Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Remington Arms Settles with Sandy Hook Victims

This is Remington - identifying that jury pools are TAINTED nowadays due to extremes... The potential jury award would be much more damning than a settlement that likely says they are not admitting guilt, etc...

The problem with tainted jury pools in our modern social media setting... ugly setting. Jury members have two choices (well three)
1. find fault of a company - walk out writing books and have backs patted by emotionally driven organizations sucking up $$$ and people praising jurors or....
2. No fault and they become targets themselves - Americans haunted at their house, their children at schools, work concerns over adverse media... all for what? doing their service.

Easy option vs life time of hell. Juries of today are not what they were during paper print days.

Sad.

This is Remington - identifying that jury pools are TAINTED nowadays due to extremes... The potential jury award would be much more damning than a settlement that likely says they are not admitting guilt, etc...

The problem with tainted jury pools in our modern social media setting... ugly setting. Jury members have two choices (well three)
1. find fault of a company - walk out writing books and have backs patted by emotionally driven organizations sucking up $$$ and people praising jurors or....
2. No fault and they become targets themselves - Americans haunted at their house, their children at schools, work concerns over adverse media... all for what? doing their service.

Easy option vs life time of hell. Juries of today are not what they were during paper print days.

Sad.
Wasn't it Remington's insurers? What am I missing Charles?

According to Koskoff's law firm, Remington's four insurers have all agreed to pay the full amount of coverage available, which is the $73 million total. The gun-maker filed for bankruptcy in 2020, and its assets were sold off.

There was another settlement today that likely contains no mention of guilt etc. Prince Andrew, friend of Jeff Epstein, settled his case today.

The lack of admission of guilt is largely irrelevant. The public has more or less reached their own conclusions.

According to Koskoff's law firm, Remington's four insurers have all agreed to pay the full amount of coverage available, which is the $73 million total. The gun-maker filed for bankruptcy in 2020, and its assets were sold off.
Wonder why the insurers would agree to pay their full limits without some type of ruling. I understand there are court costs, but $73 mil is a lot to voluntarily fork over.

Wonder why the insurers would agree to pay their full limits without some type of ruling. I understand there are court costs, but $73 mil is a lot to voluntarily fork over.
It wasn't voluntary. They considered their options and rendered a judgement. They likely decided they might be on the hook for much more than what they agreed to pay.

Last edited:
I hope this was a rhetorical question. They took a big picture look at it, weighed the pros and cons, and they decided had they not settled, they were likely looking at a far bigger amount they were going to be paying out.

I hope this was a rhetorical question. They took a big picture look at it, weighed the pros and cons, and they decided had they not settled, they were likely looking at a far bigger amount they were going to be paying out.
I understand what they did. Just wondering out loud, why. There is no precedent for and a pretty well established statute against.

The public has more or less reached their own conclusions.
This here - is the perfect example of why jury pools are tainted when it comes to national emotional issues, IMO - of course.
"The public" in today's social media world, is whom the jury pool finds selection...
Ken, IMO, underwriting insurance companies Liberty, James River, Chubb, and Swiss likely underwrite for other firearm manufacturers. Your guess is as good as mine. I think for sake of publicity, the use of Remington appeals to a much wider crowd than naming the insurance companies.

I understand what they did. Just wondering out loud, why. There is no precedent for and a pretty well established statute against.
It's a settlement, not a jury award. This settlement does not state guilt. Thus, it keeps the PLCAA in tact for another fight, another day.

HOWEVER, one focus of the complainants was access to all discovery based exec communications, etc from the defunct Remington Arms company. THIS likely possesses much more emotionally damning information available for use in other suits and makes the settlement a pretty big win. Probably makes John Gruden a saint - from an emotional standpoint.

"Thousands of pages of internal Remington company documents can also now be made public, according to Koskoff's law firm." This should be an interesting fact finding treasure trove. I have to assume they wanted these destroyed as part of the settlement, but took what they could get.

This here - is the perfect example of why jury pools are tainted when it comes to national emotional issues, IMO - of course.
"The public" in today's social media world, is whom the jury pool finds selection...

Each side in a case does its best to eliminate jurors if they can detect a mindset detrimental to their side of the case.

Also to win a judgement you need the entire jury to agree. The defense in a liability case only needs one stubborn juror.

So if I put a Chevy in the bed of my Ford and drive it up a rock pile and destroy it, can I sue for how ford was marketed?

Business is a game of price / cost (literally as a controller for a manufacturing company I hear price/cost mentioned daily)

Insurance will take the hit then raise premiums on firearms companies, who will pass it on to consumers (with margin, if they can get it)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back