Ruined a kid’s hunt

I think the rest of us who are experienced hunters can help by showing less tolerance to poachers and unethical hunters by not turning a blind eye to it and doing the right thing. I have turned in poachers more than once. Including one that carried a dead cow elk in the back of his pickup for days leaving it in the box while his pickup was parked at the workplace.

Was it a trophy class doe?
Probably just a B&C Awards doe. Just like the 20 others they were likely to see just a few miles down the road where a they could easily be killed legally and closer. If I hadn't been in my work vehicle, I likely would have turned around to tell them this....with a few other opinions.

At least dad wasn't promoting illegal activity from the middle of the county road.Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 11.38.49 AM.png

Last edited:
Just a quick question regarding the mobile ground blind - it’s illegal with a rifle, what about with archery? Asking for a friend..

The mobile ground bind is of limited value when archery hunting. Usually a high speed stock followed by a break peddle to the floor stop is required to get the archer into effective archery range. Getting a good shot off after squeezing all the blood out of your hands holding on during the high speed stock and then removing your face from the back window after the skidding stop is something even the most experienced have difficulty mastering.

Pursuing game in any kind of vehicle is illegal in Colorado and in Wyoming. I will not pretend to know other states on that. A mobile ground blind would then be illegal unless you left it completely stationary and don't attempt to use it on a vehicle and attempt at all to pursue wild game with it. I use temporary blinds myself, but I set them up near a water or feed source and spend sometimes all day in one. Stationary blinds do work but you have to be very patient and have a book or something to kill the boredom. I had a haystack blind that failed me because it was too cramped so moving to a new one I will be buying for next year.

Road hunting seems to be a primary means of locating game most places out west.

Just to clarify, the kid above would have been legal had he rested his rifle on a fence post, correct?

LOL shooting is then illegal if that is on private property then Most of them signs are put up by locals and not law enforcement. Any question on that, call law enforcement because if you are on a county road, they are not allowed to post signs on the road itself without permission of the county. Major problem is some parts of the state.

LOL shooting is then illegal if that is on private property then Most of them signs are put up by locals and not law enforcement. Any question on that, call law enforcement because if you are on a county road, they are not allowed to post signs on the road itself without permission of the county. Major problem is some parts of the state.

My next mobIle ground blind is gonna be a Montana Decoy black Angus cow. walk right up to antelope I bet. mtmuley

My next mobIle ground blind is gonna be a Montana Decoy black Angus cow. walk right up to antelope I bet. mtmuley

My grandpa used to use a cow cut out back in the 60's hunting antelope, from the stories it worked quite well with a 2 man team.

The mobile ground bind is of limited value when archery hunting. Usually a high speed stock followed by a break peddle to the floor stop is required to get the archer into effective archery range. Getting a good shot off after squeezing all the blood out of your hands holding on during the high speed stock and then removing your face from the back window after the skidding stop is something even the most experienced have difficulty mastering.
Best I ever saw was in WY. A ranchero (remember those?) with an angled spring style tractor seat mounted with bolts to the bed and a crossbow hunter- bolt loaded- riding down a forest road "hunting" both sides, but I was OK with it as they gave me a ride 5 miles back to my truck, but I have always regretted not getting a pic, it was a classic.

Best I ever saw was in WY. A ranchero (remember those?) with an angled spring style tractor seat mounted with bolts to the bed and a crossbow hunter- bolt loaded- riding down a forest road "hunting" both sides, but I was OK with it as they gave me a ride 5 miles back to my truck, but I have always regretted not getting a pic, it was a classic.

Awesome, did he ride all the way from Texas like that?...think Chris Farley

Last edited:
That's what known as the "V8 Sneak"

Mobile ground blind is well hidden hunter (in back of truck) slowly moving toward unwary "roaded up" critters. Driver stops the blind, hunter takes aim and shoots. It's very common in Texas.
dscn3033.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back