Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Salmon Economist Admits Distortions

Jose, if you, as many here seem to imply, are indeed a barrister, wouldn't "BigWhore" be a term of endearment? :D ;) :rolleyes:

Yep Ken,

Jose loves me! He even offered to take me to go see Brokeback Mountain.

Jose, my comment that you would make a good politician was ment as a complement. The way you can argue both sides of an issue is a gift. That skill would come in extremely handy when negotiating with lobbiests. You're Monica L. skills would be usefull as well.

Erik in AK said:
To the group...
last time this argument came up, didn't some one post the electricty generation figures for these three dams? As I recall, their collective contribution equalled a small percentage of the total MwH consumed in the NW, something like 9% to 11%.

I happen to be in favor of restored runs. The Columbia Watershed is huge and the idea of salmon moving through places like Boise to spawn in elk country is exciting. That said, the real argument boils down to a side by side comparison (granted, both sides will contain estimates) of the economic impact to the region with and without dams.
Can you cut your energy use 9-11% without repercussion? Like you, I don't have a horse in this race but people do need accurate figures to make effective long term plans.

SRR,
The "less than 5%" number is for BPA, the quasi-Fed agency that oversees the power in the basin from the Federal projects. MarvB can explain how they work, as most people can't. The BPA is a net exporter of power from the region, therfore, using simple logic, there is an excess of power in the region. There are some problems with timing issues due to uneven Supply (water going downstream) and uneven Demand (Californians cranking on the AC) and the needs of the fish. (Also, keep in mind, that there is a lot of generation in the region that is OUTSIDE of the BPA).

For the most part though, the Power Production argument is not really an important argument any more. That one has been shot down by everybody with any common sense. The argument against breaching that is holding things up the most is the Barging issue, and that is only because of a few grain farmers in Northern Idaho and Western Montana that like to see a bushel of grain get to Portland for a penny less than if by rail, as the barge trip is subsidised by taxpayers and the rail trip is not.

BigHornRam said:
Nemont,
So what's your take on this topic? You're one of the knowledgeable few here with half way rational thinking. I'm interested in your opinion.

My thoughts are that it is a complex issue. I think that having native runs of salmon restored may hold more then just an economic value. I also think that the ranges of "economic benefit" between $7 million and $544 million show that nobody really knows the exact net economic impact/benefit.

If dams are breached there will be a definate big dislocation in the local economies and the salmon runs most likely won't recover fast enough to make up for the loss of the dams in the short run.

If you look soley at power production much of that power could be replaced by wind generation (which has it's critics as well). The value of the power generation does not appear worth the cost of mitigating the impact on Salmon runs. It seems silly to continue to spend a lot of taxpayers money to barge and truck salmon around dams. Breaching them may be more efficient, both economically and socially. As with any government program there will be powerful political interests that will get hurt.

Having had to search my politically and fiscally conservative heart alot lately I am more and more convinced that less government spending the better. I have argued passionately for federal land grazing and a large military budget but even those may need to be dialed back in order to leave our children a legacy other then a huge national debt.

So my opinion in this case is breaching the dams probably would make economic sense, I don't know how you put a value on Salmon fishing for native run Salmon. I do not think all dams are evil and need to be breached.

Nemont

Thats fair enough Nemont, and I'm betting most on here are running on the same feelings, cept for a slight difference of opinion about tactics to accomplish the end result.

Nemont,

If we could find honest, knowledgeable, straight talking, big picture seeing, non agenda influenced politicians such as yourself, it would be a breath of fresh air, and a whole lot more problems would be solved then are right now. Thank you.

Problem is nobody listens to moderates. Look at how many threads you kill when you start to talk common sense. The extremists get all the air time. Buzz says "I won't compromise, shut your pie hole, and choke on the facts", then presents a whole series of distortions and half truths to push his agenda. Then some one else says "earth first, we'll rape the rest of the planets later" and the tread takes like wild fire.

Some day I hope common sense prevails.

Admit it Paul, you just cain't quit Nemont. ;)

Seriously, I too appreciate and respect Nemont's level observations.

