Reloading for a beginner.

I started with the Lee anniversary kit, caliper and tumbler then bought a trimmer and slowly replaced it all with better equipment.

Tough time to get into reloading. Components are so hard to find right now.

I believe I would be buying the tooling used and then waiting for the prices to come down on components before I got too carried away. This aint the 90's...lol

Press
Case trimmer
Scale
Powder trickler
Dies/shell holder
Priming tool
Chamfer tool
Primer pocket brush and/or uniformer
Flash hole deburring tool
Loading blocks/shell holder trays
Tumbler is optional

I like the Nosler load data.

Gains: great ammo you don’t have to hunt for. The ability to tune loads to your rifle. Something to do in February.
Good list. Add a dial caliper.

@Mthuntr is right components aren't going to be getting any cheaper. Anything bought 6+ months ago was cheaper retail than it is wholesale now. Don't expect anything to just start showing up in mass amounts for awhile. There's a few different types of ammo that can be had at anytime right now. 9mm, 40, 223, 556, 308 fmj, and 00 buck 12 ga. Until more factory ammo is widely available reloading components are going to be on the back burner.

I dont see prices coming down. You might see things on sale eventually but $80 primers are likely going to stay

Off topic but I just dont see how people are affording to shoot much with the prices being so high.

I would have though by this point that people would have slowed WAAAAY down on their shooting. I guess not. I think there is a pile of people out there with a pile of components that they bought at super high prices and they are going to be hung with them. Or at least I hope so.

I used to get H-longshot for $16/pound a few years ago. I seen a 1 pound can of it for $55 the other day....lol

A 340% increase in price. Lord.

@Mthuntr is right components aren't going to be getting any cheaper. Anything bought 6+ months ago was cheaper retail than it is wholesale now.
In general, this round of inflation feels "sticky". Maybe with the exception of used car prices once new car stock normalizes I expect current retail pricing of most items to remain where they are (or keep moving up). I wouldn't expect guns/ammo to be any different. In part, due to covid labor shortage/disruptions and the specter of fed crackdown on inflation few businesses are investing in increased manufacturing capacity - they are focused on wringing out profitability from existing assets and moving up their value chain. Without increases in mfg capacity (and few remaining options to move mfg to cheaper regions), there is no real reason to expect prices to go down.

Found this on Midway.
This is what I started with at least 20 years ago and still use and is all you need to get started. I added a good micrometer, case trimmer and recently a digital scale.
I'm not really a hoarder but I've amassed enough components that the current shortages have not affected me.
For me, its a fun hobby that i enjoy.

Tough time to get into reloading. Components are so hard to find right now.

I believe I would be buying the tooling used and then waiting for the prices to come down on components before I got too carried away. This aint the 90's...lol
I'm still seeing a lot of used stuff on the net. It may be hard right now to pick up off the wall wildcat brass and dies but for "ordinary" calibers there's usually lots of used stuff available. Powder and brass are still tough to get now but I'm seeing an improvement in availability especially with bullets. Premium bonded or partition stuff is still hard to find but good old standby cup and core lead .308 cal bullets can be had. I think this is actually a good time to by used basic tool components because many reloaders have given up during the prolonged shortages. Also, guys are always upgrading to fancier new tech stuff. I recently picked up a dandy used electric scale/dispenser for a bargain (but tipped the recent widow fifty extra bucks because her man was a friend of a friend). And that thing is deadly accurate. I check it all the time with my old balance scale.

I also have an old throw and cylinder style powder dispenser but it is now an ornament. That thing is hopelessly inaccurate with the 4350 rod powder I load. This Lyman electronic scale is bang on every time ... if I am careful to keep it clean. Cleaning it out to put it away is a pain in the arse but peace of mind is worth it.

Looking at starting to reload. One, what would be the minimum in equipment that I would need and two, what reloading manual/manuals would you suggest? Also, what are the gains for reloading your own ammo? I'm retired and have the time, so I don't need a elaborate setup. Also I know that reloading has been discussed alot, but not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

A few months ago I wrote an article about reloading with budget gear, then Gavin and I did a short video about it.

This link will take you to both the article, and the video. Might be helpful:

Regards, Guy

Just got a new Lymans book and in hunt for a 30-06 set-up.
Looks like I should be able to find a RCBS used and get new -06 dies,etc.
Oh boy.
Don't hesitate to buy used dies. They are built like a battleship. Pretty hard to screw them up. Lots of used balance scales available. Buy a hammer style bullet puller. Very useful and cheap. At this stage a scale should be your powder dispenser. You'll need a case trimmer. The simple two handed one Lyman makes is good enough. And a deburring tool to clean up inside of neck after trimming. And finally uninked stamp pad from crafts store for shell lube. IMR4350 is a good powder to start with. Good luck.

Edit: I made a powder funnel by cutting a 25-06 brass in half and stuffing a cheap dollar store funnel into fat end. The neck end of 25-06 slides nicely inside the neck of 30-06 brass.

Edit the edit: They sell a powder funnel but I didn't like it. First, the store had it marked at $20! More importantly, they are a one-for-every-caliber affair with a conical concave feed on the dispensing end that rests over the OUTSIDE of the shell collar. Let's say you mess up and try to pour a charge into a shell that's already got one. With my funnel I can simply pick up shell with funnel attached and tip it into powder jug. Ain't going to happen with the $20 funnel. If only loading .308 diameter cartridges, my homemade funnel is great.

