Caribou Gear Tarp

Returned from my Hawaii Vacation.

IdahoBugler

I just returned from Hawaii on Thursday and I'm already missing it big time. I'm already planning on my next trip and what I'd like to hunt. The main reason the family and I headed down was because my cousin Moeari'i was graduating highschool from the Hawaii Prepratory Acadamy. They throw a huge luau in celebration so the family decided we would go down and help out all we could. I also decided to throw my bow in just in case I could get out. I was able to make it out 4 different days either in the morning or afternoon hunts. The hunting was awesome and I had a blast doing it.

The goats are fun to hunt and are pretty cool looking. They were way more skittish then I thought they would be but when you have hundreds of animals to look at your odds go up big time. The area we hunted was pretty open but had a lot of rolling hills and gullies for the goats to hide in. Almost all the goats I shot where found in these depressions where I was then able to make a stalk on them.

Pic of one of the first billies I stalked.
GoatBrownLive.jpg

These two billies were head banging for a good 10 minutes. The one on the left has real good length.
GoatsFighting.jpg

This billy was with 3 others. I was able to get within 40 yards but never got a clean shot before they busted us.
GoatClose.jpg

We hunted another part of the island that had a lot more trees but the ground was full of lava rock and way noise. I was able to get within 60 yards of these goats but they busted me and took off over the hill. When I got up to where they were and glassed the area they ran into I saw probably 300 goats walking up the other side. Packed as tight as sardines heading up the mountain. I wish I would of taken a picture because it was amazing how many there were.
HerdGoatsPointa.jpg

The goats rub there horns so much that they pretty much kill any trees the live by. Here is some of the damage they iniflict on trees.
Goattreedamage.jpg

Here is the first goat I shot. These guys are tough!! I shot him through both shoulders and he walked a good 200 yards before bedding down. I watched him for a good hour thinking he was goign to die fast but he never did. I ended up stalking him and putting another arrow into him to finish him off.
Goat1.jpg

Cousin Ron and I with 1st goat.
Goat1RonMe.jpg

Here is the blood trail to my 2nd goat. I stalked a herd of about 30 goats and was in the middle of the herd for a good 30 minutes before a nanny came up and busted me. I was waiting for a real big black billy but he never got closer then 65 yards. I had to shoot this guy before the herd took off.
Goat3bloodtrail.jpg

Goat3.jpg

3rd goat I shot. Almost a twin the the first one.
Goat2.jpg

On the day I was scheduled to leave I decided to take out my cousins rifle to take a big billy. The hunting was tougher that day and I didn't see as many as I had been. I did end up taking a real good goat with 23" horns. I didn't know he was busted off on the other side until I walked up to him.
Goat4Front.jpg

Goat4Side.jpg

I did get to go pig hunting one evening. The first area we went to was tough because of how thick it was. We saw probably 4-5 pigs and heard numerous others but it was tough getting opportunities with a bow.
PigCountry.jpg

Mac nut tree with some pig damage.
PigDamageTree.jpg

The second area we went to was more open and made it easier to get close to pigs. We found a herd of 2 pigs and I was able to take a small 50lber.
PigChicoMe.jpg

The trip was fun and the next time I go I'm going to spend some time hunting some of the sheep on the island. I'll also try and upgrade my pig that I shot also.

Awesome pics IDB! Next time you're going to have to stuff me in my bowcase and take me along...

Corey

Congrats and very cool pics.

Question: What island were you on and what steps/costs did you have to take to hunt there? I'm leaving for Kauai on Thursday for a week and hadn't really thought about doing anything other then some fishing. But taking a goat with my bow would be awesome too.

IDB, Next Feb then ? Although the wife was planning to go to tahiti, I talekd her into Kona instead. Tell Yer wife and let her know we're gonig for a cast and blast ;)

Thanks guys for the compliments, it was a blast. The hunting was done on the big island of Hawaii.

Moosie - game on but I think you mean cast and fling. A lot of the hunting is archery only up there. I will talk with my cousins about getting to go fishing. I was offered to go but it was slow and I didn't want to waste a full day fishing if the bite wasn't on. The guy I was going to go with is a big time diver and said we could go shoot all kinds of fish if I wanted to. I just simply ran out of time. Next time I want to plan on 4-5 full days of hunting.

Looks like a kick ass time! Congrats IB. I'm going for my 30th b-day in November this year (depending on wether or not I pull any late season tags). My cousin and I are going to do some back packing/fishing.

That looks like a hoot!! And I'm sure the wife could find something to do as well.... :D

I have a fraternity brother from Hawaii, who was also my pledge father. Him, his father, and brother have been interviewed on ESPN for competing against each other at Nationals in Sumo Wrestling. He had a tribal (I guess that's right) tattoo with the triangles similar to your cousin on his right arm. He even taught a bunch of others in our house a slap dance which they would perform for faculty at your Fiji Island party. It was pretty amazing how intense he and the other Hawaiian in the house would get doing the dance. Their culture definitely meant alot to them.

Diving added to the mix and I'm in !!!! Cast and FLING ?!?!? OK, Whatever.... you had me at fishing and diving......

Back