Just catching up on this one! As stated prior, the economic impacts/benefits/pluses/minuses are definately hard to quantify- primarily since the majority of the "numbers" are EXTREMELY biased by BOTH sides and a goodly amount of the "easy numbers" equate back to a highly volitale (energy) market that changes by the hour. I personally try to toss out the rants of the extremists (I do think that the Northwest Power & Conservation Council does as "decent" a job as anybody of trying to present all sides to the issue) as I'm one who would rather give a little to get something done rather than to constantly go for the home run.

I just dug back into some of my old data, a review of the Corps’ Lower Snake Feasibility Study (Alternative 4), and the annual cost of breaching for that ran an average of $370 million (range of $343M to $400M) while the associated benefits of breaching the Lower Snake Dams was pegged at $154 million annualy. HOWEVER the range of the anticipated beneftis of breaching went from as little as $79 million to over $1600 million per year (That's a lot of ice ;) ). Nearly all of this variance is due to the huge range of estimates of the (get your raft Gunner) non-angling recreation values on a restored natural Lower Snake River.

Again, no easy answers and not an easy thing to analyze with respect to the variables involved (I think Jeff (Nemont) needs to run for office- he's far to rational to not be abused by the masses ;) ) I will banter more later but have got to run to a meeting about another SI topic....Wind Power!!!

79 or 1600? My guess is the researcher with the $1.6 BILLION was the same guy in this thread or one of Buzz and Jose's hacks. Funny stuff.

JoseCuervo said:
SRR,
The "less than 5%" number is for BPA, the quasi-Fed agency that oversees the power in the basin from the Federal projects. MarvB can explain how they work, as most people can't. The BPA is a net exporter of power from the region, therfore, using simple logic, there is an excess of power in the region. There are some problems with timing issues due to uneven Supply (water going downstream) and uneven Demand (Californians cranking on the AC) and the needs of the fish. (Also, keep in mind, that there is a lot of generation in the region that is OUTSIDE of the BPA).

For the most part though, the Power Production argument is not really an important argument any more. That one has been shot down by everybody with any common sense. The argument against breaching that is holding things up the most is the Barging issue, and that is only because of a few grain farmers in Northern Idaho and Western Montana that like to see a bushel of grain get to Portland for a penny less than if by rail, as the barge trip is subsidised by taxpayers and the rail trip is not.

First let me say that I was suprised to find there really is a fish passage center
http://www.fpc.org/fpc_homepage.html
Now can you document why Larry Craig, single handedly, stopped funding or are we supposed to just take your word for it?
Now to this post, "using simple logic" (biting my tongue) there is a excessive amount of power in the region.Uh we are an entire nation and the nation always needs power. If one region can export power to anither region, that's a good thing
1) people in your region have all the power they need- shortages are bad
2)Selling excess power is good for the people in your region, if it can be sold for a profit it keeps everyones rates down.
Ssomeday you will have to explain how shutting down performing, paid for, and non-polluting energy sources at a time when our country is desperately hungry for more energy is "common sense".
Wait, from your posts I am pretty sure that the U.S.A. is not your country. Perhaps the republic of buttswanna need energy as well?

SRR,

You can do a Google News search on "Larry Craig Fish Passage Center" and find lots of corroboration. Here is one excerpt:

The Fish Passage Center (FPC) - a critical science support agency for Pacific salmon policy decisions - has recently been dismantled by Senator Larry Craig (R-ID) through language added to an Energy & Water Appropriations Bill. Senator Craig succeeded in blocking funding for the independent scientific agency by inserting one sentence in the bill's report language, "The Bonneville Power Administration may make no new obligations in support of the Fish Passage Center." With the FPC providing irreplaceable science and analysis to federal, state and tribal fishery managers in the Columbia and Snake River basins, its elimination has dealt an undeserving blow to Pacific salmon recovery.

The elimination of the FPC stands as yet another example of how the federal government has failed to recover the Northwest's salmon, and of Senator Craig's efforts to 'kill the messenger' by undermining - and silencing - sound salmon science in the Northwest. For over two decades the FPC has provided the data and analysis that has allowed the region's fishery managers to fully understand the complex dynamics of salmon and steelhead migration, and to make management decisions based on the best independent science available.

