MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Roseau siblings kill two massive bull elk during first days of Minnesota season

Not to pick nits or throw stones, but why do these reintroduced elk herds always produce bulls that look like they were grown inside a high fence? What’s the deal with that? A lot of those big bulls from KY or PA look like something that just got done stuffing its face at a Texas protein feeder. That bull pictured is super weird. What’s the science behind this?

Not to pick nits or throw stones, but why do these reintroduced elk herds always produce bulls that look like they were grown inside a high fence? What’s the deal with that? A lot of those big bulls from KY or PA look like something that just got done stuffing its face at a Texas protein feeder. That bull pictured is super weird. What’s the science behind this?
Old age, not fighting for food, not fighting eachother as much, corn, wheat, soy beans, alfalfa, mild winters, etc... they live in pure luxury!

Old age, not fighting for food, not fighting eachother as much, corn, wheat, soy beans, alfalfa, mild winters, etc... they live in pure luxury!
Exactly this. They live very low stress lives. A bull elk in Montana might move a mile or more easily in a day just by a hunter bumping him. Out east, the same hunter bumping the bull results in him going 400 yards.

You should see some of the bulls killed in ND this year.

There's no mild winters here, believe me. Coldest I've had is -59, two mornings in a row. That's actual temp, not wind-chill.
Cold isn’t usually an issue for elk. There are extremes of course. The primary winter killer is snow depths leading to lack of food. That’s why much of the wests populations got rocked this last year.

It makes me think of Iowa farmed white tails. I believe I posted about this last year. Donnie Cooney is a part-time taxidermist out of Butte. He mounted a monster whitetail last year. The guy killed it over a feeder in Iowa. The dude paid a chunk to shoot the buck. It, and apparently all the others, damage their tine tips from feeding under the feeders. They‘re all pumped full of ”roids”essentially. I wonder if this is what’s happening? Are the elk finding their way to these feeders? Hmmmm….

There has been a small population of elk in MN for a very long time. There are also Canadian refugees sneaking across the border.

Not to pick nits or throw stones, but why do these reintroduced elk herds always produce bulls that look like they were grown inside a high fence? What’s the deal with that? A lot of those big bulls from KY or PA look like something that just got done stuffing its face at a Texas protein feeder. That bull pictured is super weird. What’s the science behind this
What other folks have said good feed. Green up is earlier and stays around later in the east plus waaay less snow pack..no G bears or wolves. Tags are also very limited so if you do draw your probably holding out and not shooting a raghorn. WV and NC are great examples both have had elk for over a decade still no hunts. There is gaint bull with a couple dozen cows that hangs out in the meadow by the Oconaluftee Visitors center right off 441 coming south out the Smokeys...most days it causes a traffic jam.

A few years back I almost hit an elk in Roseau late one night driving back from Montana bird hunting. It was well within the city limits. A cow. Sure surprised me.

Those antlers definitely look more like Manitoba elk. I wonder if Minnesota did the smart thing and planted those instead of Rocky Mountain variety. It has long been suspected the last herd of "eastern elk" wiped out in MN during early 20th century may have been Manitoba elk. For whatever reason that totally escapes logic, the Ontario MNR decided to get Rocky Mountain instead of Manitoba elk for their restocking program near Sudbury.

Those antlers definitely look more like Manitoba elk. I wonder if Minnesota did the smart thing and planted those instead of Rocky Mountain variety. It has long been suspected the last herd of "eastern elk" wiped out in MN during early 20th century may have been Manitoba elk. For whatever reason that totally escapes logic, the Ontario MNR decided to get Rocky Mountain instead of Manitoba elk for their restocking program near Sudbury.
I know the Caribou-Vita herd migrates back and forth across the Manitoba-Minnesota border. Makes sense to me that they’d be Manitoba elk.

What other folks have said good feed. Green up is earlier and stays around later in the east plus waaay less snow pack..no G bears or wolves. Tags are also very limited so if you do draw your probably holding out and not shooting a raghorn. WV and NC are great examples both have had elk for over a decade still no hunts. There is gaint bull with a couple dozen cows that hangs out in the meadow by the Oconaluftee Visitors center right off 441 coming south out the Smokeys...most days it causes a traffic jam.

No wolves…that’s cute. 😂

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back