River Rafting---loss of caribou--women complain more---favorite food--N.Z. Huntress

Boykins are cool. Good friend of mine has two. Funnier than shit to watch them try to run with Finn, but they’re great hunters.

Panda,
Sounds like a great dog. Good in a canoe is important and I have had some that were superb that way, some not so much. Most of mine in recent decades have not gotten much canoe time like the others that came before them, so that probably matters a lot. Now I just wish I could keep him from skunks.

I'm pulling for you in the sled races too! If you are going to do that, I am definitely going to pay more attention. I would love to dog sled once or twice.

Yup, there are whole days where I don't want to talk to or see anyone other than my dog.

wllm1313,
I am impressed that your Corgi can go like that! Really impressed. Such short legs! I have underestimated them.

Gus will be wearing his orange tomorrow. We will be after pheasants somewhere. Just gotta figure out where.

I'll post a video when I get back from St. Paul Island. Here's a video from last year on Adak Island. I've also done Cold Bay AK.

Glass eye, I remember this! Maybe a different video, but gunning sea ducks out of a kayak, is something one does not forget.

Are those sea ducks as tasty as a teal? I can't believe you can do that now though. We are icing up down here. I would think Adak would be far, far colder. Our ducks have been here and gone mostly. I'm looking for the few slow pokes that are left, but pheasants are where it's at really.

Do any of you enjoy river rafting ?

What wild game is most often found in your freezer ?

Is anyone else offended by her actions in the video ?

The caribou statement and my disagreeing with it always being women who complain when on the ice or in the mountains, were just statements on my part, but if you disagree with one or both , feel free to say so

Yes. Did some for fun growing up. The upper Rogue in Southern Oregon, the Flathead in Montana, the Gunnison in Colorado are some of my favorites.

Always have antelope, deer and birds in the freezer. Elk quite a bit.

Not offended by the video. People post stupid stuff all the time. Whatever.

I work outdoors, and have heard plenty of men bitch and moan about the bugs, the wind, the heat, the cold, the terrain, whatever. Whiners come in all genders. I don’t have patience with any of them.

Heck ya! Rafting is a blast. A 7 day trip down the Salmon is on my wife and I's bucket list.

Elk, deer, chuckar, quail, duck/goose if the neighbor is feeling generous.

I'm not necessarily offended by the video, I grew up in a family of contractors... better develop thick skin quickly, or you'll be butt hurt ALL the time. That doesn't mean I don't think the video is stupid, because it is. I mostly have a "not my pig, not my farm" attitude... the NZ lady can be as big of an idiot as she wants, just like I can believe she's an idiot all I want.

Even though it's true my wife complains much more than I do in the woods, she survived 36 hours of labor and squeezed a 9lb baby out her hoo-hoo, so she's WAY tougher than I am.

Brent :love: He will never help me win the Iditarod or Yukon Quest. But I am slowly putting together dogs that, I hope, will help me do that. however the little guy has many traits that work well, at least for me. He is very quiet in a canoe , plane, sled---he is easy to pull back into a canoe--he is a good blood trail dog--he is a good "distraction" dog, when needed, he is an excellent early warning threat dog, plus of course he hunts and retrieves birds on land and in water. It has been close a few times for him, bear, moose, bison, crane, but so far so good.

How many here at one time or another has preferred the company of their dog to their wife or husband -you do not need to answer if he/she reads the forum o_O

o.k. time for me to get some work done

Good to see you are writing over here, always enjoyed your perspective.

Good to see you are writing over here, always enjoyed your perspective.

Guys and Gals, if you want a successful and fun guided fishing trip in Alaska, this is your man! Salmonchaser also gets to play "keep the brown bears away from my clients" game each year. He is on a first name basis with some of those big brownies. AND, he bird hunts, elk hunts, and love dogs. He even understands that the 30-06 is at its best when using a 180 gr bullet. ;)

noharleyyet, a man of few words but they are lethal :)

thanks Brent and Dave. Dave sent you a pm with the location's

hunting wife. I have never eaten antelope, is it close to ( taste wise ) deer, elk, moose, caribou, or ? thank you

Used to raft the American&Kern rivers. Slow trips on the Salinas in tubes. Canoed all over the Sierras & many coastal bays. Hunting & fishing included.

Elk is what is usually in freezer now.

Amused more than offended. I see the Sitka Divas all the time around here during hunting season.....both sexes,LOL.

Grew up with 4 sisters and hunt alone. Heard more whining on one trip with guys hunting, than taking 4 sisters & their little kids fishing Sierra streams. I had re-baiting & baby rocking duties before the fish feast...they wore me out.

hunting wife. I have never eaten antelope, is it close to ( taste wise ) deer, elk, moose, caribou, or ? thank you

Caribou is at the top of my bucket list to hunt, but I have never tasted it. I love antelope and to me it has a more complex flavor than anything else I’ve tried. I can’t think of anything that tastes quite like it.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back