Yeti GOBOX Collection

ROOSEVELT BULLS in the PACIFIC OCEAN!!!!!

Little Big Man MT Chris

I just got this picture from a buddy , I did not take it so I didn’t want to include it in my Roosevelt adventure thread but wanted to post it separately , I’ve seen people mention it before how cool would be to see elk in or with the ocean in the background that has finally been captured for all to enjoy, it’s Garabaldi Oregon

What a great picture. That is something I would definitely be late for wherever I was going, just to watch

That is awesome. There is a place in puget sound where the elk would also go down to the water and it actually was public land that you could hunt. A guy figured this out and killed a bull. There is ALOT more to that story but I will leave it at that. Thanks for posting.

Theoretically if they swam out to an island in international waters and re-populated, would they be the only wild elk herd outside of the US and Canada? Are there any wild herds in Mexico?

Theoretically if they swam out to an island in international waters and re-populated, would they be the only wild elk herd outside of the US and Canada? Are there any wild herds in Mexico?
We have a wild herd here in NZ. The elk are from WY I believe.

I once read they go in the ocean to kill fleas. I don't know if that's true or not. They probably just like the water.

Here is a 10 minute video I think from nearby...

Possibly the other side off Tillamook bay , but who knows 75 percent of the Oregon Coast looks like that , the spit across the bay from where these elk were , is always covered in elk tracks , I took my brother for a hike there in January, I was hoping to see some elk on the hike , but the brush is 7ft high , u could walk past a herd at 30 yds and not see them , Garabaldi is an hour and 20 minutes from my place , where this pic was taken, I’ve driven by that spot 100 times over the years , jealous I’ve never seen elk out there , although the elk have to cross US Highway 101 twice to get out there , I was also surprised that the elk were that comfortable with letting the tide get up to their knees before they decided to get off the flats and head back across the highway at sunrise , always something new to learn about elk , here is the satellite photo of Garibaldi at low tide and the bay and where I believe those elk were based on the location of the photo , I put an arrow towards the docks in the background behind where those elk were Standing , Usually that whole bay is underwater unless it’s a pretty low tide , I’m not surprised that elk were out there at low tide in the dark an night , just was surprised they waited that long to come back across the highway

Last edited:
Since almost all of you are not familiar with the Oregon coast , here is an overview pic of what I was talking about in relation th the video , that long spit in green which is now a state park there used to be a city out there it got washed away like in the late 40s or 50s and now it’s just hiking trails and forest but the elk come off the mountain and then run up and down along that long spit and that’s possibly where that video was taken, And you can see the town of Garibaldi to the east of that spit where those elk were today

Last edited:
Very cool! I lived in Portland a few years used to duck hunt a bay right at mouth of the Columbia (Ft Stevens) ....saw couple nice black tail bucks fighting by the beach one morning and lots of elk tracks but never actually saw the elk down there. Thanks for sharing that pic.

My family spent last week camping near Manzanita just north of Garabaldi. We were driving out one day, and Spotted a young Bull standing in the middle of a side road. Drove up and watched it for a bit, then started noticing a few others in the brush. That was my first Rosie encounter. It was pretty darn cool. That Oregon coast is something else.

Back