Reloading for a beginner.

Hey, just curious what you landed on equipment and reloading-manual wise?

Don’t think I saw much discussion on the manuals, are there any out there that folks have found to be particularly good for hunting cartridges and hunting type loads that they can recommend?
Most manuals are available on line. I have used both Barnes and Nosler a lot. Alliant has load data on their website as well that I’ve used.

Hey!! Thinking about it , I have a freebie coupon for the Hornady online manual. I would post the qr thing but If I take a picture of it that would activate it. I could scan and email directly

Hey!! Thinking about it , I have a freebie coupon for the Hornady online manual. I would post the qr thing but If I take a picture of it that would activate it. I could scan and email directly
Your post peaked my curiosity, so I did a quick search of key words and found several Hornady coupons listed. Also, you might contact (call, not email/text) and ask if there is a coupon available. I'd bet that they would share info directly with you. They want your business and if they offer the coupons anyway, it might not be an issue.

Hey, just curious what you landed on equipment and reloading-manual wise?

Don’t think I saw much discussion on the manuals, are there any out there that folks have found to be particularly good for hunting cartridges and hunting type loads that they can recommend?
The Lee loading manual has a lot of loads in it compared to other manuals. Like others have said you can get load information from nosler, Barnes, Hodgdon, etc online. If you call western they will send you a free manual with all the accurate and western powders. None of them cover everything so you will probably have to source information from all of them. Bullet companies publish information of the bullet with a few different powders and the powder companies list the powders and which bullets neither have used every bullet powder combination.

The best compiled reference Series I have found.

Pick the manual for the caliber of your choice

52CD3F8E-E33F-42C6-9F01-0E313190E21A.jpeg

Last edited:
Double check all the info in Load Books. I have found discrepancies before in a couple calibers.
I’ll load box does his compile it and put it into one binder. Saves you from having to go search the web forms in by 15 different subscriptions to load books.

So if there are discrepancies, it’s in the original data

I’ll load box does his compile it and put it into one binder. Saves you from having to go search the web forms in by 15 different subscriptions to load books.

So if there are discrepancies, it’s in the original data
Yup, I have a bunch of them. They are a great quick reference. Like you say the discrepancies are in the original data but sometimes they are using old data from old manuals. They are not 100% accurate 100% of the time.

Wow, thank you all for the input on reloading manuals! Very interesting to hear that TSX, TTSX, GMX and CX bullets seem to have the same load data for each bullet weight. I’m assuming that corresponds to comparable internal vs terminal ballistics? I’m definitely interested in the copper bullets because of their good terminal penetration.

Wow, thank you all for the input on reloading manuals! Very interesting to hear that TSX, TTSX, GMX and CX bullets seem to have the same load data for each bullet weight. I’m assuming that corresponds to comparable internal vs terminal ballistics? I’m definitely interested in the copper bullets because of their good terminal penetration.
To be a little clearer,,,the charge weights will be similar but the COAL will not. You still will need to do your individual bullet/chamber measurements for seating off the lands

Wait...a couple pages ago...were these guys really arguing about how much money the other did/didn't save?

In a group of 57k reloaders and a poll was put up of why you reload. Not 1 person said to save money. Even in the comment section it was said it's funny how no one said to save money because everyone knows you don't save money. But I'm the one who isn't informed and wrong.

The rock chucker kit post before this one plus dies, plus calipers, plus a case trimmer, tumbler, media, Just to get started with the basics $800+ and you have 0 components to load. Primers non existing unless you buy from gun broker for lrp or mlrp. Cheapest $165 + shipping, 1 lb of powder if you can find it $45+ per pound. Decent brass $1+ per piece. (Wouldn't include adg, lapua, peterson). Bullets $.50 for match $1+ for hunting per bullet.

That's just to get started and that's a long way from actually being able to do any precision type of reloading. Then you get into comparator tools, chronographs, neck turning, primer pocket uniformer, flash hole deburring, and on and on and on. So yeah you'll save so much money. You know because every tool is another $200

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back