Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ruined a kid’s hunt

What kind of parent takes his kid after those inedible prairie rodents when there are perfectly tastey deer to be hunted in the youth season.
I am as much for killing my own dog food as the next guy, but I wouldn’t do it when I could be taking my kid after some worthwhile game.

If something ever happened and the kid shot and got busted, who gets the punishment here?

I would hope the dad would take a heavier hit as he’s “mentoring” the kid.

What kind of parent takes his kid after those inedible prairie rodents when there are perfectly tastey deer to be hunted in the youth season.
I am as much for killing my own dog food as the next guy, but I wouldn’t do it when I could be taking my kid after some worthwhile game.
You obviously have never eaten an antelope that spent it's life in farm country. mtmuley

Hell,if it was a NM youth tag the kid would be sitting in the cab,in the middle, bundled with the heater going and the bed would have 6 relatives with rifles.......lol

If something ever happened and the kid shot and got busted, who gets the punishment here?

I would hope the dad would take a heavier hit as he’s “mentoring” the kid.
I remember years ago a kid being cited for shooting a moose from the back of a pickup his father was driving. If memory serves, either pictures or video surfaced, and FWP investigated. mtmuley

I remember years ago a kid being cited for shooting a moose from the back of a pickup his father was driving. If memory serves, either pictures or video surfaced, and FWP investigated. mtmuley

Ha! I grew up with that kid. He actually got busted because the Missoulian interviewed him, and in the hunt play by play they straight up said what happened.

Looks like they edited the original article, but here's the follow up-

That’s what all antelope apologists say,but you forgot a few..... ‘you didn’t get it on ice fast enough’
’you didn’t cook it right’
Just got back from a trip where we killed six of them. only iced them for the trip home. Hope they are ok. mtmuley

like, like, like, like..................

#teachemyoungtoshootfromthetruckexpendingminimalamountofenergywhilelearningnothingabouthunting
👎

Sorry to bust your balls on it Onpoint, I do get where you're coming from, but that comment struck a nerve with me.

I'm chronically ill, but I'm not sure most people would know that by looking at me. Sometimes I feel great and am able to go on some pretty cool alpine hunts and backpacking trips. Most of the time I feel like shit, and the most I'm able to get out of my hunts are driving around on logging roads glassing from my rig, if I'm able to drag myself out of the house at all. I'm sure people often look at me with my nice optics and fancy gear and laugh at how lazy I am for not doing it the "right way".

Point is, you don't know that kid or his dad's story (at least from your recap of it). Who knows what's going on with them. Maybe the kid's sick. Maybe they come from a broken home and that's the first day they were able to spend together in weeks, and they enjoyed sitting and catching up. The good thing is they're at least out there, spending time together.

*Sorry to hijack your thread Miller. Well done on the learning lesson for the guys you bumped in to.

Last edited:
Sorry to bust your balls on it Onpoint, I do get where you're coming from, but that comment struck a nerve with me.

I'm chronically ill, but I'm not sure most people would know that by looking at me. Sometimes I feel great and am able to go on some pretty cool alpine hunts and backpacking trips. Most of the time I feel like shit, and the most I'm able to get out of my hunts are driving around on logging roads glassing from my rig, if I'm able to drag myself out of the house at all. I'm sure people often look at me with my nice optics and fancy gear and laugh at how lazy I am for not doing it the "right way".

Point is, you don't know that kid or his dad's story (at least from your recap of it). Who knows what's going on with them. Maybe the kid's sick. Maybe they come from a broken home and that's the first day they were able to spend together in weeks, and they enjoyed sitting and catching up. The good thing is they're at least out there, spending time together.

*Sorry to hijack your thread Miller. Well done on the learning lesson for the guys you bumped in to.

Kids also tend to wear out faster and don't tolerate cool weather as long, so (not knowing more details) I could see a case where the kid in @onpoint 's story really did just need to hang out at the truck to rest/warm up.

Quick question...Don't folks take their kids out BEFORE they are old enough to pack a gun? Way back in the 80's I remember struggling to keep up with Dad for about 6 years before I took hunter safety. Now Granted...Most of those hunts were day hunts, and our season was in the end of summer. By the time I was hunting, I knew where dad had killed bucks and the only difference was I was the one shooting.

It always floors me when the first time some poor kid gets into the outdoors, they are expected to pack a gun SAFELY and traipse all over country they have never seen before. It's asking for a miserable kid...

Kids also tend to wear out faster and don't tolerate cool weather as long, so (not knowing more details) I could see a case where the kid in @onpoint 's story really did just need to hang out at the truck to rest/warm up.

That’s what I was thinking, if the kid was young, the dad was probably just trying to warm em up for a bit

Quick question...Don't folks take their kids out BEFORE they are old enough to pack a gun? Way back in the 80's I remember struggling to keep up with Dad for about 6 years before I took hunter safety. Now Granted...Most of those hunts were day hunts, and our season was in the end of summer. By the time I was hunting, I knew where dad had killed bucks and the only difference was I was the one shooting.

It always floors me when the first time some poor kid gets into the outdoors, they are expected to pack a gun SAFELY and traipse all over country they have never seen before. It's asking for a miserable kid...
My son started antelope hunting and camping at the old abandoned "owl barn" with me when he was six. First it was throwing rocks at rabbits, then shooting the BB gun, then the 22 cal rifle, but always hiking, hunting, then back to the pickup for lunch and a nap. Once while I thought he was napping the belly crawl stalk began. Finally within shooting distance of the antelope, suddenly they bolted. Sure enough the nap was over and Jeff was out throwing rocks at a rabbit, chasing across the field ... and running off my antelope. I just had to laugh. Often he got wet, cold, and tired; so the warm-up in the pickup was needed.

BTW, Jeff is out with his son (my grandson) today hunting mule deer during the youth deer hunt. 'Wish I was there.

Al Gore's www is a funny thing.
Those on here who assume I made a lot of assumptions before I posted what I did, also assume I would have posted what I did without knowing - for a fact - that what I posted wasn't based on assumption(s).
Having worked with and for hunters (of all ages) for a lotta' years, I have maybe a little idea of what's going on when I see it. And I call it as I see it.
I could have wrote a book on the encounter, but (foolishly) assumed that people on a forum dedicated to DIY hunters would understand my point, taken in the context of the original post.

I saw a young kid with a few old farts this morning, heading out behind some dogs to look for roosters. The kid looked happy and excited as hell to be (out of school?😄) in the field with his older partners and their dogs. Made me smile. Kid was gettin' after it........

Harley, check my above (2'nd) sentence structure to make sure it is correct.:LOL:

Lots to criticize about the MT “youth hunt” and many hunters.

This year was the last youth hunt my daughter was qualified to participate in due to her age. I always have looked forward to those hunts more than any other. Awesome places, wildlife and people. Great experiences for kids whether they are destined to be a “hunter” or not. Enjoyed sitting in the truck with them often.

Just a quick question regarding the mobile ground blind - it’s illegal with a rifle, what about with archery? Asking for a friend..

In Wyoming, turning in a poacher that results in an arrest and conviction carries a pretty nice reward. If you do turn in a poacher in Wyoming, you should call their poaching hotline and ask about the reward part.

The pops telling the kid to stop and get back inside the rig once the OP started filming is a pretty good indicator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back