Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Roseau siblings kill two massive bull elk during first days of Minnesota season

So how much $$$ did the tribes contribute towards reintroduction of MN elk? I don't know why I bother asking questions like that when I know the answer.

It's more complicated than a single re-intro effort. Funny part is the legislature directed all the pesky elk be rounded up and dumped on the res at one point.

In 1985, farmers from the Grygla area successfully lobbied the legislature to mandate that the state relocate all the elk. Hence, came to be the ill-fated elk “roundup” forced upon the state by the legislature. Only nine elk were captured and relocated to land within the Red Lake Nation before a lawsuit filed by the Sierra Club stopped the roundup.

Two years later the legislature passed legislation to compensate landowners for crop damage and to limit the herd to only 20 to 30 animals. Periodic hunts would be held to cull the herd as its size expanded. The first-ever modern Minnesota elk hunt was held in 1987.

Edit to add: now in regards to the new NE MN desired re-intro for the Fond Du Lac band there:
1695921357008.png

Last edited:
What i don't understand is why it seems all the bulls in Wisconsin never seem to get huge like other Midwest states

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back