Reloading for a beginner.

Something I didn't mention about my trickler, it is an RCBS. But my original trickler was a tea spoon! Friend of mine, more frugal than me but longer into reloading taught me to use it to save on the cost of a trickler! Saved me about four bucks in those days, I'm forever indebted!

+1 for a balance scale. Mine is an Ohaus brand, which if I understand is the OEM for the RCBS-brand balance scales.

BUT as with anything in the world of precision, consistent technique is vital. You can easily load inconsistent ammo with a balance scale if your technique is inconsistent.

About the only reason to reload anymore is just to be able to use the bullets you want. I went out and shot up a bunch of factory ammo today. Hornady 300 prc precision hunter. Es was a whopping 48 and that was 8 rounds. It's not easy getting that reloading. All the $$$ you'll spend getting different equipment just to reach that level you could have bought more factory ammo than you'll ever shoot.

About the only reason to reload anymore is just to be able to use the bullets you want. I went out and shot up a bunch of factory ammo today. Hornady 300 prc precision hunter. Es was a whopping 48 and that was 8 rounds. It's not easy getting that reloading. All the $$$ you'll spend getting different equipment just to reach that level you could have bought more factory ammo than you'll ever shoot.
I disagree, but to each his own. mtmuley

I got the Hornady Lock N load press because it’s an O-press that’s set at 45 degrees to be able to easily access the due/primer tools.

The Redding big boss 2 is similar.

I’ve been buying rcbs match maker dies because it has a window for dropping bullets into the die and aligns them to the case for you. Frankfort arsenal makes a kit that’s the cost a single RCBS die and covers all the calibers.

I’m still using my Hornady balance beam and powder measure I got 25+ years ago.

Otherwise I got the rest of my stuff back in 2019 I was missing during Covid. Gave me something to stop the insanity. It was cheaper to buy it outside the kit as I wanted specific stuff and it would have been duplicates or improvements in quality and wasting money.

FAC7DD92-9EB8-4BCF-A4F9-7CDAD9554B04.jpeg

Last edited:
I just ran the numbers in my head as well, I’m loading practice loads for about $1.25 per round.

I can load match grade ammo for the .223 for about $7.40/box of 20.

IF you can find production ammo of the same stuff it starts at $28/box and only goes up.

Do I “save money “? Heck no.

But I sure do shoot a heck of a lot more.

ETA:

Larger center fire costs me about $3.90 a box more due to using twice as much powder than .223 does. Another reason I practice the most with .223.

Last edited:
I would hardly call an ES of 48 consistent. Several of my personal .300 PRC loads have single digit SD and ES < 20.

I can load Hammers for about $2 a round. Show me where you can find premium ammo for

I would hardly call an ES of 48 consistent. Several of my personal .300 PRC loads have single digit SD and ES < 20.
How much $$$ do you have in equipment? How much did you spend on components to get to that load? How much does it cost to load them?

How much $$$ do you have in equipment? How much did you spend on components to get to that load? How much does it cost to load them?
I spent about $250 on the kit 28 years ago.

Each of those loads were worked up within 15-30 rounds.

I told you the cost.

Hammers 130/100
Sierra BT 45/100
RL16 45/100
Primers 10/100
Brass 30/100 (assuming five loads)

Hunting load is 0.6 MOA
Practice load is 1 MOA

And, I can get it whenever I want.

A quick search showed Barnes Vortex at about $3.50 per round. Cheap ammo is over $2 per round.

I spent about $250 on the kit 28 years ago.

Each of those loads were worked up within 15-30 rounds.

I told you the cost.

Hammers 130/100
Sierra BT 45/100
RL16 45/100
Primers 10/100
Brass 30/100 (assuming five loads)

Hunting load is 0.6 MOA
Practice load is 1 MOA

And, I can get it whenever I want.

A quick search showed Barnes Vortex at about $3.50 per round. Cheap ammo is over $2 per round.
Well a quick math calculation puts you at $2.60 per round. I don't know what you are loading but a 300 prc takes way more powder. They are the exact same price already loaded as what you are spending. $52.00 a box. Cheap ammo isn't over $2.00 a round. About $1.50 for winchester in the small calibers same with federal. Anyone saying that you save money is lying to themselves. Like I said before the only real reason to reload is to use the bullets you want. This is a hunting forum so yeah if you're looking to get the absolute best you can from your rifle you'll reload but with the factory ammo available there's no need for a hunting rifle. The one thing that people never factor in is time. My time with my wife is worth more than a 16th of an inch moa.

Well a quick math calculation puts you at $2.60 per round. I don't know what you are loading but a 300 prc takes way more powder. They are the exact same price already loaded as what you are spending. $52.00 a box. Cheap ammo isn't over $2.00 a round. About $1.50 for winchester in the small calibers same with federal. Anyone saying that you save money is lying to themselves. Like I said before the only real reason to reload is to use the bullets you want. This is a hunting forum so yeah if you're looking to get the absolute best you can from your rifle you'll reload but with the factory ammo available there's no need for a hunting rifle. The one thing that people never factor in is time. My time with my wife is worth more than a 16th of an inch moa.
Your math is wrong. You likely didn’t read my supply list thoroughly. There are two bullet types there.

Loading .300 win mag, 100 rounds per pound of powder.

Cheap Federal is $1.80 plus shipping, which you aren’t factoring in. Shipping and hazmat are included in all of my costs.

I may be dumb, but I’m not dishonest. We can just agree to disagree here. Makes no difference to me.

And that ammo you are preaching the qualities of was $90.00 a box this winter. How’s that math work out?

Doesn’t matter. I enjoy developing a load, I enjoy reloading, and I enjoy shooting.

You can virtue signal all you want about spending time with your wife, and how that’s sooooo much more important than 1/16th MOA. I could care less. If you don’t want to reload, don’t. There’s plenty of threads on HT about production ammo, go spout your opinion on those.

Otherwise, back to a discussion about RELOADING.

Your math is wrong. You likely didn’t read my supply list thoroughly. There are two bullet types there.

Loading .300 win mag, 100 rounds per pound of powder.

Cheap Federal is $1.80 plus shipping, which you aren’t factoring in. Shipping and hazmat are included in all of my costs.

I may be dumb, but I’m not dishonest. We can just agree to disagree here. Makes no difference to me.
Where are you getting mag primers shipped for $10 a hundred? Or rl15 for 45 a lb? I did miss the 2 different bullets on your list. I picked up my ammo right from the store. I started reloading a long time ago With everything I have purchased over the years and time spent trying to get a hunting rifle to shoot better has really been a waste. Maybe it's because of the rifles I bought? Who knows. I know my 308 will shoot anything sub moa, my 300 wm loves federal fusion. The 260 Remington shoots the barnes I got in the deal no problem.

And that ammo you are preaching the qualities of was $90.00 a box this winter. How’s that math work out?

Doesn’t matter. I enjoy developing a load, I enjoy reloading, and I enjoy shooting.

You can virtue signal all you want about spending time with your wife, and how that’s sooooo much more important than 1/16th MOA. I could care less. If you don’t want to reload, don’t. There’s plenty of threads on HT about production ammo, go spout your opinion on those.

Otherwise, back to a discussion about RELOADING.
$52 is actual msrp. If you really want the facts I don't even pay retail for anything. That's one benefit to your parents owning a gun store. I can get anything and everything at wholesale price. So my actual cost was a lot closer to $40 a box and I got the whole case. Still everyone saying that you save money are probably the same ones who think they save money hunting for meat than buying it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back