Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Reloading for a beginner.

Where are you getting mag primers shipped for $10 a hundred? Or rl15 for 45 a lb? I did miss the 2 different bullets on your list. I picked up my ammo right from the store. I started reloading a long time ago With everything I have purchased over the years and time spent trying to get a hunting rifle to shoot better has really been a waste. Maybe it's because of the rifles I bought? Who knows. I know my 308 will shoot anything sub moa, my 300 wm loves federal fusion. The 260 Remington shoots the barnes I got in the deal no problem.
I bought a brick of primers a whole back for $110 shipped. I also had a brick I paid $35 for. So, new prices would be about $12/100.

I bought an 8 pound jug of RL16 for $275, shipped pre-pandemic. I’ve seen it as high as $50 per pound. When it’s gone I’ll probably go to H4350 as it seems a little more economical.

My parents don’t own a gun store, so going off what is in stock locally, there ain’t shit. I’d be ordering everything and trying to save on shipping.

It’s funny you are making comps based on wholesale, but accusing others of dishonesty.

Edit: I did a quick search on Ammo seek. Most basic loads are $1.80-2.50 per round, plus shipping which will add close to a buck a round. Higher end hunting loads were starting at $2.50 per round and up, plus shipping.

If the your premise is you cannot buy a new reloading setup and save money loading your own, I could maybe agree with you. However, that doesn’t take into consideration the cost of trying different ammo for your gun to see what it likes. If you buy a used setup, or partner with someone else you absolutely can save money. Especially if you don’t have a family in, which I’m not jealous of but it sure makes your argument bullshit.

Peace out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a brick of primers a whole back for $110 shipped. I also had a brick I paid $35 for. So, new prices would be about $12/100.

I bought an 8 pound jug of RL16 for $275, shipped pre-pandemic. I’ve seen it as high as $50 per pound. When it’s gone I’ll probably go to H4350 as it seems a little more economical.

My parents don’t own a gun store, so going off what is in stock locally, there ain’t shit. I’d be ordering everything and trying to save on shipping.

It’s funny you are making comps based on wholesale, but accusing others of dishonesty.
$52 a box isn't wholesale that's retail. I was using retail price on everything. Wholesale on primers are $60 a thousand for cci standard and $62 a thousand for cci mag primers. I'm saying that the cost to benefit isn't really worth it for most people. Factory ammo is way better than it use to be. I still load some ammo to use the bullets I want. 140 gn berger elite hunter in my 6.5 prc is one. I shoot it to 750 yards and that's only because that's the longest rang around here. But for 300 and under most factory ammo will do that no problem.

Not accusing of dishonesty. Accusing you of looking for an argument while hijacking thread.
Maybe go back to where I said the only reason to really reload is to use the bullet you want. It's not going to save you money. I didn't start the argument and that's not hijacking the thread. It's being honest. I can't help it a few don't like the truth and want to jump on me. PS it says for a beginner. That means they have to buy everything at the price it is today not what it was 3 years ago.

I agree that with some cartridges factory is right there in price with handloads. Try feeding a RUM with factory ammunition. mtmuley
I agree with you there. Also if you are using any of the Weatherby cartridges. Over $4 a round for the RUM and that's for corlokt. Weatherby is even more. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting one of those unless they reload.

Maybe go back to where I said the only reason to really reload is to use the bullet you want. It's not going to save you money. I didn't start the argument and that's not hijacking the thread. It's being honest. I can't help it a few don't like the truth and want to jump on me. PS it says for a beginner. That means they have to buy everything at the price it is today not what it was 3 years ago.
Yammer yammer yammer, blah blah blah.

And what's your point? One thing I see is how you, Redmt, and backofbeyond seem to like each others lack of maturity a lot.
Mostly because you haven't brought any useful information to this thread. Just took a dump on it without facts or knowledge. No immaturity just amused by your blathering.. Hey though you be you....👍

Looking at starting to reload. One, what would be the minimum in equipment that I would need and two, what reloading manual/manuals would you suggest? Also, what are the gains for reloading your own ammo? I'm retired and have the time, so I don't need a elaborate setup. Also I know that reloading has been discussed alot, but not finding exactly what I'm looking for.
Hey, just curious what you landed on equipment and reloading-manual wise?

Don’t think I saw much discussion on the manuals, are there any out there that folks have found to be particularly good for hunting cartridges and hunting type loads that they can recommend?

Mostly because you haven't brought any useful information to this thread. Just took a dump on it without facts or knowledge. No immaturity just amused by your blathering.. Hey though you be you....👍
No facts or knowledge? I guess you just read what you want. I'm not going to go back over it.
Oh boy! Let's start childish name calling.
No that would have been you
Free use of a basement should be factored into his equation.
Someone just wants a pissing contest. You can't win an argument with an idiot. They will beat you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Do I have a lot into my reloading set up? Maybe, really could care less what my investment was back when I bought it. It has long since paid for itself. I have yet to search for a box of ammo for any of my rifles. I just load more and go to the range. There are enough components around that as long as I’m not picky and paying attention to when stuff is posted for sale, I will have enough to reload for the next 3-4 years.

Back