Yeti GOBOX Collection

GOP congressman wants to remove 4 dams to save Idaho’s salmon

Define "fiscally conservative"...I would suggest that congress has forgotten the definition. Not to mention, that it may very well be fiscally conservative to remove these dams, restore fisheries, and the fishing economy (both sport and commercial).

I also believe that, at the very least, removing the LSR dams will buy another decade or two of wild salmon and steelhead. That would give the next generation a chance to solve the problems that past generations caused, and that we're afraid to address. I contend future generations will be smarter by learning from the mistakes we've made. They also may not be as afraid of failure as most currently are these days. Nothing in life is a given and you don't solve complex, big issues by being afraid of failure. It requires bold, calculated thinking, and big solutions.

I'm not scared of breaching a few dams and have wayyyy more faith in future generations than the one I live in.
Hey...I said 'fiscally conservative congressman'...not fiscally conservative. I agree, big difference. :ROFLMAO:

Folks are working on getting fish past Joseph and Coulee, it may take time but I think it will happen,. However it won't be via dam removal. Goes back to run-of-river dams vs storage-dams. All the high profile dam removal projects in the Pacific Northwest are overwhelmingly run-of-river dams. Storage-dams typically represent a more pronounced connection to water delivery, and since its water that is for fighting and not hydro-power, they stay in.

Here is the tool they will likely use at storage-dam projects.

Here is a more scientifical link (you can then download the report) for those disposed to enjoying rocket-surgery and brain-science.

This type of design has really moved the needle big time with respect to improving runs.

Here are the jobs these projects create as far away as Montana.

I have my doubts on the long term viability of getting fish mechanically over high head dams. It hasn't worked well in OR https://deschutesriveralliance.word...und-butte-how-long-will-we-let-this-continue/

And Whoosh seems too small scale.

I have my doubts on the long term viability of getting fish mechanically over high head dams. It hasn't worked well in OR https://deschutesriveralliance.word...und-butte-how-long-will-we-let-this-continue/

And Whoosh seems too small scale.

Wow, you nailed the low hanging fruit. You must either work for PGE or you fish the Deschutes a lot. I'll assume you fish it.

When dams stay in place they have to be managed and operated properly to benefit fish runs. You can negate flawlessly designed passage systems due to incompatible management and operation of the dam. Unfortunately, this will always be true. If the dam stays in it has to be manged and operated properly to pass fish. In my opinion, Pelton does not manage its project properly to maximize fish returns.

The cause of the consternation surrounding Pelton, is due to the fact PGE changed the way they operated and managed Pelton in the middle of the design process. That would be like telling Ford midstream in the process of designing a gas powered V8 that they are actually designing a turbo diesel V6. Knowing those details earlier designers would have been able to better match up the passage facilities to the management and operation of dam discharges.

That being said, my opinion is that Pelton is an outlier relative to vast majority of other floating surface collector (FSC) designs constructed over the last decade. There are far more that work effectively than do not.

Since we're straying off the topic of this thread you can DM me or we can start a new thread if you want to discuss it more.

Last edited:
Should the Columbia watershed damns be removed what are we going to do to replace the 8700 mega watts of CO2 free power they make?

Gosh, glad you brought this up. I'm sure no one has ever thought of this issue....
Gosh, I am sure they have, but I will be damned if I have ever heard someone offer a workable sollution.

FIFY.

If the Columbia and Snake River dams were wind or solar farms in your state, that were threatening the existence of deer, elk, and antelope, I'm guessing you'd view things differently.
I'm not arguing for against them being removed... you assumed that. I am asking where the CO2 free power is going to come from. Have any idea how large a foot print 8700MW of wind would entail?

I am asking where the CO2 free power is going to come from. Have any idea how large a foot print 8700MW of wind would entail?
My area of expertise is conservation, not energy development. I don't have the answer to your question.

