Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

S. 1695: Human Powered Travel in Wilderness Act

There are middle-paths to take on this issue, but it requires some flexibility on both sides to get beyond the immediate draw of the shiny object in front of you, and look for solutions that advance everyone's interests.

Here is how the issue was approached on the Rocky Mtn Front, prescribed under the Heritage Act: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd526830.pdf

Increasing access to state trust lands in places like NM, CO, etc, where the lands are viable spots for mechanized use as well as hiking, etc (like the Helena South Hills - close proximity to urban areas, and not significant wildlife values) would make a lot of sense, as would issuing access fees specific for trail maintenance & upkeep of trust lands in order to fullfill the constitutional obligations.

Employing LWCF to help increase access to public lands in the same vein that RMEF & others do also helps create new opportunities on public lands, rather than fighting over the same slice of pie.

It comes down to increased population and decreased meaningful access. Wilderness should not have mechanized or motorized, except in case of extreme emergencies, as allowed by the law. I can point to some wilderness areas in the west and the east where allowing mountain bikes would essentially eliminate the habitat security provided by the respite from wheeled recreation that many species desire. But at the same level, we have ignored the maintenance needs for trails Nationally, and we ignore the trails out our own back doors. Some states are reinvesting in this arena (MT for example). Making trail maintenance & equitable access top priorities in recreational budgets at the local, state and federal levels is how you achieve your goals here. Not forcing conflict between groups where you really don't need it.

The biggest impediment to getting into hunting is access to lands close to where you live. That same thing is in play with every type of recreation, and we see that in the massive influx of people to more and more limited trail heads, etc.

If we really want to have it all, and we can, we need to stop arguing over who gets the slice of pie, and bake some more pies.

Now I really want pie. Way to go, HT.

I dk maybe we think about shifting wilderness around, remove the designation from some areas or shrink them... expand others?
I think this is completely reasonable. Let's be honest, if you can see houses a couple hundred yards from a wilderness boundary, it likely isn't a place with true wilderness value.

That said, this is IMO the right (and harder way) to achieve this rather than simply open up an existing wilderness area to bikes.

Personally I'm 100% against this bill, but I think the conversation about resource planning is important. All this was created decades ago, say knowing what you know now you could redraw all the boundaries, rewrite all the provisions.

What could you do to maximize habitat, herds, protect spaces, and yet at the same time still provide recreation access.
Agree. Actually anything with LEE and conservation / environment - I'm likely opposed. I do hold the position, if it's not been expressed well enough ( ;) ) I believe the wilderness act was never designed to exempt personal powered access. I believe the "purity test" plays a factor... Especially considering the mass exodus of urbanites to suburbia and it's outskirts, the eventual influx of mountain cyclists will become an even louder voice. I believe now is the time to evaluate in a meaningful manner to moderate all human powered means of access for our amazing wilderness. Select trails, times for use (as is already a pattern for in/outbound horse pack trains at certain trailheads, maximum speed... who knows. One can knit-pick as if I've laid out an entire plan for the access opportunities however, all we are is, Dust in the wind"... haha! We all know hoards of details involved.

Anyhow - my two coppers on the subject. :)

1. Hikers and horse back riders push for front range wilderness areas to protect the areas they love close to home.
2. Youtube
3. Everyone buys a 29er full suspension carbon mountain bike
4. Everyone move to the front range.
5. Mt bikers are pissed they don't have trails close to home.
6. Mt bikers act like spoiled kindergarteners and want to take away wilderness areas from hikers and horse back riders, to make it "fair".

If you can afford a $5-15k mountain bike, you can pony up some money to purchase some foothills property for your trails. You can petition your government to open access. You can do lots of things to help solve the issue that doesn't involve changes to wilderness act.

All the problems that have been presented could have been, or could still be, solved by conservationists willing to sacrifice a few epic days in the mountain for some time raising money, lobbying congress (or state legislators), participating in planning efforts, etc.