With the government currently in a year-long process of rewriting the Biological Opinion (Salmon Plan) for the Columbia and Snake Rivers, our region's state and tribal fishery managers need access to good science like never before. Further more, with the salmon recovery at such a critical juncture, the FPC's closure runs the enormous risk of shutting the states and Tribes out of federal salmon recovery efforts - an outcome our region can ill-afford. For over 20 years the FPC has guaranteed state and tribal fishery managers a seat at the table for salmon recovery; if we want to get salmon recovery back on track while we still can, we must ensure that the successor to the FPC continues to meet the scientific needs of the states and tribes.

Elected officials across the Northwest have voiced their support for the Fish Passage Center and now - after being dismantled by Senator Craig - want to ensure that its functions are seamlessly transfered to a new entity. In order to ensure the transfer moves forward in such fashion Senators Patty Murray (WA), Ron Wyden (OR) and Murray Cantwell (WA) have urged the Bonnewille Power Administration (BPA) to adhere to the following parameters while transfering the functions of the FPC to a new entity:

Ensure that all of the current responsibilities and functions of the FPC are transfered to a single independent entity, not divided among several existing entities;
Ensure that state and tribal fishery managers play a central role in decisions and negotiations involving the future of the FPC's functions and services; and
that the region's states and tribes that depend on accurate and timely salmon migration data and analysis in order to meet their salmon recovery planning responsibilities and obligations have a direct and defined role in the implementation and oversight of this new entity;
Ensure that the new entity be housed independently of BPA, the Council, or any other existing agency, or University; but
Ensure that BPA continues to provide funding support for the new entity's responsibilities and functions in a manner that guarantees no loss or interruption of services; and
Ensure that the data and analyses generated and developed by this new entity be readily available to the public at no cost.

And please learn how to read before you start attributing your false statements to me. I did not say there was "excessive" power, but an "excess" of power. A much different statement.

How does some power generation that raises water temp, degrades the water quality, kills 98% of the smolts in the river be considered a "non-polluting energy source"?

As for your "region" analysis, you might want to learn something about Electricity and transmission of the same.

Any more questions?

Yes several
Whom is your cut and paste attributed to? You seldom cite a source.
Do you have proof that hydro-electric generators "raises water temp, degrades the water quality, kills 98% of the smolts in the river "? Cite it.
I do know something about Electricity and transmission of same, do you?
I did a google as you asked and found one entry. It appears to be a one man blog
http://commonground.typepad.com/commonground/2005/06/sentor_aims_to_.html
Not too impressive.
the google link
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="Larry+Craig+Fish+Passage+Center"&btnG=Google+Search
edited to add google link/srr

SRR,
If you are too stupid to know how to use Google for optimal search results, don't keep asking us to spoon feed you.

If you really care about the issue, you will be better served by reading the volumes of data there than if I keep spoon feeding you the information. Take some initiative and learn how to edjumacate yourself.

Ken,

Careful now, I not one of those "brokeback" boys from Missoula.

Marv,

I think you ought to consider being abused by the masses as well!

JoseCuervo said:
SRR,
If you are too stupid to know how to use Google for optimal search results, don't keep asking us to spoon feed you.

If you really care about the issue, you will be better served by reading the volumes of data there than if I keep spoon feeding you the information. Take some initiative and learn how to edjumacate yourself.
Answer my questions and cite your sources.

SRR,

Have you ever researched anything yourself? Or do just prefer being spoon-fed your mush?

To help answer one of your questions about dams killing smolt (assuming you know what a smolt is) try finding something to do with nitrogen (again assuming you know what nitrogen is).

Also, do you have even a general concept of fish life-cycles, riparian health, or how rivers are supposed to function?

You need to educate yourself before you start asking the tough questions.

Frankly, it would appear you dont have a clue.

Listen you simple minded son of a bitch, if you or hosehead post something as fact you need to back it the #*^@#* up. Just sitting on your fat asses and typing bullshit does not cut it.
Frankly when it comes to pretty much anything, it's you two who don't have a clue. You may be used to a bonehead taking your words at face value. I won't.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back