little Goose, Lower Monumental and Ice harbor on the lower Snake and McNary, John Day, The Dalles and Bonneville on the lower Columbia.

Snake River spring/summer chinook and Snake River steelhead are the species that benefit most from spilling extra water and carrying young fish around dams in the spring. Snake River fall chinook are the species helped most by summer spill and transportation.

Redden also endorsed the Fish Passage Center’s conclusions that the survival rate for Snake River fall chinook over the dams was the highest in five years during the summer of 2005, when he ordered extra spill over the dams to help the fish.

Redden said he was concerned that the Fish Passage Center would not be able to continue assessing the success of upcoming salmon migrations. Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, eliminated funding for the center after its report on the success of extra spill was issued.

He added that he expects the government to produce evidence justifying the use of trucks instead of barges to transport fish around the dams during the latter part of the summer migration, or stop using the trucks.

I read that the last time you posted it. Problem you will have in the future is the appeal process that will now go up to a more conservative SC. Your local enviro judge will fall along with the 9th circuit more in the future. The needs of the majority need to be accomodated and that is what your side has ignored in past court cases. You need to alter your strategy to succeed.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back