Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sad, sad story

Bigjay73

He does not need to be locked up. There is no punishment that will even come remotely close to what is going on in that father's head for the rest of his life.
It doesn’t make him any less negligent. I suspect if it were one of my kids he’d killed- I’d want to see him dangling from a rope. Article basically said he had a loaded rifle in the vehicle, pointed as his kid and pulled the trigger. He should never be allowed to own a firearm again, regardless of how much anguish he might be in.

It doesn’t make him any less negligent. I suspect if it were one of my kids he’d killed- I’d want to see him dangling from a rope. Article basically said he had a loaded rifle in the vehicle, pointed as his kid and pulled the trigger. He should never be allowed to own a firearm again, regardless of how much anguish he might be in.
While I'd wait for the details to come out, if the article is correct then I'd have to agree with greenhorn. Gut wrenching.

I can't agree. I've seen this play out a couple of times before in my life. I actually sold a couple rifles to a father and his young son when I worked in sporting goods. He accidentally shot his son while pulling the gun out of the pick up. You don't need to worry about him dangling from a rope, as from what I have personally witnessed there is a good chance the father will end his own life. Then those that are already completely broken will be all but destroyed by losing two from the same family. The trouble with firearms accidents is that being sorry doesn't fix anything. The idea behind a punishment is to provide a deterrent to repeating the behavior. If accidentally killing your daughter isn't enough of a deterrent, there is nothing in prison or punishment, that would be more effective. I'm sure that father would gladly receive any punishment, no matter how severe, or prison time, if he could have his daughter back. The reality is she is never coming back and he is never have a day of peace for the rest of his life.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Guy broke the 3 Main rules of firearm safety and killed somebody. His sadness is understandable but he don’t get a pass and is no less of an idiot. He shouldn’t be allowed to touch a firearm again.

I agree with your second sentence completely. I seriously doubt having anything to do with firearms is anywhere on his radar screen right now. Unless he is extremely stupid (in that regard nothing surprises me these days) he will likely quit hunting and never want anything to do with firearms. At least that's what I've seen from the half a dozen accidents of people I personally knew. I hate firearms accidents! Rarely does anything good come out of them, and mostly it results in destroying more than just the person that was injured or killed.

Another sad story, that happened while I was up in Montana deer hunting, but nothing to do with a firearm or hunting.

Normally, nothing bothers me much, in fact absolutely nothing for the most part. But, I saw these 2 kids alive the evening before they were killed by their mother, with a steak knife. It bothers me that while I was drinking coffee across the street, they were being killed.

Oh, and the reason I saw those kids the evening before out in their yard, is because they lived directly across the street from my Parents house (the house I grew up in).

I woke up several times on my deer hunting trip thinking about this...and how totally F-ed up both people, and the world can be.

Just do this, like we were all told, trained, indoctrinated:
rule-1.png

Every gun, every time, no exceptions.

Just do this, like we were all told, trained, indoctrinated:
rule-1.png

Every gun, every time, no exceptions.
We are, and we follow it religiously, but I'd bet that anyone who has regularly dealt with firearms has at least once pointed one in a direction that was not safe. May not even have realized they did so but it still happens to the most seasoned hunters.

I woke up several times on my deer hunting trip thinking about this...and how totally F-ed up both people, and the world can be.
Damn Buzz, so f’n true… things may “shock” me momentarily when I first hear them but nothing really seems to “surprise” me anymore.

Don’t know if it’s just that news is just so much more immediate these days, or the fact that the media loves to dwell on shit we hate to hear, or if it’s that the world is just truly going to hell and we’ve all got front row seats. Whatever, it’s sad none the less.

He's already in hell, not sure prison is any worse.

You are projecting how you would feel. You can't know how he feels.

Some years ago a coworker had an auto accident that killed his father and nearly killed one of his kids. It was a one car accident where he was driving too fast for conditions. I was astounded at his lack of guilt.

So just because it's his daughter, he should not be given a pass imo. To flip your logic a bit, going to prison or paying a steep fine won't make his situation appreciably worse.

We are, and we follow it religiously, but I'd bet that anyone who has regularly dealt with firearms has at least once pointed one in a direction that was not safe. May not even have realized they did so but it still happens to the most seasoned hunters.
That is why there can never be enough reminders. This thread, peer pressure, range rules. Remember, guns don't kill people by accident, people F-ing up w 'unloaded' guns kill people.

Here's the soapbox back.

Agreed. Take aways are don't point a weapon in an unsafe direction, treat every gun as if it was loaded and don't chamber a round until ready to shoot.

Back