Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Region 4 MT general questions

bjochem

Buddy and I are heading to MT September for 2 weeks of archery elk. We have it narrowed down to units 413, 432 and 448, primarily 432. I'm not looking for anything specific. Basically are these 3 units worth the time for a backpack hunt? What is the elk population like in the area? Bull to cow numbers good? What can I expect for company? I am assuming elevation is key for the elk to get away from pressure, would that be a correct assumption?

What was the spring like and how has the summer been for those living in the area? I have read that winter can come early so should a guy have chains for mid September? Are there wolves or grizz in the Little Belts? I read that a bear tag may be a wise investment

Are there wolves or grizz in the Little Belts?

You might see one.

I read that a bear tag may be a wise investment

I wouldn’t spend NR money for a bear tag in this area.

I have read that winter can come early so should a guy have chains for mid September?

I always have them in my truck but I’d be absolutely shocked if you needed them in September.

What can I expect for company?

Lots close to the roads and motorized trails.

Basically are these 3 units worth the time for a backpack hunt?

Yes, but be flexible.

I am assuming elevation is key for the elk to get away from pressure, would that be a correct assumption?

Not necessarily. Elevation will dictate where the best feed is though.

What was the spring like and how has the summer been for those living in the area?

Very green.

You should call R4 offices and ask for the biologists for those units and ask the last four questions.
(406) 454-5840

Thanks for the great information. 406LIFE, that is definitely on my to do list but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here too. Worst case would be nobody says anything but like usual guys on here come through.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back