Last edited:
A word of advice. Do without before buying any cheap junk. RCBS dies are lifetime guarantee so used is fine. They make some really decent stuff. The rock chucker press will not let you down.

I also have an old throw and cylinder style powder dispenser but it is now an ornament. That thing is hopelessly inaccurate with the 4350 rod powder I load. This Lyman electronic scale is bang on every time ... if I am careful to keep it clean. Cleaning it out to put it away is a pain in the arse but peace of mind is worth it.
I'm thinking here. I always found that with long powder such as 4350 and 4831 that powder measure's do throw poorly. It's the long kernals stacking poorly and leaving to much air space. Doesn't matter to me anymore as I throw all my loads light and then trickle up. Dump the powder into a case and tap the case walls a few times with a pencil settles the powder. only powders I will throw right on, I simply never have been good enough to set the powder measure. So, I only go for right on with flake powder and everything else is trickled up!

Something about getting into reloading, learn to make good ammo before you jump into it to far. Try to make loads that the rifle will consistently shoot into aprox the same size group every time. Once your there, learn to check rifle bedding and how to fix it. Got that then go into the little things that make some difference. And deside if your making hunting ammo or match ammo, to get going I'd suggest going with hunting ammo!

I'm thinking here. I always found that with long powder such as 4350 and 4831 that powder measure's do throw poorly. It's the long kernals stacking poorly and leaving to much air space. Doesn't matter to me anymore as I throw all my loads light and then trickle up. Dump the powder into a case and tap the case walls a few times with a pencil settles the powder. only powders I will throw right on, I simply never have been good enough to set the powder measure. So, I only go for right on with flake powder and everything else is trickled up!

Something about getting into reloading, learn to make good ammo before you jump into it to far. Try to make loads that the rifle will consistently shoot into aprox the same size group every time. Once your there, learn to check rifle bedding and how to fix it. Got that then go into the little things that make some difference. And deside if your making hunting ammo or match ammo, to get going I'd suggest going with hunting ammo!
My Lyman electronic powder dispenser is trickle up. That thing is the bees knees.

My Lyman electronic powder dispenser is trickle up. That thing is the bees knees.
I've read that they are, But my RCBS beam scale allow's me to trickle up also and didn't cost near as much. I have actually never been well enough off to shoot all I have so some corner's were cut. I don't have all the latest tool's but get by alright. I don't delude myself I'm a quarter inch shooter either but have got there a time or two, just never on a regular basis. I think probably the best way for the OP to start might be with an old Lee hand set. Everything is there to get going and the loads will be a accurate as a user can make. Sometimes I miss those old Lee hand set's! have a book on reloading that shows how to make a powder dipper with an old case and coat hanger, surprising what will work. between there and that Lyman electronic measure is a lot of developement. But either will throw good loads if the handloader takes his time and does it well.

I'm pretty sure if I had the money to spare I'd probably try one of those electronic scale but at this point in my life, whats the point? My son does that. Started him out with a Lee kit years ago and today he get's every new gadget that come's along, he make's better money than I ever did! he got some special RCBS press several years ago, one I'd never seen before. I think he paid $500 for it used and drove 250mi one way to pick it up, he's very proud of it. And the good part is he makes as good of ammo with it as he did with his cheap Lee! Oh yea, he has one of those electronic trickle scales too!

Ditto for my RCBS version. I still rely on my old balance beam for double checking everything.
I would rely on it for double checking too. It is amazing how accurate one of those things are! Slow but accurate!

I've read that they are, But my RCBS beam scale allow's me to trickle up also and didn't cost near as much. I have actually never been well enough off to shoot all I have so some corner's were cut. I don't have all the latest tool's but get by alright. I don't delude myself I'm a quarter inch shooter either but have got there a time or two, just never on a regular basis. I think probably the best way for the OP to start might be with an old Lee hand set. Everything is there to get going and the loads will be a accurate as a user can make. Sometimes I miss those old Lee hand set's! have a book on reloading that shows how to make a powder dipper with an old case and coat hanger, surprising what will work. between there and that Lyman electronic measure is a lot of developement. But either will throw good loads if the handloader takes his time and does it well.

I'm pretty sure if I had the money to spare I'd probably try one of those electronic scale but at this point in my life, whats the point? My son does that. Started him out with a Lee kit years ago and today he get's every new gadget that come's along, he make's better money than I ever did! he got some special RCBS press several years ago, one I'd never seen before. I think he paid $500 for it used and drove 250mi one way to pick it up, he's very proud of it. And the good part is he makes as good of ammo with it as he did with his cheap Lee! Oh yea, he has one of those electronic trickle scales too!
Keep your eye out for used digital scales/dispensers. Reloading nerds are always upgrading and dumping good stuff for the latest whiz-bang. I bought mine for $125 and was generous because I knew the old reloader's widow needed the cash. It's an older model Lyman with memory capacity for only a dozen or so loads. Pfft. I never use the memory anyway. Just key in the grains I want for that session. Takes so much time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back