Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Reloading for a beginner.

Huntkook

Looking at starting to reload. One, what would be the minimum in equipment that I would need and two, what reloading manual/manuals would you suggest? Also, what are the gains for reloading your own ammo? I'm retired and have the time, so I don't need a elaborate setup. Also I know that reloading has been discussed alot, but not finding exactly what I'm looking for.

Press
Case trimmer
Scale
Powder trickler
Dies/shell holder
Priming tool
Chamfer tool
Primer pocket brush and/or uniformer
Flash hole deburring tool
Loading blocks/shell holder trays
Tumbler is optional

I like the Nosler load data.

Gains: great ammo you don’t have to hunt for. The ability to tune loads to your rifle. Something to do in February.

Reposting from several similar threads:

---------------

One key to a good start is to buy one or two loading handbooks, I like Hornady and Nosler.

As for equipment, there are good starter kits from RCBS, Hornady, and Lee. But each has some components that are limited and often (but not always) folks end up upgrading some parts - which raises long-term overall cost. I went a different path and pulled the items together individually that best fit my intended uses. I found these two links super helpful to that end.

Building a Reloading Setup: The Essentials
Expanding and Refining a Reloading Setup

Also, these youtube channels are useful resources:

Panhandle Precision

Johnny's Reloading Bench

Vaughn Precision

GunBlue490

gavintoobe

Plus BigFin has a nice 6 part series done with Nosler:

As for "gains" - I enjoy tinkering, I like having the exact ammo I want for the job and not just what I can find at local store in a box, and I like tuning the ammo for subMOA precision.

Last edited:
Found this on Midway.
That's a good combo...you need a few things like a case trimmer and a few others that JLS listed but the scale is great, good press, and a good powder charger. RCBS has lifetime warranty though you'll likely never need it.

Rarely do kits have 100% of the stuff you need. You may also be able to piece one together for cheaper or you could go with a more basic press setup like the RCBS Partner. There are lot of variables that are tough to know what you want vs need and that's where things can get expensive.

Last edited:
All good info above. I suggest watching some of the Youtube videos for starting out from guys listed by Viking. Beware there is almost too much info online and many differing opinions.
My advice before getting started and spending money is to be realistic about why you're reloading and what you wish to accomplish. You can go kinda nuts attempting to find perfection or just load up some more accurate than factory cartridges.
For equipment I would add a chronograph if you expect to work towards precision or intend to do more than just reloading to around factory specs.
It can be frustrating at times especially with the shortage and cost of components currently but very rewarding.

Decently precise hand loaded ammo is better than factory ammo in nearly every aspect except cost. You will have a lot more options to load ammo that suits your needs and availability is almost always better than finding loaded ammo.

I should add you will never "save" money reloading. Many shooters start thinking oh I can load that round for $0.75 but then they go off in the weeds searching for a slight advantage with a new powder, new bullet, or different primers or premium brass then start shooting more and before you know it you've spent $400 worth of ammo when before you may have shot 2 boxes of the Federal Blue Box and been happy with the results.

I should second @BucksnDucks. A chronograph is a non-essential tool that will quickly become essential for loading if you want more data and they can also help parse out faults in your loading process.

I'm about 4 months ahead of you. I went with the RCBS Rebel Plus Kit. It's got pretty much everything you need and nothing that you don't. Don't go with the "Master" kit as there's a bunch of fluff in it. If you are a veteran you can get a nice discount from RCBS.

Great detailed (6 hours) review of the RCBS Rebel Plus Kit

Here's the short version:

I agree that you won't "save" money. My biggest reason for reloading is because I have a 45-70 that is pretty hard to get ammo for - at a reasonable price. And since I've got it now, I'll also do 30-06, .45 ACP, .40 S&W as well.