Agree. Actually anything with LEE and conservation / environment - I'm likely opposed. I do hold the position, if it's not been expressed well enough ( ;) ) I believe the wilderness act was never designed to exempt personal powered access. I believe the "purity test" plays a factor... Especially considering the mass exodus of urbanites to suburbia and it's outskirts, the eventual influx of mountain cyclists will become an even louder voice. I believe now is the time to evaluate in a meaningful manner to moderate all human powered means of access for our amazing wilderness. Select trails, times for use (as is already a pattern for in/outbound horse pack trains at certain trailheads, maximum speed... who knows. One can knit-pick as if I've laid out an entire plan for the access opportunities however, all we are is, Dust in the wind"... haha! We all know hoards of details involved.

Charles,

Can you point specifically in the Wilderness Act that leads you to believe this? I'm not sure I agree here but I'm happy to look at where in the Wilderness Act you think this would fall.

I'm guessing Lee has never been leading a string of horses up a steep trail at dusk only to have a silent down hill mtn bike come flying down the trail trying to stop and sliding on its side under said horses.
El rodao extravagancia!
Biker dude has a bike to collect. "Sorry man"
Equestrian has 6 loose horses and a camp strung out in 3 directions.

Some things don't go together
My favorite experience was when I was riding drag with several horses in front, on my draft mule, Clyde, who disliked anything that came up behind him. We had a biker come in behind us and I offered to get the critters off the trail and let him by at the next place the trail got wide enough (maybe 300 yards ahead). The rider said no he was going to take a break and sent us on. about 10 minutes later he showed up again, I made the same offer he just said he would take a break, the third time he came around a bend and almost run up Clyde's ass, Clyde double barreled the front of the bike leaving it a tangled mess. much yelling ensued then we rode on. I found out from a friend who owned a shop in town who said the bike was pretty much totaled with a bent frame, twisted front forks. Gotta love mules!

All of this talk of compromising...there was a time for that, it was 1964 and wilderness advocates did a metric shit-ton of compromising to get the tiny slice they did.

I'm not one bit interested in compromising on wilderness areas again. I don't care how close the front range wilderness areas are to Denver. I don't care if you have to drive somewhere else to ride your bike.

Find a different hobby, buy a pair of hiking boots instead of a bike, deal with it.

See post #3. It reads very black and white to me.

All of this talk of compromising...there was a time for that, it was 1964 and wilderness advocates did a metric shit-ton of compromising to get the tiny slice they did.

I'm not one bit interested in compromising on wilderness areas again. I don't care how close the front range wilderness areas are to Denver. I don't care if you have to drive somewhere else to ride your bike.

Find a different hobby, buy a pair of hiking boots instead of a bike, deal with it.

I'm of the same mindset. No need to reduce wilderness at all. In fact, we should be expanding it across the US where it meets the mark. Likewise, we should be looking at how we manage the suite of public lands across the US from local parks to national forests in terms of the recreation boom occurring.

8.35 million acres of landlocked public land in the Western US means a Yellowstone sized chunk of ground we all pay taxes on, but can't use. Securing access to those lands, as well as the millions of acres of state land would help ensure spreading folks out, while maintaining quality landscapes for all.

edit to add the OnX/TRCP report: https://www.onxmaps.com/landlocked-...nered with,granted by a neighboring landowner.

I'm of the same mindset. No need to reduce wilderness at all. In fact, we should be expanding it across the US where it meets the mark. Likewise, we should be looking at how we manage the suite of public lands across the US from local parks to national forests in terms of the recreation boom occurring.

8.35 million acres of landlocked public land in the Western US means a Yellowstone sized chunk of ground we all pay taxes on, but can't use. Securing access to those lands, as well as the millions of acres of state land would help ensure spreading folks out, while maintaining quality landscapes for all.
Totally agree...and it seems that every single damn time I hear the phrase, "you have to compromise"...its me giving up something, the opposition? Taking with both hands and giving up NOTHING.

Where's the thread about taking a bunch of mechanized and motorized access areas and asking them to give up some of those areas for wilderness in the name of compromise?

Yeah...crickets...as per usual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back