Rumor has it!!!!! Idaho deer was shot.

IdahoBugler

Rumor has it wilecoyote shot a deer today. Congrats buddy and post a pic when you can. His brother also found an unbelievable trophy rack. To bad it wasn't found a few years earlier.

congrats wile, and we want photos and stories, again after hearing your dissapointment last year in 39, I'm glad you connected.

Congrats wile, now lets see it. This is turning into a pretty good year at HT.

WTF ? I wasn't called..... :D

Let's hear about it Pard !!! On a side note, did anyone see the Statesman today. Talked about yesterday being the opener and there was a picture with a guy that had a (Barely) forked horn in his truck and a 1/2 page about the hunting and the road he drove to find it and saw 70-80 other trucks... Then had a Statement from him "Admitting" that he didn't even scout for the deer. Really ? To road hunt and Shoot a forked horn you ddon't ned to scout ? It was kind of funny :p

Yeah I saw it too. I thought the same thing. Out of 70-80 trucks you would think they could have found a better buck to take a picture of.

What would have been crazy is if he was like... "YAh, I stalked that deer for 2 weeks prior to the hunt. Every mornnig I drove that road and there it was, right next to it's mom. 2 days prior to the hunt we had thought we lost it and it moved.. but after further driving we found out that it just walked around the corner to the next bend in the road......."

I'm not making fun of the fact that he shot a 1x2 or anything. Heck, he could have shot a doe. It's ALL good. Hunting is hunting.... but the Story jsut seemed a little goofy to promote opening of Deer season... didn't it ??!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/180979.html

Hunter finds success on opening day
Idahoans seeking game head into the wilderness as temperatures drop.

Matt Schlake of Nampa shot a buck on opening day of deer season Wednesday and said he was getting home in time to catch his daughter’s volleyball game.

Matt Schlake bucked the odds Wednesday on the opening day of the general deer-hunting season across southern Idaho.
He left town around 6 a.m. drove about 50 miles up a dirt road along the Middle Fork of the Boise River toward Atlanta, got his deer by 10 a.m., and was back in town by 3 p.m. for his daughter's volleyball game.

Not all of the 124,400 Idaho hunters with deer tags will be that lucky as the hunting season continues in the coming weeks.

A little more than 16 percent of the hunters who hunted in the Boise Mountains last year bagged a deer.

"I only have one day off a week and it's a Wednesday," Schlake, said. "I had to make it count."

Schlake wasn't alone in the woods. He saw between 70 and 80 rigs on the drive along the Middle Fork of the Boise River Road.

"I had to get away from everybody," he said.

It paid off. He found a quiet spot and hiked to the top of a ridge.

"A buck and three does came walking down the draw right across from me," he said. "They stopped and looked in my direction. I had my shot."

How many more hunters took advantage of opening day was not clear Wednesday evening.

No figures on deer hunting were available from Idaho Department of Fish and Game's regional offices in Nampa and McCall.

Results from the agency's hunter check stations will not be available until after the weekend.

However, Cassie Malcom, a waitress at Trudy's Kitchen in Idaho City, said there were a lot of hunters out.

"We have been very busy," she said. "Everyone I've talked with has seen a lot of game but they haven't had much luck."

It also has been busy in the Council area.

"We've seen quite a few hunters but haven't heard of too much luck," said Lenna Paradis of the Seven Devils Cafe in Council.

The number of hunters is expected to increase for the weekend when more of them have days off from work.

Hunters may have to contend with a drastic change in the weather.

Wednesday morning was mild with temperatures ranging in the 60s. But a storm front moved across the state Wednesday afternoon.

Snow was expected overnight between 7,000 and 8,000 feet in the McCall and Stanley areas. Another storm is in the forecast for the weekend.

Overnight temperatures in the mountains are expected to range from the high 20s to the low 30s for the weekend.

It was raining in the Council area, Paradis said Wednesday evening.

Schlake was glad he got out the backcountry in time. He got to Boise just as it started raining.

Schlake admits he was lucky.

He usually hunts in the Sagehen area north of Ola, but decided to try the area northeast of Boise.

"I didn't scout," he said. "It was a hunch."

< 17% of the hunters bagged a deer last year......

Well, I will make this quick since I have limited internet access. Yes, I lucked out and shot a dink Idaho buck. It is a baby compared to the deer my youngest brother found a short distance away. I will get the story out later but it was a simple drag (no not road hunted either, I just got lucky and dropped it on the top of a ridge).

Here is a pic of my buck and the big non-typical my younger brother found. Yeah, mine is the dinker at 29"!

Again, I will get more pictures out later. Sorry for the delay......

Attachments

• IMG_1968_1.JPG
    IMG_1968_1.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_1969_1.JPG
    IMG_1969_1.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1972_1.JPG
    IMG_1972_1.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 368
Congratulations on the buck, Wile. Too bad you didn't find the NT a few years earlier!

Nice Wile...that find by your brother is fuggin WILD! He gonna let IB work his majic mud on it and give it back some color??

Great buck for you and a sweet find by your brother! Any idea on the score of that thing?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back