Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Reloading question

chuckyd313

Im looking at getting into reloading. It will just be a single stage set up as a hobbie to keep me out of my wifes hair during the off season. How many of you out there do your own reloading for hunting purposes? Im going to be starting out loading .308. What would you suggest for powder weight and bullet weight to be most effective for elk and deer?

Your rifle is going to tell which powder/bullet it likes. The 308 isn't too fussy luckily. A good starting point would include Win 748, Win 760, BLC2, or IMR 4064. A good 165 or 180 gr bullet will drop anything AZ has to offer.

I tried for years to find the 'best' load for my Rem 600 308, but could never beat Plain Jane Winchester 180grSP's from WallyMart. 2575fps, 3/4" groups out of a 18 1/2 " barrel ! Had fun trying though.

A lot of options for the 308, my brother had good success with Barnes TTSX in 165 and 168 grain and H4350, Varget, and RL17 and I think IMR4064. At the end of the day, lot's of options with bullets in the 150-175 range, find what your gun likes and go from there.

Every gun will be different, but I've had real good luck with Varget - good luck with shooting results, but terrible luck lately finding Varget. Good luck, in its own way reloading can be enjoyable & satisfying.

If you want max velocity, try a 150 Barnes TSX or TTSX and Alliant MR-2000.

Another good bullet for elk is the 168gr Ballistic Tip with either Varget or RL-15.

Of course, Partitions and Accubonds are good in either 150 or 165 grains. Even the good ol Hornady 165 Interlock FB is a great .308 bullet.

Lots of options out there for that cartridge.

I'd start w/ the 155 scenar, but that's matter of what you need it to do. Pick your bullet based on what you want it to do, how much you're going to shoot (read: cost) and go from there.

I favor Hodgdon powders, as they are generally most temperature stable among peers. If it were me I'd start with Varget. Good luck, have fun, and don't trust three shot groups.

In my findings BL-C(2), Varget, IMR 4064, and RL-15 all tend to be very accurate powders in a .308.

RL-17 and MR-2000 intrigue me with the .308. You "Should" be able to wring out a few extra FPS accurately with heavy slugs using these powders. Get a good medium to medium fast rifle powder that you can find and work from there.

WiIth a .308 Right now, powder availability will be the biggest issue with making an accurate load. Get what you can, and something will work out!

RL-17 is a great powder for short, stubby cases. But I'd use a heavier bullet in a .308 with such a slow burning powder - like a 180 grn interbond or accubond.

RL 15, Varget, 4895 are all great powders for mid-range burners and lighter bullets (150 grains) and I'd not pass up 4350 for 165 grain bullets or heavier either.

Remember that it's a .308, not a 300 WM. I would put accuracy ahead of velocity. A 165 grain bullet at 2700 FPS is no slouch when it comes to putting an elk on the ground. Hammers deer too.

I use a 165 gr. Sierra Jacketed Soft Point, over 43 gr. of IMR 4064. Has worked pretty well out of my Howa.

I have wondered about the need to step up to a 180 gr. bullet for elk? Can't hunt deer with a rifle here, so no need for a dual purpose load (and I mostly bow hunt for deer anyway), but have an elk hunt planned for 3rd or 4th rifle in CO.

Last edited:
I went to sportsmans and found the Blc-2 and IMR 4064. So i bought one of each. Ill get the projectiles next week. Like the Barnes and Hornady.

IMR 4064 is a very good powder. I use Varget and IMR4895. 45 grains of Varget under a Hornady 165 Interlock shoots well out of my short .308 at 2650 fps. 44 grains of IMR 4895 gives virtually the same velocity and accuracy. Reloder 15 is another very good .308 powder.

I like Varget, RL15, 4064 and the 168 grain tsx's or even 180 grain accubonds.

I have never tried RL17 but wouldn't hesitate to try it out either. Varget is my go-to 308 powder.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back