Region 2 Public Land Bucks

joelweb

Spent a few days last week hunting deer with a friend in Montana's Region 2. We hunted hard and found a couple of good bucks. We packed in about four miles and basically had the mountain to ourselves. Good huntin'.

Cold Camp 2013 (1024x768).jpg

Awesome pack tent! What brand, weight, etc? Shangri-la? Size?
I picked up one of those titanium stoves (3 lbs! works great) and fabbed a light weight wall tent (12lbs) a bit heavier but double wall rip stop so it holds up to my abuse.

Freeking fantastic run of whitey / muley kills! Grats! Man, I need to buy your MT region 2 friend several rounds of moonshine to pull that "notellum" location! Grats again!

Thanks. The stove is a Seek Outside titanium box stove.

The shelter is the fly of a Shangri-La 5 with a Ti-Goat stove jack sewn in. We used a cut piece of lodgepole as the center pole, and some house wrap for a partial floor. It was around 18 or so degrees at night and the wind was blowing hard. We stayed toasty with that stove glowing red hot. It worked great.

Just be careful with your nylon clothing in those tight quarters...

I haven't weighed the entire setup and need to do so.

IMG_0641 (721x800).jpg

Note that the damper is missing from this photo. We had to remove it temporarily because the spark arrestor was clogged.

Last edited:
I have the same stove. Like you said, it works fantastic! I purchased the "Large" total weight w/ pipe (9') 3lbs.

Seek Outside was recomended by another hunt talk member (Dinks?, Summit? or Oak?) out of Colorado. Great company. Took a bit to receive the stove though a great box stove product. I compared the tube style w/ the box style - personal preference, though for myself, I find security in a flat top to warm up food / liquid.

Man, that pic right there is a KING for those interested in lightweight WARM backpack setups!

Great bucks. Amazing how many places you hunt mulies and whitetails from the same area.

That's awesome! Looks like a great mountain whitey and a fine muley.

Congrats, Joel. Those are two great public land bucks. Love the way you guys packed in and went after them. The eye guards on that whitey are impressive.

Well done, Joel. I'm curious how frequently you have to stoke the fire in those little stoves.

They'll burn for 30 minutes without need for attention if you stoke them with some nice rounds. If your sleeping in a smaller teepee or shelter, you just reach over, open the door, and shove in some wood. I am impressed with how well this stove drafts. You can get it red hot.

They are best for warmth in the morning, midday, or the evening, but are not a replacement for a good sleeping bag during the night when you are trying to sleep.

Joel, how stable is the stove? I've got a cylinder stove from Ed T and my chief complaint was that it was fairly wobbly and the door was too small to get wood in it. Which was a pain in the are given most wood for the fire is small limbs with knots and branches that catch on the door.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back