Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Roseau siblings kill two massive bull elk during first days of Minnesota season

Not sure what is more amazing.
The odds of them both drawing a tag or that neither knew how to take a good field photo of an elk.

I wonder how easy they are to call in with such light hunting pressure?

KY and PA were referenced in his post areas with no wolves...MN obviously is different story. Folks up there must love them to keep so many around.
What's not to love? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I heard somewhere recently that there are only 500+ elk in Minnesota with a goal of around 2000. Big bulls are basically just skimming a little cream off the top of the herd, probably more to maintain public support than anything else.

I'd much rather see more moose than any elk.

What's not to love? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I heard somewhere recently that there are only 500+ elk in Minnesota with a goal of around 2000. Big bulls are basically just skimming a little cream off the top of the herd, probably more to maintain public support than anything else.

I'd much rather see more moose than any elk.

I'd be surprised if there are 500 but could be. I'm with you on the moose. I saw one last fall while grouse hunting. It had been 5 or 6 years since I'd seen one.

The "folks" that love them have moslty only seen pictures of them and have seen them in zoos. I think they're awesome animals. But MN needs about 80% less than they have.
Agreed. Highest population next to Alaska. We have wolves in half of our state. AK has wolves in like 85% of the state.

I'd be surprised if there are 500 but could be. I'm with you on the moose. I saw one last fall while grouse hunting. It had been 5 or 6 years since I'd seen one.
Found a dead one last years and 2 live ones. But I'm well east of you.

The "folks" that love them have moslty only seen pictures of them and have seen them in zoos. I think they're awesome animals. But MN needs about 80% less than they have.
I've got zero problems with them and I grew up with them.

Exactly this. They live very low stress lives. A bull elk in Montana might move a mile or more easily in a day just by a hunter bumping him. Out east, the same hunter bumping the bull results in him going 400 yards.
The bull Gary shot was caught on trail cam 18 miles away not long before the season opened. With the number of wolves up in that country and being one of the coldest states in the country i wouldn't call it low stress.

And you don't live with them now.
Trauma seems less significant over time. They're certainly wreaking havoc on the deer populations. 10-11 years ago we had a pack move in to our area. Deer got wiped out hard and it was rare to see a deer while deer hunting. I had a pack of 8 lay down and rest one evening when I was bowhunting at like the age of like 14 or 15, they were only 60 yards away. It was an interesting experience!

All relative. I'd consider NW MN farm country low stress compared to scratching out a living in the northern rockys. The calorie availability to daily calorie expenditure seems much more favorable.

I know there are wolves in NW MN but was always of the impression that they were not as prevalent as further east and got shot/trapped a bunch more due to depredation issues.

Trauma seems less significant over time. They're certainly wreaking havoc on the deer populations. 10-11 years ago we had a pack move in to our area. Deer got wiped out hard and it was rare to see a deer while deer hunting. I had a pack of 8 lay down and rest one evening when I was bowhunting at like the age of like 14 or 15, they were only 60 yards away. It was an interesting experience!

I've seen them almost every year I hunt in MN. There are plenty, ask the moose. lol

Between the 5 of us that hunt in WI, we'll generally see one or two over the course of 9 days. I hear them a lot more than I see them in WI. I'll say I've only seen more than one at a time in WI on 1 occasion.

Behind a paywall, but another big one. Eating too many sugar beets.

Unreal.

For any of you that don't know Minnesota cut the number of elks tags given this year because starting last year under resolution 139-2020 the Red lake Tribal council enacted the use & protection of the treaty rights of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians under the Old Treaty crossing Treaty signed October 2nd 1863. Last year they gave away 5 tags and from what i was told they did not harvest any.

However, this year they gave out 30 tags. If you go to "Red Lake Conservation Law Enforcement" on Facebook you can see some of the bulls they have already harvested this year. Some of which have come from the zone 10 (grygla/gatzke heard) which has been closed for MN residents since 2013 because the population was well below goals.

I feel like chance for MN residents to draw are on the decline because the DNR is going to continue to reduce resident tags as a result of the increase harvest from the Red Lake Nation tribal members. In my opinion it won't be that long and the elk season will resemble the moose season, closed for all MN residents (outside of a few Landowner Elk tags) but open to the MN tribal nations.

For any of you that don't know Minnesota cut the number of elks tags given this year because starting last year under resolution 139-2020 the Red lake Tribal council enacted the use & protection of the treaty rights of the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians under the Old Treaty crossing Treaty signed October 2nd 1863. Last year they gave away 5 tags and from what i was told they did not harvest any.

However, this year they gave out 30 tags. If you go to "Red Lake Conservation Law Enforcement" on Facebook you can see some of the bulls they have already harvested this year. Some of which have come from the zone 10 (grygla/gatzke heard) which has been closed for MN residents since 2013 because the population was well below goals.

I feel like chance for MN residents to draw are on the decline because the DNR is going to continue to reduce resident tags as a result of the increase harvest from the Red Lake Nation tribal members. In my opinion it won't be that long and the elk season will resemble the moose season, closed for all MN residents (outside of a few Landowner Elk tags) but open to the MN tribal nations.
So how much $$$ did the tribes contribute towards reintroduction of MN elk? I don't know why I bother asking questions like that when I know the answer.

Back