I'm aware of the vast majority of large dam removals in the west. I have not seen a project yet where water rights were cut off or curtailed. Water users have always been able to get their full allotment of water if and when they want it. There are a few (very few) cases where engineering firms botched a design aspect of the new water deliver system, but that's just engineering. Same thing happens with bridges, roads, and buildings, sometimes the engineers make mistakes. Folks still have to do their due diligence when hiring an engineering firm.

I'd like to know what way of life is under attack? Especially given the fact that 3 of the 4 LSDs provide no irrigation benefit at all, to anyone. As I covered in a former post, Ice Harbor provides "incidental irrigation" that delivers water to 35,00-47,000 acres of eastern WA. Which is less than 2% of eastern WA water needs. Dam removal is not a threat to wet-land agriculture. Not only will the government funded irrigation construction deliver the same amount of water to farmers, post removal, it will do so more efficiently. The entire irrigation system for each effected farmer will get an upgrade. Efficiency will result in a lot of savings for each farmer. They may even be able to generate profit if they have the ability to sell excess water to other users. This is not a conspiracy to destroy agriculture, we all need food. Its not an "us or them" scenario. This can be a "we" win for everyone. Farmers get a benefit as do the fish. The farming community already gets nearly $100 billion per year from the Federal Farm Bill. This will just be another subsidy for the agriculture community, one that's focused on upgrading archaic water deliver systems. In fact I see a day in the not so distant future where dam removals are funded via the Farm Bill.

The opposition has done a great job over the years turning dam removal into a water right fist fight, when it doesn't even exist.

“Despite what supporters of the plan claim, make no mistake, this is a drastic measure that would forever alter our way of life in the Pacific Northwest, and not for good,” he said. “Idaho Farm Bureau members are adamantly opposed to this proposal.”

Last edited:
See post #158 and more importantly go to the Senators page and read for yourself what's being proposed.
158 has nothing to do with what I asked and the only reference I have seen on replacement sources of power is the mention of "renewable sources".

158 has nothing to do with what I asked and the only reference I have seen on replacement sources of power is the mention of "renewable sources".
I think he meant post 122, the National renewable energy lab put out a report indicating commercial, large (20MW+) solar power plants are about 8 acres/MW.

Wind power is more like 60 acre/MW, though that is due to spreading out the wind mills.

I think he meant post 122, the National renewable energy lab put out a report indicating commercial, large (20MW+) solar power plants are about 8 acres/MW.

Wind power is more like 60 acre/MW, though that is due to spreading out the wind mills.
The Pacific NW isnt particularly well suited to solar. I havent seen any wind study data, but it very well maybe well suited to wind. The problem is scale. 8700 MW is a huge amount of power. And wind will never, ever be as cheap as Hydro.
For reference Wyoming currently has about 1500mw of wind generation, but it's a prime area for wind development. To get adequate capacity factors it's very likely wind farms in Washington state would have to be much larger than those in Wyoming.
The other thing to consider is, if what Buzz says is true about smelt survival would removing several run of the river dams have much effect on andromanous fish populations?

Modern nuclear power is the only long term energy strategy humans have until we get cold fusion. I don’t buy wind being worth the cost. And solar is great small scale not large

Modern nuclear power is the only long term energy strategy humans have until we get cold fusion. I don’t buy wind being worth the cost. And solar is great small scale not large
Nuclear is pretty much a non starter, sadly.

Nuclear is pretty much a non starter, sadly.
The sad part, it is a simple math equation if everyone wants electricity then you have to have a large enough supply. If you destroy all the carbon based energy then you are left with a deficit that can only be fulfilled by Nuclear.

The Pacific NW isnt particularly well suited to solar. I havent seen any wind study data, but it very well maybe well suited to wind. The problem is scale. 8700 MW is a huge amount of power. And wind will never, ever be as cheap as Hydro.
For reference Wyoming currently has about 1500mw of wind generation, but it's a prime area for wind development. To get adequate capacity factors it's very likely wind farms in Washington state would have to be much larger than those in Wyoming.
The other thing to consider is, if what Buzz says is true about smelt survival would removing several run of the river dams have much effect on andromanous fish populations?
SMOLT

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back