Remember to Hydrate

WyoDoug

Here is one of my pet peeves, especially after me and a buddy had to fabricate a litter out of 2 inch saplings and a tarp. How many of you actually carry water when you hunt or go hiking? I am not talking about them sippy cups or sports glasses with fancy straws, I am talking about actual water. Several years before I moved to Wyoming, we were hunting Gore Creek campgrounds vicinity not far from Kremling. Temperature was not that hot, in the 60s. One thing I noticed in the group I was camped with is only my hunting buddy and I were packing water. Sure enough someone in our group started passing out. We had no service in that area and it would of taken a good hour to get off the hills and back to the pickup. We fabricated a litter and carried him back to the pickup and then took him to camp where we had service and called 911 from there. It was faster for us to move him off the hill and call someone than to hike where we had service and then have to hike back. Turns out he was severely dehydrated and we were in cool to cold environment.

I am retired military. Every time my platoon went out on a march or exercise of anytime, I always made them drink a container of water and then refill their canteens before we started. I am a fanatic on proper hydration and if I see someone tepid, I always offer them water even if I think they have their own or suggest they drink some water. But many hunters especially those that hunt in pickups or stay close to a road often do not carry any water. Soda and anything else don't count in proper hydration.

But how many of you do not carry any water when you leave camp?

Last edited:
Always have more than I think I need, hunting, hiking, fishing, golfing.

Used to be a soccer referee where running for 6 hours on a 90 degree soccer field was a normal weekend day. Also done tournaments where several 90+ days in a row was the norm. "Standard" was to start hydrating a week before and don't stop. Never had to ask so many teens if they've peed lately! Not pissing, start drinking

2l bladder is always full and I carry a Sawyer filter but haven't ever had to use it. I struggled with proper hydration as a kid and had heat stroke a couple times. I'm pretty careful about it now.

I struggled with proper hydration once I retired, lost my discipline. I hate, hate tap water and ended up with kidney stones bad that resulted in a lathroscopic surgery followed by ultrasound waves to blow it up so I now drink bottled water. I found water I like and drink between 3 and 4 16 oz bottles of water a day. When I am in the heat or physically active, I drink 6-8 bottles a day.

Im big on drinking lots of water all day and when im hunting out west alway fill water bladders every time im near water
worst thing you can do is not drink enough dry air pulls it out of you or it seems

I’ve always got at least 2L in the pack when I leave camp/the truck. Most times it’s closer to 4L, 3L in the bladder and another liter in bottles for Mtn house and coffee

My son and I learned our lesson on not carrying enough water. We were archery hunting in the NV Ruby's in late Aug. Chilly morning temps and we each had only 2 half liter bottles of water. After about 6 hours of hunting in those steep mountains we headed back down. By the time I got to the bottom of the draw I had a raging headache, was sweating like mad and nausea. I finished the last of my water except for a few ounces I saved for my son, I knew he would be out of water. I laid under a bush to get some shade while he came down. The feeling was terrible, never again.
He was most definitely out of water and also had a terrible headache. He said he had been out for several hours.
That was the first and last time we did not carry enough water. We both now carry 2ltr bladders and extra half liter bottles.

My son and I learned our lesson on not carrying enough water. We were archery hunting in the NV Ruby's in late Aug. Chilly morning temps and we each had only 2 half liter bottles of water. After about 6 hours of hunting in those steep mountains we headed back down. By the time I got to the bottom of the draw I had a raging headache, was sweating like mad and nausea. I finished the last of my water except for a few ounces I saved for my son, I knew he would be out of water. I laid under a bush to get some shade while he came down. The feeling was terrible, never again.
He was most definitely out of water and also had a terrible headache. He said he had been out for several hours.
That was the first and last time we did not carry enough water. We both now carry 2ltr bladders and extra half liter bottles.
Failing to hydrate also puts you at risk for hypothermia when the temps are low even if you are dressed for it.

I always bring a water bladder but I'm horrible at remembering to drink water and often pay for it when I get home. I get too busy looking around while hiking and thinking, even though the straw is right in front of me. I'm still trying to break that habit.
I bring a water filter all the time now as well.

Got dehydrated once while hunting bear in Arizona, their season starts early August. Never hurt so bad. Took two hours of contant alternating water and Gatorade recommended by an EMT in camp with us. Cuased my hunt to be over early. I may be in not so great shape, but I hydrate now! Always carry a 3L bladder and keep plenty of bottles in truck.

Got dehydrated once while hunting bear in Arizona, their season starts early August. Never hurt so bad. Took two hours of contant alternating water and Gatorade recommended by an EMT in camp with us. Cuased my hunt to be over early. I may be in not so great shape, but I hydrate now! Always carry a 3L bladder and keep plenty of bottles in truck.
Gatorade replaces some of your electrolytes but does not hydrate properly.

I always carry a bunch of water. Usually a 2L or 3L bladder and an extra bottle just in case. I've found that spending a week in a tent with a wood stove really dries me out if I'm not careful.

I got two 2L bags I keep in my pack and 6 five gallon plastic containers that I keep at camp with one always in the pickup. I also buy my favorite Dasani water, a couple cases that I keep at camp in coolers on ice. That is what I put in bladders. I figure if I use water I like I drink more.

The best way to carry water is in your own body. Specifically, by drinking water the night (or better entire day/night) before.
I am going to disagree with your comment in general. You should always drink at least 8 oz of water with each meal. That assists with digestion and a host of issues with your body especially when you are active. You should drink at least 8 oz of water before you go to bed, when you get up and before you go out on your hunt and a total, at least 6-8 eight oz glasses a day in intervals spread out over the whole day. Simply drinking water at night or the night before is insufficient. If you go too long between water consumption, you are going to get dehydrated because you are going to urinate and sweat, passing it out of your body. If you notice, animals drink water several times a day. That is the best way to do it.

If you attempt to consume your "quota" of water all at once in a day, that is going to cause more harm than good. Excess water will be passed into your blood stream and into your stomach and then small intestine fairly quickly. Then it eventually is process into your blood and through your kidneys and into your bladder.

Drinking too much water all at once can also be dangerous. Overhydration can lead to water intoxication. This occurs when the amount of salt and other electrolytes in your body become too diluted. Hyponatremia is a condition in which sodium (salt) levels become dangerously low. This can make you pass out and/or be vulnerable to strokes and other issues just as much as dehydration can.

It's funny because when I was in the military our platoon sergeant made us do the same damn thing before we started our day, drink our canteens empty, refill it and go about our day. I still practice this today. I also learned, if your from a low elevation area, like the east coast, and come out west for hunting, you need to double your water intake while out on the mountains. First time I went out to Wyoming, while hunting the Beartooths, I sucked down every drop in my 3L water bladder, plus the extra 1L bottle I had in short order, I stopped at every stream and filtered and refilled all day, but just couldn't keep up with the proper amount of hydration I needed for that first day. But I learned fast and adjusted for it, and the rest of the hunt went a lot smoother!

I only drink water & coffee...lol, lots.
Always have water with me & carry 2L bladder & filter in my daypack. Always have a 1L canteen in truck,a FS one in bed.
Drink a glass of water to start the day & one before I go to bed.
Stay hydrated!

Reactions: LCH
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back