Last edited:
I suggest buying a used RCBS press. Tons of them out there usually very cheap. They're built like a tank so used is usually as good as new. He can get by with a press, balance scale (very cheap even new) and powder funnel, a Lee handheld case trimmer, and dies. Loading information/data is readily available on line. If he decides reloading is something he wants to do on a larger scale, he can upgrade to electronic powder scale/dispenser and case cleaner. Oh, and bullet puller is pretty much essential even for beginner. The hammer style works fine. He can remove bullets and powder from previously loaded shells when a new and improved recipe has been developed. I will go to the range with several different recipes to see what performs best, then pull the bullets and powder from the failed attempts and reload them with the winning combination. Also, on rare occasions a primer fails. With a puller the reloader can remove the bullet, save it and powder, punch out the dud primer, and start over.

I don't know if is taboo to bring up here now but you also get 25% off at RCBS if you have a OnX Elite membership.

Mainly was looking for a hobby, something to tinker with. Redoing a old car or motorcycle is going to be way to expensive. Also getting more accuracy and reliability from my ammo. Not really looking to save a bunch of money, I'll probably shoot more.

You can surely save money if you reload the large, or less popular cartridges. The large cartridges can be several dollars each from the factory, and can be reloaded for a significant savings. Common cartridges from the factory are usually competitively priced, although they are currently sometimes hard to find.

Buy quality reloading equipment. Don't be afraid to purchase good quality used equipment.

What you are reloading may change some of my suggestions.
I would also encourage you solicit in the classifieds as most people have redundancy or would be interested in trading out to trade up.

Press- I have three, one cheapest $16 lee c press that I remove primers on. I have a rockchucker that came in a “kit” a buddy sold me from his dads stuff. Perfectly good. And a Redding T7 that I keep dies for 10 guns set up in multiple turrets.

Scale- scale I like the rcbs with tenth grain measurements. I have the m500, 505 and electronic. If picking a mechanical I prefer the 505 although I use the electronic for everything now.

Dies I have a set for each rifle and leave them set up.

Manuals- much of it is online now days, I use bullet manuals more so than powder.

Case prep- a rcbs case prep came in my buddies kit. I use it for trim and chamfering.

Good advice all around, especially on the RCBS kits. I don't know that you need a case trimmer immediately to start, but they are nice. I'd add that on, as well as a case prep station like the Lyman

On load data, I prefer to match the data with the bullet and powder I'm using, so if I'm loading Barnes, I start with their data, Hornady, Nosler, same deal.

Most powder companies have online data now that is verified as well, and the Lyman reloading data book is a good one for general info on multiple bullet types & makes with varioud powders, and they include some of the more esoteric cartridges.

The Hornady book is good because of the detailed instructions on reloading techniques as well. So is the ABC's of reloading.

It's a fun hobby, and it has a lot of benefits beyond making your own ammo. Great in the winter as a slow activity, and in the summer when the heat & humidity drive you indoors. You'll spend a lot, but it's fun and I've found it really ups my enjoyment of hunting if I'm using ammo I rolled myself.

I should add you will never "save" money reloading. Many shooters start thinking oh I can load that round for $0.75 but then they go off in the weeds searching for a slight advantage with a new powder, new bullet, or different primers or premium brass then start shooting more and before you know it you've spent $400 worth of ammo when before you may have shot 2 boxes of the Federal Blue Box and been happy with the results.
Having recently fallen into the rabbit hole of reloading.

Uh...

Yes.

This.

100%

I actually found a box of Superformance GMX ammo recently and threw a few rounds downrange into a 3/4" circle.

Naw.

Boring.

That was too easy. Time to go spend 6x that $$ trying to match the performance with my handloads.

On a serious note, reloading is all about precision. And I for one was surprised how hilariously imprecise some "reloading" tools are -- particularly digital scales.

You can learn how precise your ammo is by shooting enough rounds to get a statistically meaningful sample, (hint: this is A LOT more rounds than you'll be lead to believe. Don't get me started on 3-shot groups.) or you can learn by carefully measuring with proper tools. The latter is a lot cheaper.

If you have the time, I would recommend a balance beam scale. You can get a similar level of precision with an $80 balance as you can with a $750 digital scale. A quality set of calibers and some comparator tools/guages will go a long way too.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back