Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rifle for 11 year old daughter

dunns7

Anyone have a recommendation for a petite 11 year old girl? She shoots the 22 well but I'm taking her on her first deer hunt this fall and I'm looking at a .243. I'm typically more of a bow guy so I'm not the most knowledgeable on youth rifles. She also has a younger brother that will also likely be using this rifle in the future.

Thanks!

My son is younger, but I'm in the same boat. Right now, for me, the Ruger American is leading. Since his will have to be a 243, I'm leaning towards getting a standard model and buying the compact stock (~$70). The 4" longer barrel should cut down on muzzle blast some. If it wasn't for our silly rifle laws for hunting here in Indiana requiring a 243 he would be getting a 223. In that chambering I wouldn't worry about the 18" barrel of the compact as much.

My son is younger, but I'm in the same boat. Right now, for me, the Ruger American is leading.

Can't go wrong with the Ruger American, especially for the price. I have one in 223 and 7mm-08. Neither approved for deer in IN, but great to shoot anyway.

I started my youngest son and some of my grandchildren with the 7mm08 as it will work on elk also, my son shot his first cow elk with the 7mm08 when he was 10 and killed his first 6 point bull elk at 11 , buy the youth model

I would recommend the RA in 7-08. Kids can handle the recoil and it has a bit more punch than the .243. Nothing wrong with a .243, but no reason not to get a little more for the same money.

I looked into this last year for my son. I borrowed a Ruger American and it shot fine, but it just felt "cheap" to me. I didn't like the squishy trigger either. I found a .243 Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 youth on sale for $100 more than the RA, and it is way more solid. The youth model has a short stock for small people, but also includes an extension you can install if they get bigger. That was a good thing since he had a growth spurt before hunting season and the short stock was too small.

Last edited:
A slightly different idea would be an H&R or Rossi .44 mag. Recoil similar or less than a .243, deadly on anything deer sized out to 150 yards.

I like the .243 Ruger idea as well, if she'll be shooting longer distances.

Last edited:
I plan to be in the same boat next year and agree that the RA in 7mm08 looks good, even for elk. And man are those Indiana rifle rules are stupid. Nothing allowed between .243 and .300?

I agree with RobG. I won a RA in a raffle in 7mm08 and just didn't like it as well as the savage model 11 I already had in the same caliber, it just felt cheap. I traded it for a ruger sr45 and my boy was mad at me. In order to get my gun back I had to buy him one I bought a savage axis II. It is very accurate and functions just like my model 11. I got it at bps during the fall hunting classic and gave $299 with $50 mail in rebate, IMHO worth every penny. I don't think that the recoil would be to much as they are a light recoil rifle and have a very good recoil pad from the factory. Just my 2 cents. The scope was not the best but for a little more money they offered a better scope, I just thought for the kids right now it would be sufficient. I also have a Remington 770 in .243 good enough caliber hate the gun I would advise not to get one of them, even though they are also cheap, price wise that is just what they are is cheap. Accurate but cheap.

x2 on the savage.I bought my boys a savage youth model 243 years ago and its a great gun.IMO, savage makes a great gun for the money.I don't know much about 7mm08,but think I'll look into that caliber for my youngest son.Couple more years and he'll be coming out west with me,and his older brother.Need a rifle he'll be comfortable shooting

Savage makes a great rifle I bought a youth model for my girlfriend who comes in at 5 ft2 and 95 lbs. she handles the 243 just fine I would also suggest a Thopson center it's a single shot but barrels are easy to come by. I don't know anything about Indiana gun laws but I'd also suggest a lever action in 357 or 30-30

My child split the cost of a 243 axis ll with me. It does feel like it is made of Tupperware, but I'll be damned if the thing don't shoot. 90 gr and under seem to be what it likes, with a preference for 85s. For the record he started shooting it when he was 4 foot 8 and 78 lbs. I think it came with a certificate for some money off a full size stock. I'm betting we walked out the door under 400 dollars with a weaver kaspa scope. Don't discout that, it's got pretty good eye relief, I think it's the only scope in the safe my wife can see through.

My child split the cost of a 243 axis ll with me. It does feel like it is made of Tupperware, but I'll be damned if the thing don't shoot. 90 gr and under seem to be what it likes, with a preference for 85s. For the record he started shooting it when he was 4 foot 8 and 78 lbs. I think it came with a certificate for some money off a full size stock. I'm betting we walked out the door under 400 dollars with a weaver kaspa scope. Don't discout that, it's got pretty good eye relief, I think it's the only scope in the safe my wife can see through.

I put a Boyd's gun stock underneath my axis I and combined with a new trigger spring it is smooth and deadly. The stock with a limb saver for my .270 was less than $100. I'd recommend looking into it.

Big sky, I understand the boyds stock route, but there is something to be said about a scoped rifle under 7 lbs. Especially when the person carrying it up the mountain weighs less than 90. He also preferred the rifle with the accutrigger, so we ended up with an axis ll.

Might take a look at Remington Model Seven compact, available in both .243 win and 7mm-08. As mentioned above, Tikka T3 is really hard to beat for the money. I'm helping a buddies 11 year old daughter get ready for her first rifle season this fall. We're working with her at the range with both .22LR and a .223 bolt action (Tikka) right now to develop shooting skills and avoid recoil sensitivity. We'll step her up to a .243 next, then into a .270 with reduced recoil hand loads for a cow hunt this fall. It's not just recoil sensitivity with kids. The increase in muzzle blast and report from any centerfire cartridge is significant over a .22 and can be intimidating to kids.

http://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-seven/model-seven-compact-synthetic

I bought an Abolt in 25-06 with a muzzle break for my fiance (so obviously older than your daughter) but she's pretty short armed, so recoil is something of a worry for her, and she handles it like there's nothing to it, and it puts a wallop on the handful of deer she's killed with it already.

weve got a bunch of youth rifle options! also our mini actions are gaining popularity in the youth/female crowd. lightweight, easy to manipulate. well be getting the new versions in 6.5 grendel soon!

The other thing to consider, is that you don't need to be shooting, say, a 100 grain partition at a max load for a .243 to work.

I loaded up some 75 grains nosler solid base last year for my nephew in a .243...starting load of H380. MV was around 2900 and the recoil was very mild. That's still more than enough to kill deer sized (or bigger) game at reasonable ranges.

Use the range of bullet weights to your advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back