Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Recommended Scope rings, tikka t3x and vortex crossfire II

aggiejon

Just got in a new Tikka T3x in .300WSM. I am planning to put a 1" tube Vortex Crossfire II with a 50mm objective on it. What are the recommended scope rings that are bolt on, and will give safe clearance from the scope and barrel of the rifle? Some research has indicated some modification on some rings may be necessary. I want a truly bolt on that I can set right and forget. Thanks in advance!

I had Talleys on my T3X but moved to Hawkins Precision Long Range Hybrid rings when I replaced my 1” scope with a 30mm scope. The Hawkins rings are like Talleys on steroids with built-in cant and a bubble level. Both rings have worked fine but I will probably try Sportsmatch rings on my next Tikka.

The is the best advice I've seen compiled, imo: Scope Mounting to Maintain Zero
It may seem excessively detailed, but I feel that it's worth it. Talley's are good, I have the DNZ one piece on my kids gun, right now I use a bedded Seekins rail and ARC rings. The Sportsmatch come highly recommended. As far as height it's just a bit of math. I'm not sure what you're thinking you'll have to modify. You can lap them if you want.

It may seem excessively detailed, but I feel that it's worth it. Talley's are good, I have the DNZ one piece on my kids gun, right now I use a bedded Seekins rail and ARC rings. The Sportsmatch come highly recommended. As far as height it's just a bit of math. I'm not sure what you're thinking you'll have to modify. You can lap them if you want.
From product description on Midway USA site, "some modification may be required." i don't recall which rings this was on.

I would never use a scope mount where "some modification may be required" short of lapping them. Get the Talley's...call them and ask them I have scope X and gun Y which do you recommend. Likely going to be medium rings but it could be high also.

That would depend on your base.
I use EGW bases. Being rather tall they allow me to use low rings, even with my 50mm objectives.
Plus the base is really solid!
For rings on my Crossfire IIs (i have 2 of them) i've been using Vortex Viper aluminium rings.
If weight is not too much of a concern then i like Warne rings.

Which is interesting.
I've been in contact with people overseas, mostly Australia and New Zealand, that have stated of issues regarding Talley rings.

I wonder why overseas, and not here.

I have the Talley’s on mine. I have used the Warne, DNZ’s, and also the Mountain Tactical one piece base and Leupold PRW rings with no complaints. The Talleys gave me the appearance and weight I wanted with my current setup. I think all will do fine for you.

I have Talley Lightweights on 6 of my rifles, from .223 to .300 Weatherby. Three are on Weatherby Vanguards, two on Mauser Mark X, and one on a Rem 700. Two are for 30 mm tubes, and the other four are 1". I think I've had them on the two Mausers since the early '80s and just put the last pair on the .223 a couple of weeks ago. Two of these rifles are magnums, I've taken three of the rifles on multiple international hunts, and one of them has many years in a leather saddle scabbard. I've never had any problems with any of them.

I basically followed Form's instructions...
Appears to be working for me. Tikka, 6.5 CM, Sportsmatch Rings, SWFA scope.... i didn't use the pink nail polish. I wasn't as comfortable in my manliness and went with clear.

I did remove lots of oil.

10 shots, cold to hot, off bags as seen below. 143 ELDx 100 yards, 6X scope.
20190829_122329.jpg20190829_122339.jpg

bought a set of Talley rings. installed and adjusted. so far I'm pleased. Remains to be seen how well they hold zero once I get to the range.

For the record, I went Talley Medium rings for a 50mm 4-12 vortex crossfire II. My desired eye relief pushed the scope significantly forward, which required the rings being mounted with the rings closer together, but at all initial testing, should clear ejection without issue. Ready to get to the range and find out! Scope has been mounted and bore sighted, so now to see what it does in real life!

The only thing I would say on the Tally's is to just keep an eye out for cracks. It probably won't be an issue for most people, but I've seen a few cracked sets from folks that shoot a lot and are a little hard on their guns.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back