Rep. Clyde Introduces Legislation to Eliminate the Excise Tax on Firearms and Ammunition

I’d join the circus, but I’m too busy writing a letter requesting legislation to exempt myself from gas taxes when I’m driving to the polls.

I thought democrats just mailed in your ballots ?
I’m not sure if this is supposed to be funny? What happens if you vote for both? So you mail in a ballot for Democrats and then drive to the polls for the Republicans?

While I’m at it, I’m going to petition to have gas taxes repealed for every trip I make where in exercise my 1st amendment rights.

I think the biggest joke here is that someone actually believes that firearms and ammunition manufacturers would reduce their prices with the repeal of PR instead of packing their pockets to appease stockholders.
Listen if there is one thing that the pandemic/ last 2 years have taught us, it's that American's have zero understanding of economics.

My buddy Travis interviewed him about the bill recently.

https://castandblastfl.com/2022/07/18/227-congressman-andrew-clyde/

If anyone is interested
I think he makes some really good points. My biggest concern is that if this become law that the funding sources get diverted or severely lessened. After being in state government for 20 years I have seen this happen many times with a change of those in power for their political gain or agenda (and it cuts both ways). Hate to mess with success but I believe his second amendment position has some validity.

I think he makes some really good points. My biggest concern is that if this become law that the funding sources get diverted or severely lessened. After being in state government for 20 years I have seen this happen many times with a change of those in power for their political gain or agenda (and it cuts both ways). Hate to mess with success but I believe his second amendment position has some validity.
I don't think he makes a single good point. This bill is just all around a terrible idea.

I don't think he makes a single good point. This bill is just all around a terrible idea.
The points I was referring to were with the 2nd amendment vulnerability to the legal argument he put forward. Poll taxes around the right to vote have been struck down, which may be a similar issue.

Nothing stopping the anti's from filing a suit with that same argument in a back handed attempt to shut hunting and gun ownership down. Think there may be some vulnerability there.

I'm not in favor of the proposal in its current form.

The points I was referring to were with the 2nd amendment vulnerability to the legal argument he put forward. Poll taxes around the right to vote have been struck down, which may be a similar issue.
It'd be more like if there was an excise tax on the manufacturing of voting machines paid by the corporations profiting off their purchase and use. Then taking that tax money and diligently requiring it be spent be spent on noble causes, frequently auditing the means and manners of which it is spent, and legal blocks against misuse. PR is an easy win for gun owners and manufacturers. The shortsightedness of this is astounding...

On the topic of anti-hunters/anti-gun; doesn't it sound better to say "We voluntarily support the North American System of Wildlife Conservation to the tune of $1.5 billion a year" than to say "We circled the wagons and depleted the funding of all 50 states wildlife management agencies for spite". Which one of these seems more likely to get a knee jerk reaction from a non-gun owner?

It'd be more like if there was an excise tax on the manufacturing of voting machines paid by the corporations profiting off their purchase and use. Then taking that tax money and diligently requiring it be spent be spent on noble causes, frequently auditing the means and manners of which it is spent, and legal blocks against misuse. PR is an easy win for gun owners and manufacturers. The shortsightedness of this is astounding...

On the topic of anti-hunters/anti-gun; doesn't it sound better to say "We voluntarily support the North American System of Wildlife Conservation to the tune of $1.5 billion a year" than to say "We circled the wagons and depleted the funding of all 50 states wildlife management agencies for spite". Which one of these seems more likely to get a knee jerk reaction from a non-gun owner?

We tax books, advertising, etc. All constitutionally protected free speech. But it's the purchase & consumption thereof that is taxed, not the right itself.

The right to own a firearm, if ever proposed for a tax, shall be met with strong opposition and rightly so.

Nothing stopping the anti's from filing a suit with that same argument in a back handed attempt to shut hunting and gun ownership down. Think there may be some vulnerability there.

I'm not in favor of the proposal in its current form.

His argument makes no sense... so PR which has been around for 100 years should be removed, because potentially a different/ totally different law, which is also a tax could be enacted, if republicans lose a bunch of seats in the senate, and the house( which they are expected to take back), that wouldn't be challenged and lose in the supreme court, which the republicans control?

or... that you know economics, and he owns a gun shop and if you get rid of PR that's more money in his pocket personally.

Vote for ass hats get ass hat laws.

It was a very good interview. Although I’m not sure I agree the congressman made good points. This is out of the basic political playbook- try to sell people on the possibility of their fears coming true, and propose a new plan. So a solution looking for a problem. The congressman disregards that there is already process in this country to ensure constitutional rights remain available to all. As a basic summary, he is proposing eliminating a 100yr old plan that has worked incredibly well and supported by the vast majority of people paying the tax and replacing it with a new, weakly defined plan based on some fear. This is why you get so many against.

I’m thinking this invented as a fabricated problem. Come campaign time, certain legislators will then claim in public grievances that they tried to protect 2A rights from undue taxation. Does the tail wag the dog?
This was this gist of my letter to Rep. Fulcher. After I called him out for saying in a constituent email that Rep Beyer's bill would end P-R and D-J as we know it. He then bragged that he was working with Rep Clyde to protect gun rights with The RETURN Act. I told him it was one of the most egregious sleight of hands I had ever seen in a political email.

That rather than he and Rep Beyer floating hopeless bills in order to build cred with their tribe, they should try some actual leadership.

Last edited:
Imagine if legislators had to pay a fee for failed legislation or had to distribute the money they receive from special interest groups and PAC’s to some type of public interest
Fulcher would give his to Texans Utahns For A Tax Free 2A

Last edited:
Womp womp

Texas may have the most guns, but not per capita. You lone star boys are falling down on the job w/only 28 per cap. Wyoming's doing it right.

Is that why the NRA moved to Texas? If they don't pay the excise tax, there will be more money for the Wayne LaPierre sartorial fund.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back